Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interested in relocating to NH Grafton (or Keene etc.)  (Read 8730 times)

Jerry B

Re: Interested in relocating to NH Grafton (or Keene etc.)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:41 am »

I wrote:

I'm a 50-something fuddy-duddy, and I like a quiet peaceful area, so as far as location I am going to stay away from the Keene State College area, the high school, and the police station which seems to be to the far right on the map/satellite images. And I also think I'll stay away from the major shopping center areas. I hope this isn't in bad taste, or insulting, but are there particular neighborhoods or streets that I probably should stay away from? For example, I have read that the drug problem (opiates, etc.) is also in Keene. Are there specific streets where that is a problem? I hope I haven't offended anyone.

What I meant as far as "where I should stay away from," was in terms of a prospective home/house/apartment where I would want to live (like I wouldn't want to live in or near a known "bad neighborhood," etc.). I just wanted to clarify that because I'm still not that familiar with Keene.

Jerry B

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 08:00:28 am »

Well, while it didn't entirely answer my question, I did manage to find out about the "Free Streets Project" and I found that to be particularly helpful information.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 09:05:36 pm »

most of Keene is very quiet .... the North and West edges of town are very quiet. Those were our preferred bike routes
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Jerry B

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 12:08:03 pm »

Thanks for your reply Russell. I've spent a lot of time looking at info on Keene, including taking "virtual trips" through various areas via Google street view. The neighborhoods to the west and north do look favorable. I have looked at the "Free Streets Project" area that I mentioned, and it does look like a nice neighborhood but it's a little too close to the center of the city, I think. And I don't think I will be living near the Keene State College, though. (I've been in the Boston area for years, enough with the "snowflakes." Sorry for my offending remarks.  ::)) I would more likely be living in a house than an apartment. Although I would probably get an apartment at first because it is unlikely that I'd find the "right" house right away.

If I am able to buy a house, I am not even sure it will be in Keene, maybe in Swanzey. One of my minor issues is that all the homes in Keene seem to be on the public water supply. On the Internet, I don't think I've seen any homes for sale with a private well and septic. Are private wells not allowed in Keene? Even the more expensive homes in the more "secluded" areas do not seem to have their own private wells. (I've been in the Boston area for many years. In 2010 a water main burst and it was part of the main water supply, and they had to hook up a temporary access to "pond water" as the source of water. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Boston_water_emergency] During times like that, I become a "snowflake." It was very distressing. Am I "spoiled"? I guess so.)

Another thing is that many homes in Keene, including the larger ones (like 1800 sq. ft. and up), only have one bathroom. There should be a full (or at least 3/4) bath in the upstairs and at least a 1/2 bath in the downstairs.

I do like the fact that there are so many places for shopping, especially all the grocery stores. I don't like to order stuff online.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 12:54:01 pm »

if you are outside Keene, then you can get your own well water and other systems .... and things are cheaper
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything