Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What was your experience finding and keeping a job?  (Read 7369 times)

jeremiahg

What was your experience finding and keeping a job?
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:49:04 pm »

I am currently looking into job opportunities in NH, and have even submitted a few applications.  Please understand that I have not yet taken the pledge, but I'm definitely leaning toward NH. This is question is addressed to all Freestaters: Did you move to NH with a job already in place (as I am trying to do), or did you move to NH first and look for work once there?  What is your profession, and what were your experiences like finding work?  Did your first job opportunity work out, was it difficult to find work again if it didn't?  Btw, my main area of professional experience is Tech Support, though I do have some personal experience with programming and digital media.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: What was your experience finding and keeping a job?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:08:26 am »

For me, it was a mix. I moved with a temporary job, then made my own job once that expired. I was a college professor; I still adjunct, but my main jobs are more administrative now. It's definitely easier to find work here once you already live here, but I understand the hesitation in moving without a job guarantee. Still, if I can do it, anyone can - the academic job market may be the most difficult in the country.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

jeremiahg

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:35:58 am »

Thanks for the input.  Good to hear work is out there if you need it.  :)

lildog

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:50:36 am »

I am currently looking into job opportunities in NH, and have even submitted a few applications.  Please understand that I have not yet taken the pledge, but I'm definitely leaning toward NH. This is question is addressed to all Freestaters: Did you move to NH with a job already in place (as I am trying to do), or did you move to NH first and look for work once there?  What is your profession, and what were your experiences like finding work?  Did your first job opportunity work out, was it difficult to find work again if it didn't?  Btw, my main area of professional experience is Tech Support, though I do have some personal experience with programming and digital media.

Tech jobs are fairly easy to get in southern NH.  Even easier if you are willing to drive into MA (and pay MA taxes).

There are a couple head hunting agencies that specialize in tech jobs.  If you can get in touch with them I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something in the area.

rook

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:41:54 am »

Great discussion... what about people that work everyday jobs? Like myself, I am a retail office supervisor for AAA in Delaware. Just throwing that out...

Rook

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:50:53 pm »

I had a job in Mass and moved to NH. I still have the same job.

I would definitely recommend expanding your job search to Mass. New Hampshire has absolutely abominable corporate taxes. So, companies are super discouraged from incorporating, or principally operating, in New Hampshire (which is the key reason New Hampshire currently has the worst economy in New England). Therefor, most of them establish offices in Mass. Mass actually has reasonable corporate tax rates. For most small corporations, paying the Mass income tax is actually less expensive than paying New Hampshire's crazy rapetastic corporate/dividend taxes.

If you really wanted to work in Tech Support in NH to avoid paying Mass income tax yourself, Comcast has a large support office that they're opening and staffing in Londonderry, Dyn in Manchester is usually hiring tech support people, and there are tons of smaller tech companies in Nashua.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:52:52 pm by anon37268573 »

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »

(which is the key reason New Hampshire currently has the worst economy in New England).

Based on the numbers that I've seen, RI has the worst economy in New England. RI has one of the worst economies in the nation, even. What numbers are you using? I believe the unemployment rate is substantially lower in NH than RI. Taxes are lower. Pay is higher. There are far less people on the various types of government assistance.

For the OP:
Overall tips on finding a job in New Hampshire. Get a NH or at least northern MA phone number. Get a NH address if possible. Consider talking to a NH professional on how to improve you resume and update it for NH. If you come up to NH to a liberty event like Liberty Forum, PorcFest, Freecoast Festival, Burning Porcupine or Keenevention, try to schedule interviews or at least check out area job fairs around the same time. The best place to start is here, IMO. http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=11718.0

SBottari

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 04:33:29 pm »

Seems lots of us have IT experience. We should just join together and start an IT company. I'm tiring of TN and really want to make the move early next year.
"The cheek of every American must tingle with shame as he reads the silly, flat, and dishwatery utterances of the man who has to be pointed out to intelligent foreigners as the President of the United States."
   -The Chicago Times review of After Lincoln's Gettysburg Address

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 09:32:21 pm »

I am a designer and front-end dev and I moved without a job, but secured one within 2 weeks of moving! Unless you're senior or executive level, don't expect to secure a job prior to moving.

Blackberie89

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 01:43:19 pm »

I'm having a horrible time finding a job. I'm about to graduate from law school and looking for policy, government affairs, research, lobbying, legislative positions and have had no success. I would love to be in New Hampshire.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:16:56 am »

Very, very few lobbyists in NH. Not much for them to do.

I recommend joining a legal practice just to get your footing. We have several successful lawyers who moved with the FSP. Take a look at the Martin & Hipple practice. They are open to hiring really good legal talent and are very busy.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Марина

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 08:15:31 pm »

Engineering professional with a successful job in the state secured prior to move, have held it after moving and received performance-based bonuses and pending raise. We are hiring aggressively. Sorry but I really prefer to keep details confidential, but there is a relatively large number of engineering firm opportunities in the state if you're not picky.
My handle is my name in Cyrillic. Among friends please call me Marina Fyodorovna. I am descended from political exiles from the bolshevik tyranny, so I am very passionate about liberty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything