Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unemployed penniless hitchhiker moving to new hampshire  (Read 3705 times)

Jaspervenat

Unemployed penniless hitchhiker moving to new hampshire
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:57 pm »

I Dont entirely know if newhampshire is a suitable environment for me. as i intend to hitchhike there from the west coast in a few months. I dont want to be homeless, I am willing to work/ volunteer, i can support myself. im not a freeloader. if you have any adivce or information for support, like organizations who do as i do, living off the land rather than off a paycheck, or anything similar, please let me know.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Re: Unemployed penniless hitchhiker moving to new hampshire
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »

What's a few months? Like Nov Dec?  I wouldn't recommended it.  Winter is not a good time to travel cross country by foot.  On the other hand you could wait till late April and I could get your free plane ticket to Manchester NH with the five bazlillion airline miles I have from work.  Then make your way to Porcfest in June by foot, while enjoying the sites and sounds of NH in spring.  Although you'd need a photo ID and potentially submit yourself to a pat down.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

slothman

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:19:28 am »

Although you'd need a photo ID and potentially submit yourself to a pat down.

That's why I don't fly.

Karl Appleby

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:57:20 am »

Start here ... http://www.wwoof.net/ ... you'll at least have food and a place to stay while you can look elsewhere for work in your free time, but apply now as farms figure out their next year in the prior Fall.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:39:54 am »

Please don't die. IMO, it really doesn't make sense to move to NH in the fall or winter if you don't have any money. Consider rethinking that strategy, for your safety.

Jaspervenat

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:47:13 pm »

okay so recap. i know winters a baaaad time, if i wait till april one of you mentioned you would pay for my plane ticket (thats awfully kind of you), and please elaborate on farms and other employment options... housing?

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:29:18 am »

okay so recap. i know winters a baaaad time, if i wait till april one of you mentioned you would pay for my plane ticket (thats awfully kind of you), and please elaborate on farms and other employment options... housing?

The link http://www.wwoof.net/ or Googling it should explain everything. Basically, there are 100s (1000s?) or farms all across the country that let people stay and work there part-time for a short amount of time. If it works out, sometimes you can stay a whole season and find another part-time job nearby to pay bills and save money. You might be able to transition that into living at and working at a ski area or something.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:49:54 pm by 1DayAtATime »

sweetpotatojames

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »

In addition to wwoof, there's also www.helpx.net. Same thing, except it includes more options than organic farming, such as hostels, home stays, non-organic farming, etc.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bardo Farm. Sounds like the thing you're after, plus it's run by Free Staters. http://bardoproject.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up