Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to move in right away, but so many questions to settle first  (Read 2240 times)

Livingliver

Hi, 24 M from MD. I want to move to New Hampshire and be part of the Project, but there are so many concerns to address first.

1. Housing. I'll need a place to live as soon as I get there and I'm too poor atm to afford a hotel. Is it possible I can camp out in someone's yard or crash on their couch until I find a job?

2. Jobs. Ok, thats relatively straight forward, but its hard enough for me to get a job here, let alone in a state I'm not a resident. I'm not picky with jobs though, I have experience as a medical receptionist and international experience when I taught english for a year in China. I have a degree in business.

3. Once I get a job, life should be much easier. But I'll still have to adapt to local life. That should be the funnest part though.

Anyway. Can anyone offer advice on these areas? Would my 2000 dollar savings be enough to move in with and get settled?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: I want to move in right away, but so many questions to settle first
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »

I recommend doubling your savings, at minimum, to have something for security deposits and unexpected expenses. For landing in NH to look for a job, I recommend http://www.porcmanor.com .
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Eric Freerock

• Moving Summer 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:25:24 pm »

First thing I'd do if you're looking for work is get a NH phone number. 

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:41 am »

Hi, 24 M from MD. I want to move to New Hampshire and be part of the Project, but there are so many concerns to address first.

1. Housing. I'll need a place to live as soon as I get there and I'm too poor atm to afford a hotel. Is it possible I can camp out in someone's yard or crash on their couch until I find a job?

2. Jobs. Ok, thats relatively straight forward, but its hard enough for me to get a job here, let alone in a state I'm not a resident. I'm not picky with jobs though, I have experience as a medical receptionist and international experience when I taught english for a year in China. I have a degree in business.

3. Once I get a job, life should be much easier. But I'll still have to adapt to local life. That should be the funnest part though.

Anyway. Can anyone offer advice on these areas? Would my 2000 dollar savings be enough to move in with and get settled?

Entry level (and better) jobs are available all over the place. Today, driving in Manchester, I saw more than 15 places with "Help Wanted" signs out (I stopped counting at 15), and not all of those were fast-food or the like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up