Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First time in NH  (Read 8175 times)

Libertard

First time in NH
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:44:31 am »

Hello freedom lovers,

I'm coming to New Hampshire for the first time. I'll be working in Laconia beginning August 6, staying for at least a week. Anything going on that I should know about? Any local gems, festivals, bars, or venues to recommend? Anything happening in Manchester or elsewhere over that weekend?

Thanks!

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
Re: First time in NH
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:32:26 am »

August 4-10 Grafton's annual Burning Porcupine Festival.

http://BurningPorcupine.ORG

Libertard

Re: Re: First time in NH
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:43:36 pm »

Thanks for the response, I'll look into it.

I have another inquiry regarding my trip to NH. I carry a firearm pretty much everywhere I can legally do so. Unfortunately, NH does not recognize my Texas CHL. So my question is: how open carry-friendly is NH for someone without a valid permit? For example, can I carry in my vehicle openly and loaded? Are there any off-limits places other than the "usual" courthouses, jails, bars, etc.? Will I be harassed by pedestrians and/or LEOs? In my experience, some states make open carrying difficult to impossible, even if it is technically legal.

Thanks for reading.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:44:30 pm »

For Laconia the list would be long. You need to narrow down your interests for a me to make a suggestion.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »

I have another inquiry regarding my trip to NH. I carry a firearm pretty much everywhere I can legally do so. Unfortunately, NH does not recognize my Texas CHL. So my question is: how open carry-friendly is NH for someone without a valid permit? For example, can I carry in my vehicle openly and loaded? Are there any off-limits places other than the "usual" courthouses, jails, bars, etc.? Will I be harassed by pedestrians and/or LEOs? In my experience, some states make open carrying difficult to impossible, even if it is technically legal.

Carry in a car is considered part of the "concealed" statue, regardless of whether or not it is visible.  Unload when you get in the car, and you're set (having the magazine in a separate pocket is fine - as long as it's not actually inserted in the firearm).

The issue is pistols and revolvers that are both concealed and loaded.  Concealed and unloaded is legal without a license.  Open, whether unloaded or loaded, is legal without a license.

If you applied for a NH license ASAP, you might get it in time for your trip.  It's $100 for non-residents (only $10 for residents), so you'd be wasting $90 versus waiting until you move, but if you want to be able to carry right away, that would solve the problem.  Unlike Texas, there's no training requirement, photographs, fingerprints, or any other such nonsense, so it's quick to process (they only have 14 calendar days to issue or deny).  It's a single-page, single-sided form: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

I don't know if they are required to mail it to your home address, or if you can arrange to pick it up in person once you get here (which would avoid the issue of it being in the mail to your home while you're on your way here).

The only places that are off-limits in NH are courthouses (well, and jails, but I doubt you'd want to visit jails while here).  That's the sum total of NH's law on the matter.

Some bar owners or other business owners may not be amenable to open carry, but the most they can do is ask you to leave; there's no law against it (unlike what you're used to in Texas, where a "no guns" sign on a private business can result in criminal charges if ignored).  Generally-speaking, though, that's extremely rare; NH has the best gun laws in the entire Western world, and we have that because the people are pro-gun.

I open carry on a regular basis (particularly during the summer when it's too hot to bother with a vest, sometimes), and I've never had the slightest trouble.  Occasionally folks will ask questions (usually because they want to compare my pistol preference with their own).  There's actually a formal opinion issued by the NH Attorney General stating that the mere presence of a firearm would not cause any reasonable individual to experience fear, so open carry can not be cause for a "disturbing the peace" charge, or such.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:13:50 pm »

I think he could be charged with trespass... for entering a premises where he is not privileged to do so.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 10:43:17 pm »

I think he could be charged with trespass... for entering a premises where he is not privileged to do so.

No.  If he was asked to leave, and did not, he could be charged with trespass.  But in the case of a business that is open to the public, that is his invitation.  A "no guns" sign would apply to an object, not the individual, so it would not remove his permission to be there.  I suppose they could put up a "no gun owners" sign, but that would mean excluding much of the population; would be an interesting court case, though, as if a court ruled that such was allowed, then it would open the door to other discriminatory signs ("no Blacks," "no gays," "no Christians," etc.) - I highly doubt that any court in NH would uphold such a legal theory.

No, the only way you can be charged with trespass for entering a publicly-accessible business, would be if you were asked to leave and refused.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Libertard

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »

Thanks a lot for the information. It's unfortunate that you need a permit to carry loaded in your own vehicle. Otherwise the laws seem fairly lax.

Excited for my visit!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »

Thanks a lot for the information. It's unfortunate that you need a permit to carry loaded in your own vehicle. Otherwise the laws seem fairly lax.

We're working on it.  The trouble is that it's hard to get folks upset enough to get active, because the license is just so ridiculously easy to obtain.  Fill out a few lines, pay $10, pick it up in a few days.  Philosophically, I'm opposed to the requirement but, objectively-speaking, it's so trivially-easy to get that the majority of the population just says, "meh, who cares" when it comes up for discussion.

Give it a few years, and the requirement will be gone.  It actually passed the House a few years ago, but one of the Senators added some anti-gun nonsense to the bill (for example, it would have become age-restricted, whereas currently there's no minimum age as long as those under 18 have parental consent), so the House justifiably killed the amended bill rather than add such anti-gun extremism to the laws.  If I trust my kids with guns, it's not the government's business to interfere...

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:26 pm »

I don't see it as a "who cares" issue. We are safer as a society (both gun owners and non-gun owners) when concealed carry is the norm. The question of whether someone is armed is much more of a deterrent.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 06:27:46 pm »

I don't see it as a "who cares" issue. We are safer as a society (both gun owners and non-gun owners) when concealed carry is the norm.

Most folks don't care about the license, though, because it's so easy to get.  I care, because it's wrong for the State to require someone to ask permission to exercise a human right.  But the majority of the population just doesn't care, because nearly anyone can get one with no real trouble.  If it was hard to get a license, like it is in Texas or other such places, then there would be more push for eliminating the requirement.  As it stands, though, rallying support is hard, because most folks who want one can get one so easily that they just aren't going to get up in arms about fixing what they consider a minor problem, when there are so many other problems that exist.

It'll happen, though.  Just takes time.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 06:38:34 pm »

No.  If he was asked to leave, and did not, he could be charged with trespass.  But in the case of a business that is open to the public, that is his invitation.  A "no guns" sign would apply to an object, not the individual, so it would not remove his permission to be there.  I suppose they could put up a "no gun owners" sign, but that would mean excluding much of the population; would be an interesting court case, though, as if a court ruled that such was allowed, then it would open the door to other discriminatory signs ("no Blacks," "no gays," "no Christians," etc.) - I highly doubt that any court in NH would uphold such a legal theory.

No, the only way you can be charged with trespass for entering a publicly-accessible business, would be if you were asked to leave and refused.
   635:2 Criminal Trespass. –
    I. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place.
    II. Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor for the first offense and a class B felony for any subsequent offense if the person knowingly or recklessly causes damage in excess of $1,500 to the value of the property of another.
    III. Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor if:
       (a) The trespass takes place in an occupied structure as defined in RSA 635:1, III; or
       (b) The person knowingly enters or remains:
          (1) In any secured premises;
          (2) In any place in defiance of an order to leave or not to enter which was personally communicated to him by the owner or other authorized person; or
          (3) In any place in defiance of any court order restraining him from entering such place so long as he has been properly notified of such order.
    IV. All other criminal trespass is a violation.
    V. In this section, "secured premises'' means any place which is posted in a manner prescribed by law or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, or which is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders.
    VI. In this section, "property,'' "property of another,'' and "value'' shall be as defined in RSA 637:2, I, IV, and V, respectively.

Doesn't seem to matter that it is a private business open to public access. It would become a 'secured premises' once posted. And according to (b) that would make knowingly entering a criminal trespass. Whether the owner, or designated representative of the owner, would press charges is questionable.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:17:36 pm »

Doesn't seem to matter that it is a private business open to public access. It would become a 'secured premises' once posted. And according to (b) that would make knowingly entering a criminal trespass. Whether the owner, or designated representative of the owner, would press charges is questionable.

Yes, it would become secured premises if it was posted "no trespassing" in the manner prescribed by law (detailed in 635:4).

I think you'll find that very few businesses put up "no trespassing" signs at their doors.  It tends to make for few customers.

There's no provision for a conditional sign that disallows those who presently have guns on them, and no one else.  It's all or nothing.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 05:19:56 pm »

Check out the Liberty Calendar:

http://freestateproject.org/events/liberty-events-new-hampshire

Direct link (a little easier to read/navigate):
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=d908tl7v755t4rfvag6vm55ib8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

There's so many early movers here now there is pretty much something happening every day,
especially in the greater Manchester area.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 01:34:26 pm »

First of all not sure what you mean by "libertard" but you should keep in mind that although we do have our share of right-wing jerkoffs, NH elected Obama twice and has a Dem governor.

Addressing your open carry foolishness: you carry a sidearm openly in NH and you more stares than two transvestites making out in public in Birmingham Ala. This is not some redneck paranoid state. But you are welcome, bring lots of money to spend.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up