Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone explain to me why some of the Free Keeners are named "Freeman"  (Read 4681 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

So, what about a drivers license, or a passport, or your IRS/tax forms?  Or if you need medial attention, or get a speeding ticket, or want to apply for a loan, or a bank account?

In NH, there's a specific check-box to opt-out of having your SSN attached to your driver's license.  Can't imagine why I'd want a passport, or to deal with the IRS (I live quite simply, so my income is below the filing threshold).  Not sure why I'd even possibly need an SSN to get medical attention - usually, a number really won't treat some medical problem, so it's better to use a doctor for that.  Nor can I think of any reason why an SSN would be related to a speeding ticket.  I've gotten loans, and not needed an SSN.  But, I deal with real people, not banks, for such things.

You mention that you have a SSN, can you drop it or disconnect yourself from it?

There's no procedure to remove an SSN.  It's sort of like herpes - once you have it, you're stuck with it, so the best plan is not to get it in the first place.

You kids don't have one, will this effect them into the future in any way?

The SSA warns that they may, unfortunately, not be able to accurately track how much they "owe" you, if you don't get one.  I can't imagine how that matters.  If they run into some situation where they decide it's easier to have one, they can make that decision; we weren't about to saddle them with something that can't be un-done.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xxi/263/263-40-a.htm

263:40-a Social Security Numbers; Addresses; Application Form Options. –
    I. (a) An applicant for a driver's license who has not previously been licensed to drive a motor vehicle in this state shall provide his or her social security number in the application. The applicant shall be given the opportunity to determine whether to have his or her social security number retained in the records of the department of safety. The application form shall include a box to check off if the applicant does not wish to have his or her social security number retained in the records of the department.

winterboarder

There's no procedure to remove an SSN.  It's sort of like herpes - once you have it, you're stuck with it, so the best plan is not to get it in the first place.

Here is the form to cancel you SSN: http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-521.pdf

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

I. (a) An applicant for a driver's license who has not previously been licensed to drive a motor vehicle in this state shall provide his or her social security number in the application. The applicant shall be given the opportunity to determine whether to have his or her social security number retained in the records of the department of safety. The application form shall include a box to check off if the applicant does not wish to have his or her social security number retained in the records of the department.

Exactly.  You can specifically opt-out of having it attached to your license, and there is quite obviously no requirement that it bear the same name that you currently use, despite the bureaucrat's attempt to tell Ian otherwise.

No, actually, it's not.  That's the form to cancel receiving Social Security payments.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom

I love this analogy. :)

John Edward Mercier

• Native

Exactly.  You can specifically opt-out of having it attached to your license, and there is quite obviously no requirement that it bear the same name that you currently use, despite the bureaucrat's attempt to tell Ian otherwise.

No, actually, it's not.  That's the form to cancel receiving Social Security payments.
It might if he is providing it as one of the formats to identify himself.

john.dsi

Here's an interesting theory, although I doubt it's true.

Valve is a corporation that operates as a government should; with the least possible intervention. They've got quite a history, actually, for those unfamiliar with them, I'd highly recommend checking it out. One of the founders, Gabe Newell, has done a lot of lectures and AMAs on a variety of topics. He's a sharp guy. Anyway, the main character of their first hit game was Gordon Freeman.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything