Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NH almost the least religious state  (Read 12543 times)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
NH almost the least religious state
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:01:58 am »

Second only to Vermont. Yay!

States across the South and Utah once again keep their high ranking on an annual list of the most religious U.S. states. Vermont leads the pack of least religious states.

http://www.livescience.com/43064-most-least-religious-us-states.html

Argentum

Re: NH almost the least religious state
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:43:53 pm »

Second only to Vermont. Yay!

States across the South and Utah once again keep their high ranking on an annual list of the most religious U.S. states. Vermont leads the pack of least religious states.

http://www.livescience.com/43064-most-least-religious-us-states.html

Why "Yay!"? 

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52:25 pm »

Because 2nd place is still pretty good and we're only behind by 2 points. That's something we can work on!

Argentum

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:35:49 pm »

Because 2nd place is still pretty good and we're only behind by 2 points. That's something we can work on!
Sorry for not being clear.  Why is it a good thing?

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:50:36 am »

I guess it depends on your POV. From my POV, I think it speaks well for the FSP that they picked one of the most secular states. It doesn't surprise me that one of the least religious states was also one of the most libertarian. I hear there's another similar project for religious folks encouraging a move to South Carolina.

realquiet09

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:36:28 am »

I'm a libertarian who is moving to New Hampshire . n Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior . Guess I won't have a hard time finding a seat. fascism is all about tolerance as long as you tow the line. try working on freedom that includes religious freedom

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:53:03 am »

try working on freedom that includes religious freedom

You think I don't? Let me ask you something. Do you think you should be free to evangelize about your beliefs and use persuasion to convince others, without threats or violence, of course, to share your beliefs?

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:33:48 am »

I guess it depends on your POV. From my POV, I think it speaks well for the FSP that they picked one of the most secular states. It doesn't surprise me that one of the least religious states was also one of the most libertarian. I hear there's another similar project for religious folks encouraging a move to South Carolina.

I doubt NH being the 2nd least religious state was a large factor in NH being selected. I don't even remember the issue coming up in any of the which state papers.

Cory Burnell admitted the Christian Exodus Project he created was partly modeled after the FSP. The Wikipedia page is hilarious. Cory said he couldn't even find a job in SC (or the border areas of NC and GA.) Maybe Cory has no skills other than failing to copy the FSP success? 15 families moved for the project... Heck, even the failed copycat called Free State Wyoming did better than that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Exodus

SC, WY, NC... they all agree that the FSP is a good idea. They all fail to actually understand the idea. They try a modified version where they live, or where they want to live. They fail.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:09:01 am »

I doubt NH being the 2nd least religious state was a large factor in NH being selected. I don't even remember the issue coming up in any of the which state papers.

I don't think it came up as part of the selection process, but I think it has a huge impact on the liberty culture on NH, which obviously was part of the selection process.

Those who think critically about the role of government, are also likely to think critically about religion, as well.  Those who are highly religious tend to be highly supportive of the government, and of using the government to impose their beliefs on others.

Not all of them, of course, but a very high percentage.

NH, in generally, does not have a highly-religious culture.  On the other hand, NH, in general, does tend to have a fairly spiritual culture.  In other words, a lot of folks still have their spiritual beliefs, but few are strongly-dogmatic about it.  Live and let live.

So, for example, you're not likely to walk into a town meeting and hear it opened with a prayer.  But if some group wanted to pray out front before entering, and someone complained, the most likely response would be, "they're not hurting you; respectfully ignore them if you don't like it."
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

realquiet09

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 10:29:39 am »

all I can be is transparent  and give testimony of what it's done in my life . I'm not here to change mans opinion that's up to the individual . I try not to even persuade my children. I would like for them to think and come up with their own conclusion  . I apologize for insinuating anything about you because I don't know you . now the question for you is how  do you reckon that we could make New Hampshire the number one least religious State ? should we have all religious people register themselves so we know who to work on ? enlighten me.  you seem to rejoice in the fact  that we can achieve this by getting 2 more percent of the populace to be less religious . Why is this important ? I know that's two questions.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »

I don't think it came up as part of the selection process, but I think it has a huge impact on the liberty culture on NH, which obviously was part of the selection process.

Exactly. It would have been very bizarre for that to be a specific criteria. As I've already said, I just don't think it's a random coincidence that a very libertarian state was also less religious considering how much religions have had a role in controlling people historically, often times through the state, and if not, through other means. That said, I do think things like blue laws would have been pretty discouraging to libertarians. In Georgia, for instance, you can't buy alcohol on Sundays.

I apologize for insinuating anything about you because I don't know you.

You say that but then you present this ridiculous straw man--

should we have all religious people register themselves so we know who to work on ? enlighten me.

--that you know is absurd considering the question that you pointedly avoided answering. Allow me to simplify it. Do you believe in total free speech up to and possibly including evangelizing about one's particular religious beliefs? The question applies whether you personally intend to partake of that freedom or not. Do you believe in it for others?

I'll answer really quick for you to expedite this conversation a bit. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

"Yes, of course I believe in free speech, Dalebert. I'm a libertarian!" -realquiet09

Then you have answered your next question because that's how I intend to do it (my part, anyway)--using my free speech. I would posit that you're also doing it right now. You're arguing the merit, or at least the harmlessness of religion against me arguing why less religion is a basically good thing. Yay for free speech!

Why is this important?

Because fantasies don't solve problems. Understanding and embracing reality does. Fantasies are fine. I enjoy them. I'm a big fan of fantasy role-playing games. But getting them mixed up with reality is a bad idea. I generally feel free to use my free speech to dispel any irrational beliefs whether those beliefs are based in religions or not. That includes the belief in statism. Are someone's particular religious beliefs irrational? That's a matter of opinion but we should all feel free to talk about it. That's how we all progress and learn. I personally treat the words "religion" and "irrational" as nearly synonymous because the former calls for embracing a particular belief based on faith rather than basing your beliefs on logic and evidence. If someone's beliefs aren't like that, they'd be hard-pressed to convince me it's a "religion".

I'm actually fairly spiritual fwiw. I'm a fan of Alan Watts. And I'm totally up for discussing anything he's said which you believe to be irrational.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »

all I can be is transparent  and give testimony of what it's done in my life . I'm not here to change mans opinion that's up to the individual . I try not to even persuade my children. I would like for them to think and come up with their own conclusion  . I apologize for insinuating anything about you because I don't know you . now the question for you is how  do you reckon that we could make New Hampshire the number one least religious State ? should we have all religious people register themselves so we know who to work on ? enlighten me.  you seem to rejoice in the fact  that we can achieve this by getting 2 more percent of the populace to be less religious . Why is this important ? I know that's two questions.
I'm not sure that the majority wishes to go backwards.

Argentum

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »

Some general comments.

Liberals, especially environmentalists, are extremely religious.  Their religion is secular.  And they are very statist in orientation.  They literally worship the government.  The people that liberals, and many libertarians, called religious conservatives, are in my view hardly that religious at all.  It's all superficial.  They've thrown in the towel.  They have pro-military sermons.  They don't believe in good and evil anymore.  They accept the secular religion of Psychiatry which has replaced good and evil with mythical concepts like mental health and mental illness.  True Christians, Muslims and adherents to Judaism (not the same as Jews) should be radical in their devotion to liberty.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »

I try not to even persuade my children. I would like for them to think and come up with their own conclusion.

Do you take them to a church, synagogue, mosque, or something along those lines on a regular basis?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:05 am »

Some general comments.

Liberals, especially environmentalists, are extremely religious.  Their religion is secular.  And they are very statist in orientation.  They literally worship the government.  The people that liberals, and many libertarians, called religious conservatives, are in my view hardly that religious at all.  It's all superficial.  They've thrown in the towel.  They have pro-military sermons.  They don't believe in good and evil anymore.  They accept the secular religion of Psychiatry which has replaced good and evil with mythical concepts like mental health and mental illness.  True Christians, Muslims and adherents to Judaism (not the same as Jews) should be radical in their devotion to liberty.
So you believe that no religion is based on the environment? And liberals supported same-sex marriage and choice because they are in opposition to liberty?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up