Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BEST PLACE TO MOVE TO  (Read 3523 times)

RONK

BEST PLACE TO MOVE TO
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:32 am »

Hi,my wife,child and I live in NJ and we want out.We've been thinking about it for some time but now it's time to do something about it.I sell/manage a gun department in an independently owned outdoor store,I've been in the gun industry in NJ for almost 30 years.I also have a small landscape(just cut grass)/snowplowing company.We've been to NH once to visit a cousin that lived in Goshen and I've never forgotten our few days there.NJ is expensive,we pay over $6000 in property tax on one acre of property,people in NJ tend to be rude and self-centered.The big question for us is where do we start looking?We'd like to be an area where we can find work,safe,good people,etc.We'd like at least a few acres of property but also near shopping.We're friendly,honest hard working people and NJ is trying suck the life out of us.Thank you all for any help you may give us.

freedomroad

Re: BEST PLACE TO MOVE TO
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »

Welcome to the Forum!

When it comes to moving, most people start with renting a house, apartment or condo. Where to start? Most of the people in NH live in southeastern NH. If you are also planning on doing lawn/driveway work in MA (where a ton more people live), you might want to consider being near the MA border.

I recommend you or your wife or both of you visit for a few days during Porcfest this June. If for some reason you haven't moved here by Feb. 2015, also come up for a few days during Liberty Forum.

The best place to start your housing search: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=23669.0
The best place to start your job search: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=11718.0

You should like NH. Instead of having just about the worst weapons law, it has just about the best. Instead of being relatively dangerous, it's relatively safe. Obviously, the property taxes are lower in NH, not to mention in wage tax or general sales tax.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:33:04 pm »

I'm biased -- I think no place is better than north of the notches!

After we attended PorcFest 2006, we decided that Lancaster was our town. We finally made it here from Texas, six years later.

There aren't a lot of "jobs" here, but there is plenty of work. If you've been doing landscaping and snow removal, you understand the difference. People tend to want "jobs", when they'd be better off finding work. Anyone up here with any gumption can find work, any time of the year.

RONK

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:21:49 am »

Thanks,I've been reading some good things about the Concord area.I think a good population base nearby would help my employment option.Can anyone please add to the Concord area please? .The only bad thing  I've ever read about NH is the high property tax,how bad are they?Thanks again.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:47:43 am »

The only bad thing  I've ever read about NH is the high property tax,how bad are they?

Property taxes vary from 0 to $30+ per thousand.  It's very town-specific.

It's also dependent upon property value; a town with low-value property might have a high rate, but because of the low values, the actual amount of taxes paid would be small.

Property taxes are calculated each year by taking the budget, and dividing it by the value of all of the property in town.  So, the rate changes each year, and a change in the local budget will directly change the amount of taxes collected (unlike a fixed sales or income tax, where the government gets whatever it gets, and then comes up with ways to waste the money).

Generally, the taxes that each town collects will relate to the services that are provided.  A town with city water and sewer, trash pickup, lots of streetlights, sidewalks everywhere, etc., will typically have higher taxes than a town where folks have their own wells and septic systems, take their own trash to the dump, don't worry about having the place lit up like daytime all night, and are willing to walk on the dirt shoulder of the road.  It's sort of an a la carte deal; pick the town that provides what you want, and pay that price.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

lildog

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:08 pm »

NH is an unusual state in that depending which part you go to it can be completely different.  I live in Merrimack so I'm bias.  We're half way between Manchester and Bedford so there is easy access to large shopping areas.  We're only an hour drive out to the ocean or to Boston.  And depending on where you are in Merrimack it feels like you are in the middle of the country.  I have 6 acres with conservation land behind me so I could walk out into my backyard and hunt or plant a huge field of crops and in 10 minutes I can be in a shopping mall.

If you are looking to open a gun shop though Merrimack already has two so not sure it could support much more of a market.  The further toward the coast you go the more liberal the state becomes so they aren't as tolerant there.  Further north is big on hunting and camping so you might find a good location there but the population is also a lot less dense the further north you head too.

SaveTheClockTower

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25:00 am »

So far I've visited Keene, Nashua, and Concord plus some of it's suburbs like Bow and Pembroke .  Going back to Nashua and Hollis tomorrow.  I'm trying to find a town with privacy, room to breathe, but close enough to a larger town/city for jobs and shopping.
Any suggestions for small towns in these areas that I haven't already mentioned?   A town square/village green (like in Keene)  would be great.

lildog

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:56:13 am »

So far I've visited Keene, Nashua, and Concord plus some of it's suburbs like Bow and Pembroke .  Going back to Nashua and Hollis tomorrow.  I'm trying to find a town with privacy, room to breathe, but close enough to a larger town/city for jobs and shopping.
Any suggestions for small towns in these areas that I haven't already mentioned?   A town square/village green (like in Keene)  would be great.

I'm bias to Merrimack.

It's halfway between Manchester and Nashua.  Plenty of jobs and close enough to commute into MA depending what you do for a living.  Depending where you live in town, parts are very wooded and private while others are developed with new houses.

Plus Merrimack has the outlet mall and the Budweiser plant, both worth checking out while visiting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up