Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General questions???  (Read 2769 times)

hkenne79

General questions???
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:23:22 am »

First off my name is Henry, and I am interested in joining fellow freedom fighters in New Hampshire. I am a 25 year ex-military college student wondering if there are any decent colleges in New Hampshire besides Dartmouth? Also, I have a question about the cost of living in New Hampshire, is it expensive; like rent and things of that sort?

freedomroad

Re: General questions???
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 03:34:48 am »

First off my name is Henry, and I am interested in joining fellow freedom fighters in New Hampshire. I am a 25 year ex-military college student wondering if there are any decent colleges in New Hampshire besides Dartmouth? Also, I have a question about the cost of living in New Hampshire, is it expensive; like rent and things of that sort?

Welcome!

Rent for a bedroom in someone else's house varies. The lowest I've seen recently is $200 a month plus a share of utilities. For your own place? I've seen boarding houses for $400 a month in a decent part of Keene, including all utilities. For a 3 bedroom? I've seen $750 in the worst area of Manchester. Maybe $900+ for a 3 bedroom in a decent part of Manchester. What do houses cost? In western and northern NH you find the occasional great deal of under $100,000 for a 3 or 4 bedroom. Personal income and general sales taxes? None. Liquor taxes? None. Cigar taxes? None. Estate taxes? None. Death taxes? None. Gambling taxes? None. Internet taxes? None. Food prices are about average. Auto insurance? The lowest in the nation. Health insurance? Above average? Wood heat? Below average. Electric heat? Above average.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: General questions???
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »

Some Free Staters have rooms etc. In my first year I paid 300/mo and could have gotten some work too, had I stayed longer. The next year my landlord found me an arrangement with a friend who let me stay in an RV on his place for 50/mo and also paid me for occasional work. And the next 2 years I got a better deal where I paid about 100/mo with another friend for my RV space plus he paid me for more steady work, like carpentry, gardening, labor etc, about 20 hours/wk.

So, if you talk to a lot of Free Staters, they'll probably help you find something that works for you. It helps if you comne to NH and circulate, meeting folks in person. But phoning etc can accomplish a lot too. Many like to chat and some like to help out-of-staters move to the Free State.
Pages: [1]   Go Up