Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: best airport for private pilots to land/tie-down for Porcfest?  (Read 16670 times)

Auspicious Aspect

Re: best airport for private pilots to land/tie-down for Porcfest?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »

No. Greap is using the correct definitions.

So, by your definition, middle-class people are wealthy, and ethnic diversity equates to the state being homogeneous? Hilarious.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 02:02:54 pm »

So, by your definition, middle-class people are wealthy, and ethnic diversity equates to the state being homogeneous? Hilarious.

I don't know the facts and data, but I'm gonna take a stab at what seems like an odd way of thinking here. First off, when you're judging the wealth of a state as opposed to an individual, then median income seems very relevant. More of the population being middle class than in poverty compared to other states seems like a sign of overall wealth of that state. By similar reasoning, you seem to be judging homogeneity via some arbitrary personal standard, e.g. you think it has "great ethnic diversity" while John is using a more objective standard, i.e. in comparison to the other states which was the point in the first place, and he's saying it's 3rd from the bottom.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 10:35:09 am »

Correct Dale. I think that AA is concerned that this may be seen as a barrier for others seeking to move here.
And AA would be correct in that NH absorbs cultural variations at a pretty strong rate.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:46:14 am by John Edward Mercier »

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:29 am »

I don't know the facts and data, but I'm gonna take a stab at what seems like an odd way of thinking here. First off, when you're judging the wealth of a state as opposed to an individual, then median income seems very relevant. More of the population being middle class than in poverty compared to other states seems like a sign of overall wealth of that state. By similar reasoning, you seem to be judging homogeneity via some arbitrary personal standard, e.g. you think it has "great ethnic diversity" while John is using a more objective standard, i.e. in comparison to the other states which was the point in the first place, and he's saying it's 3rd from the bottom.

Median income is a terrible way to judge overall wealth if you want to be accurate, since you have no idea of the outer edges that are being represented. If you want to know about the overall wealth of an area, you need to look at a typical resident, not someone whose income is extraordinarily high or low. Your relevant measure would be the mode, not the mean. In NH's case, the most typical incomes cluster in areas below that of "wealthy."

He didn't state any standards or give a cite at all, he simply made an assertion. And it's an assertion rooted in incomplete or false data, or bias. I have lived in states other than which he mentioned, which have much less diversity than NH. Iowa, for instance. This is an area of professional interest to me, not just a forum exercise; I have trained and worked as a geographer/cartographer, and have conducted field studies on the makeup of populations.

Planethosting

• Near Death Experience
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »

I wanna go on a plane ride, I will trade car rides, and/or web services...
From Babylon, to Samaria, to Egypt, to now Rome, with the aid of The City of London, the District of Columbia, and hooded spirits such as the one they call Lucifer...we are being ruled spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and then physically.  Less so if you understand the true source, nature, and techniques of 'spell casting' by our oppressors.  We are defeated in the spirit realm, first, because many don't believe in the power of, or understand, such things...unlike our rulers, who are the most powerful spiritual organization on the planet, and represent the absolute darkness and proliferation of the occult.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:43 pm »

Median income is a terrible way to judge overall wealth if you want to be accurate, since you have no idea of the outer edges that are being represented.

Outliers add bias to data, using median for population studies is how you eliminate the outlier problem. If you want to understand the bounds then looking at poverty rates and millionaire rates is apropriate.

If you want to know about the overall wealth of an area, you need to look at a typical resident, not someone whose income is extraordinarily high or low.

You know this contradicts your previous sentence right? You can't say that outliers are important and then dismiss them a sentence later.

Your relevant measure would be the mode, not the mean.

No it would be median, what everyone is discussing. I'm not sure where you got the absurd notion that anything other then median is appropriate for population studies, economics and sociology use median almost exclusively.

In NH's case, the most typical incomes cluster in areas below that of "wealthy."

Wealthy in terms of what? NH has far fewer low-income individuals then all other states and a higher proportion of high-income individuals then most other states, that makes it a wealthy state.

He didn't state any standards or give a cite at all, he simply made an assertion. And it's an assertion rooted in incomplete or false data, or bias. I have lived in states other than which he mentioned, which have much less diversity than NH. Iowa, for instance. This is an area of professional interest to me, not just a forum exercise; I have trained and worked as a geographer/cartographer, and have conducted field studies on the makeup of populations.

NH is mostly white and most of the white population share the same ethnicity. What is it that you think homogeneity means?

anything