Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: best airport for private pilots to land/tie-down for Porcfest?  (Read 16947 times)

Boston T. Party

Any fellow pilots flying in this year?
Any comments/advice regarding my two nearby choices for ASEL (Airplane Single Engine Land)?
Arriving VFR from the west.

KHIE - Mount Washington Regional Airport
KBML - Berlin Regional Airport

Thanks,
Boston
Do what thy manhood bids thee do, from none but self expect applause.
   ~ Sir Richard F. Burton

Boston T. Party

Re: best airport for private pilots to land/tie-down for Porcfest?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »

OK, I'll zoom out with my query:  Are there any pilots at all in the FSP?

The only aviation thread I could find was a commercial helicopter pilot offering to split costs from Maryland years ago.

Thanks,

Boston
   ~ Sir Richard F. Burton

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »

I'm sure there are, probably not on here though.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:10:17 am »

The only aviation thread I could find was a commercial helicopter pilot offering to split costs from Maryland years ago.

Thanks,

Boston

The only Pilots I know are 2 past presidents. I FB messaged 1 of them with a link to your post.

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:33:48 pm »

Thanks,

Boston

The only Pilots I know are 2 past presidents. I FB messaged 1 of them with a link to your post.

That worked... :) There's also, Kevin. I think he's single-engine current (it's been quite a while since I flew something with a 5-digit or smaller MTOW).

Some friends from here in the Keene area flew up a few years back (a radio host and his pilot buddy, maybe in a 172 or 182?). They used Mt. Washington Regional in Whitefield. It's a fairly short drive from there to Rogers (~20 minutes maybe). 4001x75 fits just about any single nicely.

I'll ping Kevin and see if he wants to chime in.

V-
Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

aworldnervelink

• Question Your Assumptions
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:20 pm »

Yes, I am current, and I think Mount Washington Regional should work out just fine for VFR. You might actually have more trouble on the ground because the airport is a ways from the highway and not well marked. I drove by there a few months ago and the facilities are pretty sparse, so I don't know if you'll get an actual rope tiedown, but according to AirNav there is self-serve 100LL available by credit card.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »

We picked up a guy at that airport .... so it worked for them.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Boston T. Party

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:11:12 pm »

aworldnervelink, thanks for the info.  I can tiedown in turf if there are no hardpoints.
You prefer KHIE over KBML?

No rental cars at either, so I'll have to offer an airplane ride in exchange for some ground transportation.
I suspect there are some traders at PF.

Varrin, you've gotten all spoiled in multis and jets with G1000 panels.  IFR during VMC. 
In fact, it's so bad they have to pay you to fly that way, you poor man! 

I hand-flew a 172 last year 300 hours to 18 states and the thing hadn't an autopilot or even rudder trim.
Or fuel injection.  Or retractable gear.  Or XM Weather.  Or heated seats.  Or . . .

Varrin, go jump in a Cub or something before "them 'puterized" cockpits ruin you for good.
 ;D
Boston
   ~ Sir Richard F. Burton

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:18 pm »

Varrin, go jump in a Cub or something before "them 'puterized" cockpits ruin you for good.

That's a seriously good idea. I did hear about this guy bringing a 172 to PorcFest. Hmmmmm.... ;)

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

Boston T. Party

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:05 pm »

That's a seriously good idea. I did hear about this guy bringing a 172 to PorcFest. Hmmmmm.... ;)

V-

Glad you think so.  Hope to see you at the airport.
Don't forget some recurrency training for carb heat, steam gauges, and whiskey compass.
 8)
Boston
   ~ Sir Richard F. Burton

Boston T. Party

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:27 pm »

I think the national ratio of pilots is about 1:300, so I expected more here than just 2 or 3.
Any theory on why pilots are so underrepresented in the FSP?

At any rate, I'd be surprised now if I flew out to Porcfest.  After a disheartening experience in another thread,
I no longer believe that I will encounter enough people there with whom I sufficiently resonate.
And I will miss the ones that I do.

Best regards, and good flying!

Boston
   ~ Sir Richard F. Burton

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 05:17:51 pm »

[color=green
At any rate, I'd be surprised now if I flew out to Porcfest.  After a disheartening experience in another thread,
I no longer believe that I will encounter enough people there with whom I sufficiently resonate.
And I will miss the ones that I do.

Boston[/color]

Boston, please do not assume that the people posting here are representative of Porcs in NH or those who will be attending Porcfest.
One factor is that many have moved on to places like Facebook. 
Another is the folks who actually move here engage in real-life activism and social meetings instead of online activities.
I would wager that "your kind of people" will be in the majority, so please don't change your plans.   :) 

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 11:18:44 pm »

Boston, please do not assume that the people posting here are representative of Porcs in NH or those who will be attending Porcfest.

He's talking about me. My writer's group will be sponsoring two panels and helping with Buzz's Big Gay Dance Party. I'm not really going to force-hug him to get my gay cooties on him. That was just a joke. He doesn't have a sense of humor so I feel the need to clarify that. Never mind. He's got me on ignore. Someone tell him I'm not actually going to put my gay cooties on him.

Another is the folks who actually move here engage in real-life activism and social meetings instead of online activities.

It's true. I've lived here seven years and have engaged in all kinds of activism from protests to politics to volunteer work to media. Probably a reason I post more here is because I hate Facebook and I deleted my account.

I would wager that "your kind of people" will be in the majority, so please don't change your plans.   :) 

Yeah, just steer clear of the Big Gay Dance Party. They may not all be as thick-skinned as I when you or your buddies that you recently brought to the forum call them satanic queers or occult Masonic overlords for supporting equality of the sexes. Might want to steer clear of Free Keene and Free Talk Live. Oh, and probably any strong, self-respecting women. There may be a few of those wandering about. They're easy to pinpoint. They'll be openly disobeying their men and burning their bras. You'll be fine.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »

I fear MR. Manly, does not want hang with me either Jerry, I of course am crushed.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

Boston T. Party

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 01:51:19 pm »

Jerry, thanks for courteous reply and welcome.

I attended and spoke at 2012 Porcfest.  In one aspect I was very surprised at the overall tenor
of the crowd, i.e., the majority unarmed.  Of the ~25% who were armed about 20% of
them seemed trained and tactically tuned.  Rogers is a beautiful campground, but there's no place to press triggers.
Nothing wrong with smoking a joint, but I saw much more of a drug culture than a shooting culture.  Just not quite my scene. 

People and culture are just different out West than back East.
Out West, snotty behavior to man can get one's clock cleaned. 
We don't take shit out here, especially from those considered our social, moral, and masculine inferiors.
People like dalebert and PatK hide behind my adherence to the NAP, and they know it.
(Notice they can't help but migrate over here to a pilot's topic?)
I don't mind disagreement, but I do abhor shabby behavior in public. 
I measure my wealth by what and whom I can afford to ignore and leave alone. 

Our Wyoming Cowboy culture is very strongly libertarian, and quite tolerant, but we have the decency not to
rub odious behavior in each other's faces.  "Gay" people are not hassled, but sissies are ridiculed.
"Cowboy up!" and "Man it the f*ck up!" are mantras out here, and unashamedly so.
We're happy with our women, and they're happy with us. 

In short, I would rather be a Man first and libertarian second, than the reverse.
Over the past weeks I'd not seen much FSP forum alignment with that sentiment. 
If that seems to change in the future, do let me know.

And thanks again for the decent reply. 
Give me a holler if you're ever out this way; we'll go shooting.

Regards,
Boston
   ~ Sir Richard F. Burton
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up