Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reddit: Why is NH considered the state with the most freedom?  (Read 7520 times)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
reddit: Why is NH considered the state with the most freedom?
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:08 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/newhampshire/comments/1wq9sj/why_is_new_hampshire_considered_to_be_the_state/

I live in New Jersey, and when I looked up online which states have the most personal freedoms (I was expecting Texas) I found that New Hampshire was #1 Source. Why is that? Can someone here summarize why NH is so free?

29 comments as of this posting.

janes_riordan

Re: reddit: Why is NH considered the state with the most freedom?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:15:33 pm »

One thing I notice is you get the sense of freedom and contentment as soon as you step foot in New Hampshire. I remember that shortly after arriving here, I was talking literature with a dude working at Taco Bell 8) and was impressed by how he really didn't have any complaints at all about the State. And it's been like that with practically everyone I've met-- everybody seems to generally like it here. No complaints!

For now, I live on the Seacoast, across from the ocean at Hampton Beach. And there are signs on all the entrances to the beach that say "no dogs allowed". And everybody and their mother still bring their dogs to the beach. And some people ride their horses there, and the horses (and the dogs) do their business on the beach and nobody picks it up, despite the other signs warning of something like immediate summary decapitation for not doing so. For me... and you might think this is stupid (I do!)... this is symbolic of the fact that there is a New Hampshire spirit that says "we are going to do what we do" whether you like it or not. Whatevah, yous... Freedom, liberty, live free or die and all that... AMEN!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:52:33 pm by janes_riordan »

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

And there are signs on all the entrances to the beach that say "no dogs allowed". And everybody and their mother still bring their dogs to the beach.

Something similar happened in L.A. They passed a new ordinance like that on the beach and people kept bringing their dogs. They had some incidents that resulted in the ordinance. It seems like the idea to to pound it home very clearly that if your dog bites someone he WASN'T EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE THERE! hehe. Any new incidents become fairly black and white at that point and dog owners are hopefully more inclined to take responsibility for potentially dangerous dogs that haven't been properly trained and socialized. Meanwhile, no one gives a flip about the wiener dogs and Pomeranians.

I didn't mean to make that sound like I'm disagreeing with you about the atmosphere though. I get that same sense from the atmosphere here after having lived here for many  years.

lio45

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:30:40 am »

On the topic of personal freedoms, I actually happen to like that map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_seat_belt_laws.svg

Pages: [1]   Go Up