Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH should repeal all HOAs and Covenants  (Read 3124 times)

Offroad603

NH should repeal all HOAs and Covenants
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »

This being the Free State Project, I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about restrictive HOAs and covenants.

As a NH resident I live in a community with some restrictive covenants.... they aren't overly restrictive, but next time I buy a house I will make sure I don't live in a community that has restrictive covenants or an HOA.   

One of the main points of the Free State Project should be to abolish all covenants and HOAs. 

freedomroad

Re: NH should repeal all HOAs and Covenants
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:50 pm »

Welcome to the Forum! The FSP's only goal is to recruit 20,000 liberty activists that move to New Hampshire. Each individual has their own ideas. I agree with you that for many people, it doesn't make sense to live in a HOA. Thankfully, these are much less common in NH than in much of the nation. Needless to say, I don't live in such a community.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:56:50 pm »

Abolish contracts?

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:30 pm »

Abolish contracts?

You bring up a good point. It is the responsibility of a party to read and understand a contract before entering into said contract. If I was looking at buying a condo, I'd like to meet the owner, talk to as many folks that live in the building as possible, have a lawyer read the contract with me, compare it with other condo contracts and so on. We are talking about a $50K - $150k investment here.

Offroad603

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:08 pm »

Yes they should be abolished in relation to real estate.  While you choose to live where you live, there is a limited number of places that fit in any budget and meet the needs of the people for that household (commute, schools, etc).  

I don't think my neighborhood would be any less desirable without covenants or an HOA.  We can live with what the current covenants are, but if I had the opportunity to get rid of them I would.

According to the covenant document we must go in front of the town planning board to change anything.

b2b_dna

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »

You're apparently concerned the covenants take away rights you may want to exercise.

By contrast, were you to put your rusty old cars on blocks in your front yard a la West Virginia, you would be devaluing my property next door.  So the covenants ensure that I have a vested interest in behaviors that affect my property values, even if the behavior is yours.

(The economic principle at work is the concept of "externality"--your actions may impose costs on others.  The proper economic, free market solution is to assign the "recipients" of your behaviors some property rights.  Which is exactly what covenants do.  Can they be overbearing?  For sure.  Because I lean libertarian and not anarchic, I value how some community norms protect my interests.)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:37 am »

Yes they should be abolished in relation to real estate.  While you choose to live where you live, there is a limited number of places that fit in any budget and meet the needs of the people for that household (commute, schools, etc). 

I don't think my neighborhood would be any less desirable without covenants or an HOA.  We can live with what the current covenants are, but if I had the opportunity to get rid of them I would.

According to the covenant document we must go in front of the town planning board to change anything.

Then find the opposing party that placed the covenants into the deed (contract) and ask them what the price will be to remove it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up