Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selective Service registration  (Read 3565 times)

madgeometer

Selective Service registration
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:41:00 pm »

Hi everybody,

I'm really excited about the Free State Project. and I really want to move to NH and live free! Last I checked, though, the state of NH makes Selective Service registration a prerequisite for going to college, getting a driver's license, etc. Is this still the case? If so, this is certainly a deal breaker for me!

Are there plans afoot to get those state laws repealed?

Thanks,
Mike K

freedomroad

Re: Selective Service registration
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:19:59 pm »

Hi everybody,

I'm really excited about the Free State Project. and I really want to move to NH and live free! Last I checked, though, the state of NH makes Selective Service registration a prerequisite for going to college, getting a driver's license, etc. Is this still the case? If so, this is certainly a deal breaker for me!

Are there plans afoot to get those state laws repealed?

Thanks,
Mike K

For going to a government college and accepting massive welfare payments in the form of subsidized tuition? I don't know. Maybe that's a law. Try going to a non-government college. Problem solved. Of course, to get federal money to help you attend any college, you have to register with SS. Heck, federal law says you have to register. I know the Amish living a traditional lifestyle don't have to register. And females don't either. You could try to get around the law if you want federal and/or state welfare be becoming Amish or female.

I don't remember the driver's license thing but NH is the only state where you don't even need a driver's license or learner's permit (which isn't offered in NH) to drive. Just have never applied for a driver's license in any other state, drive while an adult over the age of 24 is in the passenger seat and if pulled over, truthfully tell the police officer that the passenger is teaching you how to drive.

I don't know of any bill to lower that barrier to entry for people wanting welfare to attend government college. As for the driver's license thing, I don't know what the law is nor of any effort but perhaps there is such an effort? If not, you could lead it :) I think what some people do, more because they are lazy on the issue than anything else as far as I can tell, is just keep their current driver's license.

http://www.sss.gov/Fsdrivers.htm
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:24:18 pm by 1DayAtATime »

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:07:59 pm »

From what I can find, Selective Service is currently optional and opt-in as far as driver's license application is concerned. Here is a post on it (the bill it references, which would have changed it to opt-out, does not appear to have passed)

http://susanthebruce.blogspot.com/2013/01/nh-sb32-changes-to-selective-service.html
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:52 am »

From what I can find, Selective Service is currently optional and opt-in as far as driver's license application is concerned. Here is a post on it (the bill it references, which would have changed it to opt-out, does not appear to have passed)

http://susanthebruce.blogspot.com/2013/01/nh-sb32-changes-to-selective-service.html

I don't read it exactly like you. Though, based on my reading of that, neither the current state law, nor the state law proposed in 2013 requires folks to register for the federal required SS program to get a DL in NH.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »

A number of folks choose to keep their current DL current from their state of origin. I'm not familiar with all the legalities of it or the difficulties. I'm sure it varies from state to state. I'm also not sure if everyone who does it is being strictly legal about it but I don't think it's a really big deal. Not a lawyer though. That's probably obvious.

madgeometer

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:23 am »

So is there any plans to get those laws repealed? I'm not a NH resident, but am willing to do anything needed to get that done.

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:30 pm »

So is there any plans to get those laws repealed? I'm not a NH resident, but am willing to do anything needed to get that done.

Which law do you want to get repealed? People have successful repealed/reformed dozens of laws here. Someone needs to convince a member of the NH House to propose a bill. Then the bill works through the process. People testify on the bill and so on. If you get the process started on something, I'm sure you could convince others to help you by cosponsoring, testifying, calling and so on, as long as what you were trying to do was pro-liberty.

As for the federal law limiting welfare, I'm in favor of that. Even if I was opposed to it, it's a federal issue so there is nothing I can do. It's like that in all 50 states, btw.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:17:01 pm by 1DayAtATime »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 08:08:47 pm »

The laws tying federal funds to Selective Service wouldn't be a NH issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up