Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NH HB492 on Marijuana bill  (Read 11334 times)

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
NH HB492 on Marijuana bill
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:09:29 pm »

I have been listening to the live stream of the NH house while it considered HB492, the marijuana legalization bill.  It got passed it first hurdle and made it through the house (refereed to commitee) by a razor thin margin thinner than the number of representatives in the house that were brought to NH by the FSP.  It's a first step, but proof that the FSP is making a difference in NH.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

janes_riordan

Re: NH HB492 on Marijuana bill
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »

Concord Monitor: State House votes to legalize, tax marijuana

Not really. They referred it to the Ways and Means Committee.

Still, it's time to see how my own house representatives voted. If they approved of marijuana legalization, I'll be calling them tomorrow to tell them they have my support for the future! If they voted against, then I'll call them to tell them that I don't support them and that I'll do everything I can to ensure their defeat in the next election...

Bazil

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:51:12 pm »

You can check here.  The last vote is the most important one.  You can see how your rep voted by clicking on the details for the vote.  As you can see with them first trying to table it, then voting to kill it, then reconsidering, then they tried to table it again, then they finally passed it.  Only a few votes in either direction could have killed it.  What doesn't show there was after passing it was amended, at which point they tried to reconsider again so they could kill it, lucky the last reconsideration vote failed, so now it moves on to the next step of weighs and means.  It should come out of there with more support.

Edit:  On a side note they killed the license plate scanner bill that would have allowed police to covertly collect data about drivers by a wide margin (it would have legalized stop light cams, speed cameras and all the stuff we hate about traffic enforcement in other states).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:18:52 pm by Bazil »
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »

Bazil

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »

I was listening and I didn;t even realize it was 4:20 lol.  Too bad it was HB492 and not HB420, but that would be too ironic I supposed.  Marijuana bill 420 passed as 4:20.  The governor would have to sign it for karma's sake.

MikeTTA89

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

I just checked my reps, 2 voted No, 1 Excused (what does this mean?) and 1 voted Yes.  All 4 have Rs next their names.  I sent emails to all of them, curious to see if they respond.

Bazil

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:35:46 pm »

I just checked my reps, 2 voted No, 1 Excused (what does this mean?) and 1 voted Yes.  All 4 have Rs next their names.  I sent emails to all of them, curious to see if they respond.

Excused means he/she couldn't be there.  I believe a dozen or so were excused for family emergencies.

dumbthumbs

• Viurem Iliures o Morirem
    • @dumbthumbs
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:21:20 pm »

My observation from outside NH: The best tactic to avoiding a veto from Maggie would be to follow up on the votes of the "representatives" as the bill makes its way to her and provide a large volume of support or disapproval (depending on which way they voted) to show her that a veto would be a very bad move politically.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
-Frédéric Bastiat, The Law
“The greatest purveyor of violence in the world : My own Government, I can not be Silent.” -Martin Luther King Jr.

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:45 am »

I am curious about how the “driving under the influence” thing is going to work if the cannabis bill passes. My question is how is it going to be determined by police that someone is currently high when they are driving their vehicle? A drug test will not work, because showing that someone has THC in their system certainly does not mean that they have JUST smoked, or even that they have smoked in the last couple of weeks – they could have had a *legal* joint 3 weeks ago in the safety and comfort of their own home, and not smoked at all today. Unless the person has a lit pipe/joint/whatever in their car at the time of the traffic stop, I see no way police would be able to enforce this…yet I am seeing a lot of people justifying the bill in part because it will not “allow” smokers to smoke & drive. Thoughts?

Bazil

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 12:05:01 pm »

I don't think the bill prohibits smoking and driving, which is one of the arguments that some of the reps used to try and kill the bill (thinking we'd have people all over the road smoking pot).  However it was pointed out that the argument is a red herring because there is already a law on the books which prohibits people from driving under the influence of substances which could impair their driving.  So the question "how could a cop know?", could be extended to just about every medication on the market that says "don't drive or operate machinery."

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:25:53 pm »

What would happen to smokers who continue to buy from dealers to avoid taxes? Would it be just as illegal as it is now?

Bazil

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »

You can read the bill here.  It will likely change though.

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 03:00:21 pm »

Right, it has a lot to say about people under 21, and about those dealing with cannabis, but I didn’t see anything about what happens to an individual who purchases cannabis for his own use from an unlicensed dealer.  I may be just missing something?

Bazil

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »

I suspect it'd be tax evasion.  Also you need a special license to sell it.  It seems like it does have stuff built in to it can start out legal though.  People who posses it will be able to sell seed to a licensed facility without a license.  Many medical marijuana laws always confused me since it allowed companies to grow and sell it yet didn't provide a legal means to buy the seed to begin with.  Not sure what happens if both people are unlicensed, you can give it to someone no problem though.  As long as it's an once or less, anymore then that and the old laws still apply.

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »

It seems to me that most people will spend extra to purchase legal cannabis IF they know that buying “underground” would mean the possibility of an arrest. Otherwise, why pay a 15% tax? Obviously saying that dealers cannot deal without a license is not going to stop them from doing so. Personally, I don’t think it should be taxed at all, and that the ethical choice to not cage peaceful people is reason enough. And sure, tax evasion could technically be a charge, but I seriously doubt the state would ever employ the amount of agents necessary for enforcement. Am I just missing something?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up