Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lowering property taxes in your town ?  (Read 5702 times)

Karl Appleby

Lowering property taxes in your town ?
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:36:20 pm »

Hello,

I was wondering the protocols one would have to go through to get a reduction in property taxes as a warrant article for the next annual town vote ?

Any information would be helpful, i would personally like them removed completely but i dont see that as happening as of yet.

Thanks.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Lowering property taxes in your town ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:34:32 pm »

It's all about the budget, especially the school budget. Whatever tax rate is needed to balance the budget, given the assessed base, is automatically applied.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Karl Appleby

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »

So who in the small town government creates the budget or assesses taxes ?

Theres no way individuals in a town can get the budget lowered or removed through a warrant article vote ?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:07:08 pm »

Theres no way individuals in a town can get the budget lowered or removed through a warrant article vote ?

I live in a city that doesn't have warrant articles, but my guess is that you would have to have a warrant article targeting a line item in the spending budget, but perhaps someone in a town can jump in & give more info here. In general, the town meeting would set the town budget, and the school board would present and develop the school budget, which voters would then have to approve.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:14:31 pm »

The people actually vote on the budget line by line if they want in NH. If you want to live in the 20 communities without property taxes, live in 1 of them. If you want to live in a low property tax town, move to 1 or encourage the locals where you live to cut property taxes. It's up to the people of the town. You can even pass both a spending and tax cap for both the town and school district, if the community you live in wants to...

Karl Appleby

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:17:01 am »

The people actually vote on the budget line by line if they want in NH. If you want to live in the 20 communities without property taxes, live in 1 of them. If you want to live in a low property tax town, move to 1 or encourage the locals where you live to cut property taxes. It's up to the people of the town. You can even pass both a spending and tax cap for both the town and school district, if the community you live in wants to...

Which 20 communities dont have property tax ?

Otherwise, how should i personally go about speaking with the town regarding lowering property tax ? Im just new to politics and was asking for active advice.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:20:31 am »

Hello,

I was wondering the protocols one would have to go through to get a reduction in property taxes as a warrant article for the next annual town vote ?

Any information would be helpful, i would personally like them removed completely but i dont see that as happening as of yet.

Thanks.

Here's what's happening in Grafton:

"Hi, all,

A set of pro-liberty warrant articles are ready to sign this weekend.
They will be sitting on the coffee table in the Mancave (12 Liberty
Lane) livingroom as of 11am Saturday morning. Please stop by to sign!
We need 25 signatures from registered voters to get them on the ballot!

Remember to use your registered voting address when you sign.

If you know someone who might want to sign, bring them along, too!

I need to submit these on Tuesday. If I don't get enough signatures
over the weekend, I'll be stopping by people's houses Monday or Tuesday
to get signatures."
Jeremy
I recall that at the last town meeting the proposed warrant article was worded something like :
"to see if the town will lower the town budget by 20 percent."
That one missed passing by 2 votes, but the next one proposed lowering it by ten percent, which passed.
When the article is passed at the town meeting, it goes on the ballot for the general election.

Karl Appleby

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »

Thats great, im guessing they need signatures from residents of Grafton only ?

Any way i can get in touch with these guys so they can give me some help ?

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 04:00:19 pm »

I've sent you Jeremy's email address in a private message.

Yes.  Grafton residents only.

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:16 pm »

Otherwise, how should i personally go about speaking with the town regarding lowering property tax ? Im just new to politics and was asking for active advice.

1.  Can you get on your town's Budget Committee?   Some towns this is by appointment (so you need to volunteer).   Some it is an elected position, so you need to get on the March ballot if their are openings.
2.  Attend the Budget Committee meetings.  You especially want to go the the Public Hearings, as this is where the committee presents their review of the budget and seeks comment before providing their recommendation to the Warrant Articles.  If the Budget Committee is on your side, you will have a much easier time at town meeting.   And if they are not on your side, you'll know why and can use that at town meeting.
3.  Attend the Town Meetings - both School and Town, which are usually two separate meetings.   Often the School Budget dwarfs the Town Budget, and so only focusing on the latter will not improve your property tax situation.
   A)  Be prepared to amend the budget warrant article, and have language ready ahead of time.
   B)  Be prepared to get specific about where your cuts should come from and what the impact would be.  Voters will be nervous about voting for cuts without backing, especially when the Budget Committee (who has reviewed the budget) opposes them.
   C)  Remember that you, the voter, are ultimately determining the budget.  If the budget number is amended and passed, the town or school must stick to that budget.

You probably don't want to introduce yourself to your fellow voters for the first time by jumping up in the town meeting and making huge cuts to the budget, which then get voted down.  Taking the time to familiarize yourself with the process by attending and participating in meetings will probably be worth the delay in increased effectiveness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up