Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where in NH has the highest Free Stater density?  (Read 1780 times)

LeaveMeAlone

Where in NH has the highest Free Stater density?
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:54:53 am »

I would be moving alone and don't have the best social skills, so I'd want to be around the most Free Staters to actually have a chance of making connections and building friendships.  When I have a good idea of where I want to be I can start looking at real estate prices.  I've done preliminary searches and it seems Berlin might be the only place I can afford to buy a house.  Berlin looks like it might be slowly dying (explaining low real estate costs) and has high property tax to boot.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Where in NH has the highest Free Stater density?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:35:54 am »

Not many Free Staters in Berlin! The Manchester area probably has the highest absolute number of Porcupines, and there's always a lot going on there. You may want to rent for a while there until you save enough to buy.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:45:08 am »

Yeah if you're alone I wouldn't rush out and buy a place.  I'd rent for awhile instead, until you have enough to afford something better.  It's what I did and now I have a property I enjoy in a community I like.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:55 am »

Per capita, Grafton has the most. In absolute numbers, there are a lot more in the greater Manchester area than anywhere else.

In Manchester, you can find rare home deals starting at $70k and rare condo deals starting at $50k with the cheapest 3 bedrooms going for $750 a month. None of these places are likely amazing, though. My point is that pretty much everyone can afford to at least rent out a bedroom in someone's house in Manchester ($300 - $400 a month).

pittsfieldmom

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:06 am »

Manchester has a nice social scene going on, plus the town is affordable to rent in.  If you do a room mate situation it will be more affordable and social.  From there you can explore the other areas before you decide what is the best fit for you.  Berlin in my opinion is too far away from everything and may feel isolated.  I haven't lived there though. 

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:36 am »

Manchester has a nice social scene going on, plus the town is affordable to rent in.  If you do a room mate situation it will be more affordable and social.  From there you can explore the other areas before you decide what is the best fit for you.  Berlin in my opinion is too far away from everything and may feel isolated.  I haven't lived there though. 

Just about perfect advice. Manchester isn't at all for everyone but it's a good place to get started in, especially if you don't want to send your children to the government schools.
Pages: [1]   Go Up