Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Like the Idea. The Northeast, not so much.  (Read 4182 times)

Catroast

• artist, photographer, liberty lover
    • Lael Rapier Artist
Like the Idea. The Northeast, not so much.
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:46 am »

Hi, I'm Lael. I'm currently living in New Mexico. I love the weather here and cost of living is pretty low. As an amateur photographer and artist, this place is amazing. I currently work at Intel Corporation as a manufacturing, equipment maintenance technician. My job is decent and I've grown my good reputation here steadily. I live very comfortably. But I do have some concerns about politics in my location. New Mexico is fairly Liberal. As a Ron Paul delegate for my county in 2012, I had a rude awakening as to how horrible Republicans truly were and I'm tired of feeling powerless and fearful for the future of this country.
I really like the idea of going somewhere to make a bastion of freedom for ourselves from this horribly corrupt, self-serving, entitled federal government. I have to say, though, that I used to live in New England for about 9 years. I did not enjoy it. I do not like cold climates and the snow killed me. But maybe the idea of what you guys have made will overcome my dislike of the Northeast. And perhaps my perception of those crony states nearby taints my view of what it would be like in New Hampshire.

I guess what I'm after is to be sold on this. It won't be an easy decision for me to make at all.

And if you want to see my artwork, just for grins, it's here: www.laelrapier.com/content/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:04:39 am by Catroast »

Matt Clem

Re: Like the Idea. The Northeast, not so much.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:01:26 am »

Hello my friend!

I have to say, I love the photos you have - perhaps the Granite State's mountainscapes and beautiful four seasons would be an excellent canvas for your passion!

I'm living in Virginia with my beautiful girlfriend currently, and we as well are concerned about how to handle the winters in the area, but we have decided to make the move anyways. Granted, here in Virginia the other three seasons are fairly similar with the humid climate. We came to the conclusion, though, that our love of liberty is surpassed only by the frustration we feel with the lack of a cohesive liberty front anywhere else in the nation, specifically at home in the Shenandoah Valley. For example, we had some simlar issues here with the Ron Paul Campaign. Neighboring Warren County went for Ron Paul more than any other county in the nation in the primary (around 87% if I recall correctly voted for Paul). During the State Convention, the State Republican Party refused to seat several delegations - including one made up of this county. As well, a large part of the Virginia delegation was prevented from getting to the National Convention in Florida until the vote casting had already been done.

The Free State Project welcomes activists of all preferences, whether it be in the form of political activism or civil disobedience, volunteer work or simply living a liberty filled life as an example to their neighbors. Whatever your preference, everyone working seperately towards a more free society is having a massive joint impact already with just over a thousand movers. More will come, and more will be done. It doesn't matter if the end result is a state government where the individual is at liberty to do unto himself as he chooses, or if its a seceeded independed state, or if it is the anarcho-capitalist or voluntaryist stronghold many of us imagine. What matters is that libertarians, big L and little l, anarchists, and voluntaryists will show the world what liberty means, what it can accomplish for each of us, and what it can do for society as a whole.

Its this opprotunity for Liberty that is making me move, and I would hope that any other Liberty activist would set aside all other concerns to fight for it.
Government is the great fiction through which everyone attempts to live at the expense of everyone else.  ~ Frederic Bastiat

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:58 am »

I currently work at Intel Corporation as a manufacturing, equipment maintenance technician. My job is decent and I've grown my good reputation here steadily. I live very comfortably.

Boston-Nashua-Manchester is the east coast Silicon Valley, there are insane numbers of tech jobs in the area (and most of the movers are also techies). Intel also have a facility in south Nashua so you may be able to bring your job with you.

I have to say, though, that I used to live in New England for about 9 years. I did not enjoy it. I do not like cold climates and the snow killed me.

You can buy a coat, you can't buy liberty :) Seriously though there are areas of the state (coast, Merrimack valley) where the winter does not get that harsh. If you want to test it out come out for Liberty Forum (http://freestateproject.org/events/liberty-forum) which is in Nashua next Feb, this is typically the peak of the winter so its a good chance to see if you can tolerate the worst of it.

Going for a remote starter and an indoor headed garage can also improve the experience hugely :)

But maybe the idea of what you guys have made will overcome my dislike of the Northeast. And perhaps my perception of those crony states nearby taints my view of what it would be like in New Hampshire.

NH is the state where even Democrat governors refuse to raise taxes :) The size of our legislature and only paying them $100 a year makes for honest citizens serving rather then career politicians, while there are plenty of politicians who make bad choices here they don't do so because someone has paid them to make that choice but simply because they hold the wrong views. Not only is this easy to counteract (you can replace them or change their mind) but honest people making the wrong choice leads to far fewer problems then corrupt people making the wrong choice.

Party politics in NH is also fairly absurd, neither party should rightfully be called Democrats or Republicans because neither fit the federal model or that which exists in other states. NH republicans support an end to MJ prohibition, a womans right to choose, gay marriage and a whole bunch of other unexpected issues because instead of being politicians representing a base they are citizens representing their community. The Democrats are slightly to the left of Marx but take their position mostly again because they are representing their community.

How many legislators do you know in NM? Last night I was at an event with about half a dozen state reps and a state senator, I have a drink on Sunday's fairly regularly with two more state reps (one of whom is also on school board in my city) and one of my friends is running for an Aldermanic seat in November. If 6 more libertarians ran this time and again in two years we would have effective control of the city government, the 2nd largest city in NH and the 4th largest in Northern NE. Our ability to hugely influence change here is not a maybe but a near mathematical certainty once we have the numbers, even before then our legislature is already so accessible that you can find someone to address issues very quickly. Want to get rid of the death penalty? Call one of your FSP legislator friends and ask them to sponsor a bill next session to do so.

The community here is also extremely strong and collaborative. You move and you have 1100 instant friends, people who choose to move for liberty just like you. Our local group meets 2-4 times a week for social activities with lots of smaller things going on all the time. We start businesses together. We work on projects together. We drink awesome NH microbrew beer together.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:56:26 pm »

When the pain you would feel from the cold winters in New Hampshire is outweighed by the pain you feel from your lack of freedom in New Mexico, you're ready for the move.

Only you can answer that. Value is subjective.

Best...

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:02 pm »

Welcome to the Forum.

There are some liberals in VT/ME and statist in MA that tend to control the governments of those states. That means there is a sales tax, bottle deposit fees and high liquor/beer/cigar/cigarette taxes in those states. That means there are a lot of NH businesses on the NH border collecting a lot taxes and providing a lot of jobs. In other words, you could argue that those states being near-by help NH.

As for the weather, many of us moved from the South or CA or even HI and have little to no problems adjusting. Heck, some of us have even had jobs at ski areas. Did you know that New Hampshire is warmer than much of CT, IN, IL, MA, NE, OH and PA? http://nhfreedom.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/putting-new-hampshires-weather-into-perspective/

Catroast

• artist, photographer, liberty lover
    • Lael Rapier Artist
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:03:36 am »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and give so much information. I really appreciate it. I will definitely consider all my options.

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:42:06 am »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and give so much information. I really appreciate it. I will definitely consider all my options.
It is up to you, of course. But your choices are living in a community of 1000s of liberty lovers in NH or living anywhere else but without such a community. Do you want liberty lovers to back you up? Do you want folks to be there for you? Or would you like to be on your own, without help, protection or safety, when it comes to many things? Have you ever want to start a liberty podcast, blog or even get a bill passed? NH is where the help is.

veronste

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »

I am new to the forum but have similar thoughts.  We are a bit closer so the move not such a change in weather-just state govt!

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 09:31:42 am »

NH isn't as bad weather wise as a lot of people seem to think.  I'd like to point out that the coldest temp ever recorded in NH is actually higher than the coldest temp recorded in New Mexico (-47F vs -50F)   Source.  Of course there is the snow which can be a pain, but it can also be fun if you like to ski or snowmobile.

"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 09:37:22 am »

Of course there is the snow which can be a pain, but it can also be fun if you like to ski or snowmobile.

And it means we essentially never have a drought, because winter snow is what actually replenishes the water table efficiently - most of the summer rain just evaporates rather than sink in.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42:24 am »

I am new to the forum but have similar thoughts.  We are a bit closer so the move not such a change in weather-just state govt!
But having a smaller state government is a good thing, right? NH offers that.

time4liberty

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 10:14:09 am »

I'd say visit. If you lived in VT, or Maine, the natural surroundings might be somewhat similar. If you lived in MA, CT, or RI, it's completely different.

anellis

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:45 pm »

I'm so glad I came across this! That's my big hangup too... I really want to move there and join, but I hate the cold so much, and I've been dying to get back to Arizona/New Mexico/Texas. Something like the Free State Project is the only thing that could possibly have changed my mind. I live in DC right now and can barely take winter. That being said, it is about what you value most... and if living in DC has taught me anything it's that if you're not free, the rest doesn't mean very much.

Can't wait to visit and job hunt!

Alicia
Pages: [1]   Go Up