Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent mover  (Read 7299 times)

mabowers

Re: Recent mover
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 08:42:45 pm »

KBCraig, very similar to 3/4 quarter of my ancestors.  One 1/4 of them came from around Edinburgh after the Jacobite Uprising was put down, another fully half of my ancestry came from Caithness, up near Thurso, during the Highland Clearances when England realized there was more profit in raising sheep than Scots  ::)

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 10:10:21 am »

Fellow former subject of her majesty here (escaped 2 years ago), nice to see some fellow Brit's making the move.

First far and away the best tea room in the state is down in Brookline here, its well worth the slog and does incredible scones (no small and bland cucumber sandwiches though). The supermarkets here do stock some British products (usually under the "Irish" section) particularly important is PG Tips, for everything else (for the inevitable craving of Jaffa Cakes) there is Jolly Grub over in Greenland. If you are a Pimms person then the NH liquor stores sell it, I have yet to find a good local substitute for R Whites though. We also have a British run British restaurant in the state here, the people who run it take authenticity seriously so have even gone to the extent of finding a Butcher to custom make them real cumberland and lincolnshire sausages.

kate.peterson

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 01:26:23 pm »

Wow!

I bake so scones, biscuits and things like that I can do from home but getting hold of tea is more of a challenge. I'm extra awkward in that I prefer Earl Grey over breakfast blend if you can recommend a brand that isn't Twinings?

A proper authentic British restaurant seems like a good idea, although there's an Irish place somewhere in/near Portsmouth (I think? Long time since I visited) closer to us that does spectacular comfort food like shepherds pie and stew with dumplings.  Funny how food here is interchangeably English and Irish!

I don't actually drink but if Pimms is available then that's good to keep in mind next time we do an England-theme party and to have in for the summer for guests, good tip!

Whereabouts did you move from?

tjic

Weare, NH
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 03:08:36 pm »

Kate,
There are some FSPers who live in Weare

Two more, by the end of January: Jennifer and I just sold our Massachusetts house and signed an offer on our new Weare, NH house.

Can't wait to get to the area!

Travis
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything