Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent mover  (Read 7502 times)

kate.peterson

Recent mover
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:25:13 pm »

Hi all
I'm Kate and I moved to the free state about 2 weeks ago from England.  I live with my husband Alex who's from here and will talk to anyone so no doubt most of you know him already.
I'm the exact opposite, new people terrify me so moving here from another country was probably not the best move since it means having to start over and make new friends which is a fairly difficult task when you live in rural NH and have no social skills so it's entirely likely that I could turn into a crazy person who talks to plants.

Anyone have any suggestions for meeting new people that doesn't involve walking into a new (and therefore scary) place full of lots of total strangers and just saying "Hi"?

porcupineamy

• Porcupine Real Estate
Re: Recent mover
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »

Hi Kate!
You'll find that everyone here is very friendly & welcoming. Perhaps joining one of the FSP Facebook groups might help at first, so you "virtually" know some people before meeting face-to-face?

And I have a 12 yr old Anglophile who'd love to chat with you about all things English, especially Doctor Who, phone boxes, & Sherlock, amongst other things :) We're in Weare, so if you're within an hour or so, let us know and we can meet for a non-intimidating cup of tea.
Amy Lowe
Porcupine Real Estate
PorcupineRealEstate.com
 *Link Removed*

kate.peterson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:45:47 pm »

Thankyou for being nice and non-scary!

It was difficult enough for me to join the forum, socially awkward is an understatement. Entering a conversation that's already started feels a lot like trying to get on a roundabout while it's moving.

Your 12 year old sounds a lot like my sister (back in the UK), Dr who is part of a family tradition we have.

My husband says he might know you or at least know of you as we're also in Weare so tea might actually be a possibility  :)

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:21:49 pm »

Dr Who is great ;)
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:48 pm »

Kate,
There are some FSPers who live in Weare, a couple kilometers from Susan's house. He is from Finland and she lived in Germany a number of years, so they love reminiscing about Europe. Stop by and say hello and get some fresh, organic eggs.

PM me for an e-introduction.

I'm friends with Alex.

Mark
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

mabowers

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »

Hi Kate,

We are moving to Weare in 1 week, my wife is an anglophile also.  I've promised to take her back to visit again, our visit to London a couple years ago (has it been that long already?)  only whetted her appetite for visiting England.  I'll have to get her to sign up on the forum here - for some reason we never really got involved on here in the past year since we signed our intention to move to NH.

P.S.  Hi Amy ! We'll see you next Friday !

another Mark

Matt Clem

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »

Side note...huge Sherlock fan. Massive Cumberbitch lol
Government is the great fiction through which everyone attempts to live at the expense of everyone else.  ~ Frederic Bastiat

BikerBill

• Adventures in the Free State
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:50:56 pm »

Hi Kate. Welcome home! Do consider joining our local liberty community, FreeWeare.
http://allemanse.com/freeweare.htm
http://facebook.com/groups/freewearenh/
We're not particularly scary...  >:D

porcupineamy

• Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:16 am »

Thankyou for being nice and non-scary!

It was difficult enough for me to join the forum, socially awkward is an understatement. Entering a conversation that's already started feels a lot like trying to get on a roundabout while it's moving.

Your 12 year old sounds a lot like my sister (back in the UK), Dr who is part of a family tradition we have.

My husband says he might know you or at least know of you as we're also in Weare so tea might actually be a possibility  :)

You're in Weare?! That's great, it's a wonderful community. Shoot me an email at amy@porcupinerealestate.com if you want to meet up at Dunkin some day next week. Mark B. & his wife are moving near the RV place in Weare next week; they are wonderful and not scary at all :) And we have lots of other FSPers here in Weare, as well! We'd love to meet you sometime.
Amy Lowe
Porcupine Real Estate
PorcupineRealEstate.com
 *Link Removed*

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 03:42:23 pm »

Oh heck Kate I already talk to plants, they never listen though, try to raise
them all ya get is heart break  ;D.

Welcome home to NH.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 04:35:48 am »

Don't listen to Pat; he doesn't really talk to plants, he only starts talking after certain plants have been malted and hopped and fermented.  ;)

Welcome to the forum and to NH, Kate!

We (my wife and I, three of our kids, and multiple dogs and cats) live way up north in Lancaster. The handyman who is working miraculous wonders on our 160+ year old house is an English ex-pat from Manchester (the UK version). He and I "click" when it comes to personal and governmental responsibility, fiscal and otherwise. He and his Massachusetts-born wife homestead a small farm, he does outstanding work for us, and we pay him cash. It's a rewarding relationship on all sides.  :)

In America, the New England stereotype has two patterns: the loud, boisterous, profane Bostonian, and the quiet, reserved, laconic Yankee from northern New England.

The former is certainly true; the latter, not so much. We are Southerners from Arkansas/Texas/Louisiana, and we have felt instantly at home in Lancaster since we first set foot in the town in 2006. We have never felt more welcomed anywhere we've ever been. Everyone is willing to talk, and our being "from away" is all the opening it takes to form new friendships.

I was looking at chainsaws at the nearest Lowe's (a major home/building/garden chain store), and the nice fellow working that department asked if he could help, and offered some advice. After we'd exchanged no more than two sentences, he said, "So, I take it you're from southern New Hampshire?"

I said, "Southwestern New Hampshire, actually. Just go down to Keene, drive towards Brattleboro, and keep going about 1,600 miles."

We both laughed, shook hands, and I bought a chainsaw. All of our experiences in NH as "foreigners" have been like that.  :)

kate.peterson

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 09:30:47 am »

Wow! You're all so nice!

In all seriousness though, if these conversations happened in a room with everyone actually there, I'd be hiding in a corner.

Mark who's friends with Alex: An introduction would be lovely, thankyou!

Another Mark: London is awful, take her to the Lake district or some of the historic and coastal towns of Yorkshire. I recommend York, Leeds and Bridlington. We (us and the other halves) should have afternoon tea sometime, with an actual teapot and tiny sandwiches.

Amy: Yes, that sounds good, I'll definitely email.

Pat: I'm glad I'm not the only one. And thankyou

KBCraig: There's a playful rivalry in the UK between where I'm from (in Yorkshire) and the other side of the Pennines (Lancashire, where Manchester is). It's all in good fun until there's a football (soccer) match, then all Hell breaks loose.  NH people are generally a friendly lot, very welcoming and easy-going but I don't think it would go down too well if I had any stories that involved chainsaws...

How come so many people have such an interest in England?

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 04:41:02 am »

Wow! You're all so nice!

In all seriousness though, if these conversations happened in a room with everyone actually there, I'd be hiding in a corner.

FSP participants and friends tend to be geeky. I'd say almost all of us, with a few exceptions, understand social awkwardness. I'm not a very social person myself, but when I'm with FSP people (or just with NH people!), I relax and open up because these are my people!

Give yourself more of a chance. I guarantee at any FSP gathering, you're surrounded by people who would normally suffer social paralysis, except for knowing they're with kindred spirits.  :)

How come so many people have such an interest in England?

Well, there's that common language that divides us...

I don't know that we have many real Anglophiles, but you'll find a lot of FSP people love learning about anything and everything, and tend to be well informed about the world in general. Like I said above: geeky sorts.

I know a bit about the UK because my patronymic ancestors were Viking Scots from the Inner Hebrides, who arrived in America between 1729-1750. They then fought to kick out the Assenach who had kicked them out of Scotland. I love geography and language and history and genealogy.

I like finding common ground with people, so I learn something about where they're from. While I'm naturally an introvert, I hate being on the outside of social situations, so I find ways to break the ice, even if it's just with one person. I don't like crowds, so I'm fine if it's just me and the other socially awkward geek in the corner for the evening, so long as we have something to talk about. I've always tried to learn a bit of language or trivia as ice breakers in new situations. I confused the hell out of some Russian border guards when I drove through East Germany; I could tell they knew I was speaking Russian greetings, but they had no idea what I was saying (neither did I, really!)

The FSP is very international. The current president is from South Africa, a previous president is from Czechoslovakia, a long-time board member (recently resigned) has lived in Moscow for years.

So... don't let shyness hold you back. FSP gatherings tend to be otherwise shy people who explode with social happiness because they're among kindred spirits. Look around for someone else who's shy, and be the bold one.  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:44:13 am by KBCraig »

kate.peterson

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:47 am »

I wasn't expecting such a detailed answer about the interest in England but thankyou! Consider me told.

Geeky pretty much sums me up so maybe there's hope.  Actually, I made it to Porcfest last year and that was terrifying but definitely gave me a common ground with people I met and was an automatic conversation starter. 

How hard can it be, right? I'm going to meet some people, some drink tea and talk about Dr Who!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 11:48:21 am »

That's "Sassenach" - or in Gaelic, "Sasanach." ;)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything