Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 7395 times)

Shane_C

Berlin
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:46:42 am »

Does anyone have any info on the area? Any info is helpful but mainly interested in perspective on the locals sense that is the hardest thing to find info about from a distance.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Berlin
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:41:26 pm »

What specific info are you looking for?

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:04:38 pm »

It is a poor area. I wouldn't count on the fire department. Crime is above average by NH standards. Drug use is above average by NH standards. Lots of jobs are in the prison industry. It is extremely cheap, property value wise. You can sget a 4 unit place for under $100,000. Bring a job with you, if you move. The population has declined for decades, and for good reason! Very pretty area.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:16:05 pm by 1DayAtATime »

Shane_C

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:28:23 am »

I guess I am most interested in the majority mindset of the area. Do people mind the own business or because the economy is so bad is it all about gossip. I am a programmer and can work from home so jobs are not really a issue. I am looking for a area to buy my first house cheap fix it up in my free time sense I work from home and have experience remodelling homes before the crash. I see the property valuation by the local gov is about 4-5 times market value. To me this seems money hungry, can anyone comment on this? Do they require permits for things like home repair and a garden/greenhouse?

Shane_C

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:30:30 am »

I am also young so the attitude of local police/sheriff is important on harassing youth. Most of the parts of the country I have lived this has become a big problem so I am not trying to move to a rural police state.

Sam Adams

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:07:48 pm »

I am also young so the attitude of local police/sheriff is important on harassing youth. Most of the parts of the country I have lived this has become a big problem so I am not trying to move to a rural police state.
             Shane, Nh is the least PS you will find. As far as youth being harassed by police, its because they don,t understand their position in society. American citizens are the public that pay for Public SERVANTS to do their job within their guidelines[US Constitution][which is to serve the public,. They work for you, and so don,t their bosses and mayors. If they try to overstep there authority, ask if your being arrested or being detained and under what charges, and ask to see the warrant, with the probable causes. It always nicer to get along and say hello, vs not, once they realize your  not  intimidated, and not rude, and know what your talking about, they will tell you to have a good day.. But know your rights if the first question[answer] doesn,t go right. Filing a complaint in court is only a few pages of paper and a small fee, which might loss them their pensions and job, house, bank accts, etc..

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »

Berlin has been economically depressed for some years because the pulp mill that was the center of the economy has shut down and been torn down (replaced by a biomass electric plant).

Tourism is really picking up with the ATV park and trails. There is some light industry and manufacturing. Many people work a couple of jobs.

Housing is dirt cheap, but fuel and groceries are higher than in the populated parts of the state. That's true everywhere north of the notches, not just Berlin.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:58:43 am »

Property valuation by the local government being 4-5 times market is the process, revaluation doesn't occur every year. But the market value of your property shouldn't be the issue, as much as the comparison to similar properties being in-line. Again this is because of the process - the rate moving up/down with the budgets divided by total valuation/total adjusted valuation.

Since your bringing a job, its really less of an issue... as the external economy isn't an issue.
The north country tends to set itself up for collapse and ignore any warnings of such.

Police shouldn't be any more of an issue than elsewhere in NH.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:00:42 am by John Edward Mercier »

Shane_C

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:43 pm »

Sounds fine so far my main concerns for a place to live in nh are cheap to buy(under 40,000) just trying to get into a place don't want to rent or have a mortgage. Like I said work from home so local economy is only important in the mindset of the people participating in it and the local gov. I am originally from the rust belt so I am trying to avoid dead union towns and towns of that sort. Not really sure if its at all like that in NH. Plan is to save for a few years then buy land hopefully somewhere near or in Grafton. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

rikahlberg

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:06:45 pm »

^ bump

I've been following house prices in Berlin over the past 6 months and there are lots of single-families in the under-$40k range (they definitely need some upgrading) and there are multi-families (mostly 2-unit) in the under-60k range. It's tempting for me since it's so cheap, but the isolation isn't something I think I want right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up