Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the cheapest, safest town between Concord and Manchester?  (Read 2700 times)

Connecticutsucks

What is the cheapest, safest town between Concord and Manchester?
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:43 am »

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your kind support and information on my previous post. I have discussed the idea of moving with my girlfriend and she is very excited. We are planning a trip next weekend to visit and check out a few places. Thankfully we are from CT and not CA or FL! I wanted to ask your opinion about something though. I have been doing some research into what the best spot is for us in NH and as far as I can tell, I really like a lot of what Concord has to offer and having Manchester nearby is appealing as well. I make a living reselling antiques and vintage and so the idea that there are 10+ thrift shop/goodwill type places within a 30 minute drive is making me salivate in hunger to move there.

I am curious though, what would you guys say is the cheapest, safest place to live between Concord and Manchester? We are really looking to be frugal and cheap. We will be living off less money and will be making many adjustments (for the better). I plan to be moving a lot of stuff in and out of the place we will be renting, so a first floor, park near the front door situation would be absolute bliss. The other consideration is that if we live between the two cities it will give us more options for her career as a Copy Editor/ Writer.

She is really looking forward to meeting some nice, laid back, chilled out women in NH because of her commute into NYC she does not have time for friends at all. Also, I would mention, we don't care so much for the party/city/late night stuff. It's nice to get out, but we are very driven on our careers and business, and our relationship, and so we would be happier living in a cabin in the woods than the hustle and bustle of NYC. We would not rule out living in Concord or Manchester.

time4liberty

Re: What is the cheapest, safest town between Concord and Manchester?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:32 am »

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your kind support and information on my previous post. I have discussed the idea of moving with my girlfriend and she is very excited. We are planning a trip next weekend to visit and check out a few places. Thankfully we are from CT and not CA or FL! I wanted to ask your opinion about something though. I have been doing some research into what the best spot is for us in NH and as far as I can tell, I really like a lot of what Concord has to offer and having Manchester nearby is appealing as well. I make a living reselling antiques and vintage and so the idea that there are 10+ thrift shop/goodwill type places within a 30 minute drive is making me salivate in hunger to move there.

I am curious though, what would you guys say is the cheapest, safest place to live between Concord and Manchester? We are really looking to be frugal and cheap. We will be living off less money and will be making many adjustments (for the better). I plan to be moving a lot of stuff in and out of the place we will be renting, so a first floor, park near the front door situation would be absolute bliss. The other consideration is that if we live between the two cities it will give us more options for her career as a Copy Editor/ Writer.

She is really looking forward to meeting some nice, laid back, chilled out women in NH because of her commute into NYC she does not have time for friends at all. Also, I would mention, we don't care so much for the party/city/late night stuff. It's nice to get out, but we are very driven on our careers and business, and our relationship, and so we would be happier living in a cabin in the woods than the hustle and bustle of NYC. We would not rule out living in Concord or Manchester.

Someone else can chime in, but to be honest, I think any of the surrounding towns would be fine. Crime isn't going to be an issue, outside of a couple neighborhoods in Manchester -- and outside of the actual towns of Concord and Manchester, it will be quite rural. Also, traffic's not going to be an issue, so the truth is, if you're anywhere around there, it's going to take very little time to get to Concord or Manchester. Heck, from Nashua, it only takes me 20 minutes to manch, or 30 to concord.

Maybe consider visiting the area to scope it out, so you know what to expect, and see what you prefer.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:04:52 pm »

Just Concord vs. Manchester. Rent and property taxes are higher in Concord. Crime is lower in Concord. Every town that borders either city is both more expensive (though there are likely some great values to be had out there) and safer then either city.

The closer you live to the MA border, the more copy jobs will be around, likely. My recommendation would be to rent for 6 months to a year in Manchester. Look for a longer term place while you do that. Manchester has a great road system so it is easy to get to Concord, Milford, Portsmouth, Nashua, Salem or northern MA while looking for stuff or work.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:25 pm »

I don't think you'll be able to find a "safest" town.  The crime rate here is so low that a single crime more or less will change the rate in many towns.  So "safest" may alternate between several towns over the course of a few years.

NH has the lowest violent crime rate in the entire Western world.  Maybe on the whole planet.  Any place in NH is pretty darn safe.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:56:09 pm »

This spreadsheet of towns may be useful to you: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jsorens/nhtowns.xls

Allenstown stands out as the cheapest town in that Merrimack Valley corridor between the two cities.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:33:55 pm »

This spreadsheet of towns may be useful to you: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jsorens/nhtowns.xls

That is a handy resource. You can also see some of those same stats put onto maps at Liberty603.com
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Sam Adams

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »

Hello Connecticut Sucks. I,m from CT and it is the worst. I,m fleeing finally in a few weeks to the great State of NH permanently. I was in Winchester below Keene the other day and saw a few Large Auction houses and large Emporiums selling everything from jewerly, furniture, tools, antiques, everything you can imagine. One store was probably 300 feet long and over 2500 sq ft. Their on RT 10 in Winchester if this helps.

Connecticutsucks

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »

Great, thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it. I certainly have a lot to think about! I will be up soon to check out some of these areas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up