Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of Moving, what about my extracurriculars?  (Read 13769 times)

dakotabear

Thinking of Moving, what about my extracurriculars?
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:57:17 pm »

Hey all,

I started a job recently that enables me to work from home.  We are seriously considering moving to NH (back for my my wife the native) to the family farm near Littleton.

I'd like to know a little more about the availability of some of my extracurricular activities in NH.

Firearms, and gun owner rights take up a great deal of my time.  I'm recognized in my home state as an expert, am in the leadership of a gun rights groups, and have testified and lobbied for countless firearms laws, and to stop laws that infringe on our rights.
Is there a politically active firearms lobby group that I can get connected with.  I've spent a lot of time, and have quite a lot of experience "winning hearts and minds" of politicians, and would love if I could transfer that skill to my new home.

Firearms instruction, I spend a great deal time teaching firearms classes, and DNR Hunter Safety classes.  My State requires a class before getting the right to carry.  I've never dont it for profit, but I thoroughly enjoy teaching new shooters, and educating people on their rights.  I know NH does not require a class for their license, so I doubt there is much demand for instruction/education, but it is a passion of mine.

Search and rescue.  I'm an Incident commander /member of a few woodland search and rescue teams.  Is there anything like that in the northland?

Private Pilot.  I'm in progress of getting it, are there any good flying clubs?

I'm sure I'll think of more, but would appreciate any insight.

Thanks all
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:00:11 pm by dakotabear »

freedomroad

Re: Thinking of Moving, what about my extracurriculars?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »

Hey all,
Welcome to the Forum!

Firearms, and gun owner rights take up a great deal of my time.  I'm recognized in my home state as an expert, and have testified and lobbied for countless firearms lost, and to stop laws that infringe on our rights.
Is there a politically active firearms lobby group that I can get connected with.  I've spent a lot of time, and have quite a lot of experience "winning hearts and minds" of politicians, and would love if I could transfer that skill to my new home.
NH has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the US. They could be better. I'd love it if people that want to help stop the bad bills and pass the good bills move here. The more experts the better. Thank you!
New Hampshire Firearms Coalition, Pro-gun New Hampshire, Gun Owners of New Hampshire and Second Amendment Sisters. I think there are some other minor groups.

Firearms instruction, I spend a great deal time teaching firearms classes, and DNR Hunter Safety classes.  My State requires a class before getting the right to carry.  I've never dont it for profit, but I thoroughly enjoy teaching new shooters, and educating people on their rights.  I know NH does not require a class for their license, so I doubt there is much demand for instruction/education, but it is a passion of mine.
Gun safety classes are IMO recommend for those in NH under 16 and around guns. But yeah, for adults, there aren't class requirements. There are some instructors in NH obviously, and some pro-liberty folks. From my point of view, the more the better.

Search and rescue.  I'm an Incident commander /member of a few woodland search and rescue teams.  Is there anything like that in the northland?
Sure. There are lots of mountains all over northern and western NH. There are forests EVERYWHERE in NH.

Private Pilot.  I'm in progress of getting it, are there any good flying clubs?
No idea. I know there are airports all over NH. I know a lot of people in NH have money.

Thanks all
Keep asking your questions. It's nice to meet you! Come on it for a visit!

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:35 am »

Is there a politically active firearms lobby group that I can get connected with.  I've spent a lot of time, and have quite a lot of experience "winning hearts and minds" of politicians, and would love if I could transfer that skill to my new home.

http://www.pgnh.org/ is one I know of.

To give you an indication of the situation in NH though there was a pro-gun control rally organized by the Obama camp in Nashua about a month ago. They bused in people from NYC to make noise and "show that the people of NH support stronger control of firearms". Naturally the pro-gun rights people came out to anti-protest, we out numbered them 5 to 1. NH is already an extremely pro-gun state, article 2a of our bill of rights states;

All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

The pro-gun control groups have had very little political success here.

Firearms instruction, I spend a great deal time teaching firearms classes, and DNR Hunter Safety classes.  My State requires a class before getting the right to carry.  I've never dont it for profit, but I thoroughly enjoy teaching new shooters, and educating people on their rights.  I know NH does not require a class for their license, so I doubt there is much demand for instruction/education, but it is a passion of mine.

We actually have FSP member run groups specifically for this purpose, we also have newbie shoots at our two annual events where those new to weapons can learn to shoot.

Search and rescue.  I'm an Incident commander /member of a few woodland search and rescue teams.  Is there anything like that in the northland?

All over NH, most of NH search & rescue is volunteers. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Law_Enforcement/sar.html

If you haven't come across them yet we have two great events that would give you the opportunity to come out and meet us all as well as generally have an awesome time learning and hanging out with libertarians. http://freestateproject.org/events/liberty-forum is in February in Nashua, its a conference type event with lots of interesting speakers. http://freestateproject.org/events/porcfest is our June event which is a camping festival with lots of classes, social events and a smattering of speakers; this happens in Lancaster which is the next town over from Littleton :)

dakotabear

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:46 am »

http://www.pgnh.org/ is one I know of.

To give you an indication of the situation in NH though there was a pro-gun control rally organized by the Obama camp in Nashua about a month ago. They bused in people from NYC to make noise and "show that the people of NH support stronger control of firearms". Naturally the pro-gun rights people came out to anti-protest, we out numbered them 5 to 1. NH is already an extremely pro-gun state, article 2a of our bill of rights states;

We've had similar results

The pro-gun control groups have had very little political success here.

That's good to hear, it's the same in my state, but only because of the diligence of gun owners, and pro-rights organization.  We have a VERY vocal anti-gun minority, and a sympathetic media.
But if there's no threat, then I guess there's no help needed.

Keep asking your questions. It's nice to meet you! Come on it for a visit!

Thanks for the invite, been out there many a time, always sad to leave.  :-)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:44:14 am »

That's good to hear, it's the same in my state, but only because of the diligence of gun owners, and pro-rights organization.

I'm assuming North Dakota based, upon your username and that you mentioned a class being required (I'm pretty sure I read that SD does not require a class).

If so, you'll likely find NH a significant improvement in firearm laws.

But if there's no threat, then I guess there's no help needed.

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.  We have darn near the lowest violent crime rate on the planet, here in NH.  That doesn't mean we can just stop carrying guns and sing Kumbaya - the violent crime rate is so low because NH is the most heavily-armed place on the planet, and if we just stopped carrying guns, the violent crime rate would go up.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

dakotabear

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of Moving, what about my extracurriculars?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:03:03 pm »

Wrong on both counts.  :-)

By no threat, I meant no anti-gun activity...  As long as any one else has a gun, I'll have mine.

Blame Tapatalk 2 for typos.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Re: Re: Thinking of Moving, what about my extracurriculars?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:18:07 pm »

Wrong on both counts.  :-)

On which "both" counts?  Obviously on the state, but you've chosen not to share that, so it was only a guess.  On NH being a significant improvement?  I guess that would depend upon the individual's definition of "significant."  NH has, without question, the least-restrictive gun laws in the US (and, therefore, in the entire Western world), so it is an improvement of some degree over any other US state.

If you care to share your state, we can do a comparison to show you what benefits you would gain by moving.

By no threat, I meant no anti-gun activity...

Oh, there are always fools with anti-gun nonsense.  Hence "eternal vigilance."  It's just that we don't have to expend much energy to make it clear to the public and politicians that they are nutcases - folks here tend to consider anti-gunners to be pretty crazy, anyway, so it's not a huge effort to show just how crazy they are.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

dakotabear

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »

I've chosen to conceal that information until the family makes a decision.  :-)

I'm well aware of the differences in the law, and NH is at par/ahead in most respects with home.

Glad to hear the antis aren't much of a problem.  I've just become good at beating them, and I will miss it.  :-)

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »

Glad to hear the antis aren't much of a problem.  I've just become good at beating them, and I will miss it.  :-)

You're in luck.  Mass. and Connecticut are a short ride away.  You can have fun at their rallies.  ;D

LIMES

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 06:14:13 pm »

b2b_dna

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:21 pm »

From my perspective trying to schedule my boys through hunters ed, NH could use more volunteer instructors.  Classes fill almost instantly. this despite a great hunting culture.

if you are on facebook, follow NH Fish and Game.  They run an excellent Facebook program, and I am constantly learning great stuff. 

the white mountains are an amazing wilderness with need for survival training and aid to outdoorsmen.

I am sure that your research will reward your desires.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything