Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: California moving  (Read 2879 times)

saiga

California moving
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:26:56 am »

I love the idea of the FSP and am definitely moving out of California within the next couple years, maybe even sooner. My wife and I love the geography in California but hate the leftist movement that CA worships.

I have been thinking about to either NH or Austin TX. Both are head and shoulders above CA. My only concern with NH is the weather. I don't mind the snow but my wife and I love the sun. How often is it sunny there? I grew up in Monterey CA and its foggy most days even in the summer and cant stand it.  Is it foggy and gloomy all the time? Summer/Winter?

If we did decide to move we would be selling our home and buying one somewhere in NH, maybe Manchester. How is the real estate market out there?

Thanks!

Mike

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: California moving
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:08:20 am »

If you live right on the coast, you'll probably have some more fog and such.

Most other places, it's clear quite a bit.

TX might be head and shoulders above CA, but NH is so further than that above TX...  There's really no comparison.

I expect you'll find that housing prices are quite a bit cheaper here than in CA.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:45:35 am »

I moved to NH from Las Vegas, NV. You'll get used to the cold winters; you just need the right gear/clothing.
The outdoors is spectacular here; if you are into hiking or skiing or biking or water sports, it's all good here.

Real estate is more affordable here than about anywhere in California. The Manchester area offers a lot of homes for under $200K, depending on what your needs are. When you get closer to making the move, I'll be happy to help you.
You can peruse MLS listings at www.porcupinerealestate.com to get a feel for the housing market out here.

If you like liberty, you'll love living here! I suggest you come out for 4-5 days to tour the state and meet some early FSP movers.

Mark
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 08:10:56 am »

I moved to NH from Las Vegas, NV. You'll get used to the cold winters; you just need the right gear/clothing.

A friend of mine says that there's no such thing as bad weather: just inappropriate clothing choice.

Another notes that in hot climates, you have to run from air conditioned building to air conditioned car for about four months out of the year.  In cold climates, you have to run from heated building to heated car for about four months out of the year.  Similar issue, just different months.  Personally, I enjoy the fact that it's easy to spend time outside during the summer, when the days are longer.  I don't mind losing outside time on the shortest days of the year.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

time4liberty

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

It's usually sunny, but I've never lived in Austin or Monterey, so I don't have much to compare to. The weather does often change frequently, so it's fairly common to have a rainy evening after a sunny day, or a sunny afternoon after a rainy morning. Cloudy all day is uncommon, but it does happen sometimes. Not much fog/mist, except maybe on the seacoast.

It's definitely more sunny than not.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 01:31:35 pm »

Welcome!  :)

Check out http://thenewporcupine.com/ - they moved from California last year and love it here. There are posts about the weather plus many of the other things that new movers tend to care about.

-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

saiga

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:43 pm »

Awesome guys! I can't tell you have excited I am about getting out of CA. I trade financial instruments out of my home office for a living but require an addition job to stay on my feet. I would have to find a part time to full time job but I'm sure thats probably no big deal. It sounds extremely interesting to be around other libertarians on a daily basis. In fact, I am the only consistent libertarian that I know.

I might be interested in buying a rental property as well for income. How much would a 3bed, 2bath, around 1500 sq ft, rent for in Manchester? 

Thanks guys!  :)

ksprepperwife

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:11:01 pm »

Rentals 3 beds 1 bath rent for between $850 (third floor) to above $1,200 (1st floor).  It all depends on location and how many apartments in the building.  My apartment is 2nd floor, 3bd, 1bth w/ laundry hookups and it is $950 plus utilities...course we are in downtown and 2nd story, so that is why it is a little cheaper than other places.

saiga

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 04:09:30 am »

Thanks for the reply prepperwife.

What I mean is how much a single family house rents for. 1500 sq ft. 3 bedroom.

saiga

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 05:15:32 am »

How about property taxes?

From what I seen so far they seem even higher than California.

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:19 am »

How about property taxes?

From what I seen so far they seem even higher than California.
The rates tend to be higher but the actual amounts of property taxes paid are about the same, depending, due to the much lower cost of housing in NH. But no tax on wage or sales tax, cigar tax or Internet tax or gaming tax or liquor tax or estate tax or luxury tax. 1 of the lowest gas taxes in the country too, instead of the highest. Property taxes are about $800 to $2500 a year on these places. http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=27114.0 A bigger place will likely cost more, depending on the location.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:45:02 am by 1DayAtATime »

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 06:48:10 am »

I might be interested in buying a rental property as well for income. How much would a 3bed, 2bath, around 1500 sq ft, rent for in Manchester? 
You're looking at about $1250-1600/month to rent out such a house, depending on the location. "North-end" Manchester (ZIP 03104) demands rents 10-20% higher than other parts of the city. If you're serious about getting a rental property, I'll be glad to help you at that point.

Mark
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

saiga

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:30:02 pm »

Thanks Mark!

If we end up in New Hampshire you are definitely hired. Now its time to go and talk to wife into it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything