Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious investment opportunity  (Read 6159 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Serious investment opportunity
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:34 am »

A few of us are working on a product (actually, a small number of related products), and are getting along to the point where it makes sense to see if funding is available to actually set up manufacturing, before investing more time and energy into development.

Roughly half of the initial investment would go into land, a building in which a factory would be built, and the manufacturing equipment.  Of the remainder, roughly half would be used to purchase materials.  The last portion would be the working capital (advertising, wages, etc.).  So, between 50% and 75% of the investment would be secured by the assets of the business, making it relatively safe for the investors.

Unlike restaurants, stores, and the like, which can only sell locally, this business would manufacture products which can be shipped all over the country (or even internationally), so it is not limited by the local market.

Initially, there would be approximately half a dozen jobs created.  Once production was rolling, that could easily expand to a full dozen.  And then around two dozen over a few years (depending upon how quickly demand builds up).  There would be a mix of skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled (but hopefully with an interest in on-the-job training to gain skill and advance) positions.  Obviously, there's a benefit to folks in the liberty movement, if we can be seen as creating jobs, and given how many folks say that lack of a job is what keeps them from moving, there's a benefit to the FSP.

The flip side is that, because this isn't a small venture, we'd need to be able to raise around $1M.  As I said earlier, that would be secured fairly well, as investments go, but it's still on the order where getting $5 investments isn't going to be a practical route to getting the full amount, so we would need to find serious investors.  Ideally, we would like to have the control of the company vested either completely or at least mostly with liberty folks, in order to make sure that the company is developed and grows in an ethical manner.

We'd like to sit down with folks who have a serious interest and are able to invest at least $2500.  The goal of the initial meetings would be to talk about raising a smaller amount (~$15k-30k) to be used in order to develop marketing to obtain the larger investment.  Obviously, that includes convincing those initial few investors that this is a viable idea.  We'd like to keep the crowd small at this point, hence the $2500 limit.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Matt Clem

Re: Serious investment opportunity
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:18 pm »

I understand if you don't want to discuss too many specifics on the forum, but what class/sort of products are they?
Government is the great fiction through which everyone attempts to live at the expense of everyone else.  ~ Frederic Bastiat

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »

Alternative energy.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »

I hear Obama has billions available for alternative energy. You don't have to make a profit, repay the loan, or even have a workable business plan.

Heck, you can run up millions in debt and pay yourself a bonus while the vendors are on the hook for your supplies.

;)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:22 pm »

I hear Obama has billions available for alternative energy. You don't have to make a profit, repay the loan, or even have a workable business plan.

Heck, you can run up millions in debt and pay yourself a bonus while the vendors are on the hook for your supplies.

Hence why I'm looking for ethical folks to be involved in the business :)

Sam Adams

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »

Alternative energy.
                    Shark, sounds like a good Idea. As long as you may be able to cover a few different type of fuels. I like to eat Beets,all that sugar. Does anyone remember the 79 Oil embargo, where gas prices tripled, and we were rationed to 10 gallons a week? Wasn,t that because the govt in dc pissed off Iran and their friends? Wonder if something is going to be different this time?  How stupid can we Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »

;)
You'll make a profit. The State of NH has a requirement to the purchase of certain formats of energy. So it doesn't have to compete with the ~3.6 cent wholesale price of high efficiency natural gas production.

Mr. Magniloquent

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 06:39:46 pm »

I attempted to PM the original poster rather than resurrect this thread. For whatever reason, I cannot successfully send a private message. As such:

Sir or Madam,

You made a post about starting an alternative energy company. I plan on relocating to NH mid 2017. I have more than the minimum investment capital that you listed, but more importantly, I have a wealth of abilities that could reduce the initial investment substantially.

What is the status of the project? Can you give me more details?

Cordially,

Mr. M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything