Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A good reason NOT to move to NH?  (Read 4188 times)

roryn3kids

A good reason NOT to move to NH?
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:38 am »

Hey all,
I signed up about 3 years ago, and am anxious to move to NH, but there is one thing holding me back.  I have three kids, 8, 9 and 14, who live with their mom.  I live about 40 min away and see them every other weekend and some holidays.  We are very close and I think they need a dad in their life.  I've not been able to even open the conversation about moving away, they complain they don't see me enough as it is.  I am afraid they would feel I was abandoning them.  They live in Alabama, so seeing each other a few times a year would be all I could afford.  I justify it by thinking they could stay with me over the summer and long vacations and that to help my kids, I really need to work at insuring they have a future that is free.  Am interested in hearing viewpoints on this and ways to break the ice with the kids - thanks!

Sam Adams

Re: A good reason NOT to move to NH?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:10 am »

Family is number 1. Your kids would be justified in thinking you left them. Can,t you discuss this with their mom and maybe convince her to re-locate? Decisions are hard sometimes, but important.

roryn3kids

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  In order to sway mom we would have to have a conversation, which she is incapable of.  As a kid my parents were divorced and mom lived in CA, dad in NV - I spent winters with mom and summers with dad (plus birthday and holiday visits with dad), and i was quite happy with the arrangement  My alternative is waiting for the move to be triggered (still over a year away at least?) and then wait the allowed 5 years to move - kids would be 13, 14 and 20, much more able to relate to the move.  One thing I would like to do is take them with me on some vacations to NH and introduce them to the concepts and people who value freedom,  If they understand the uniqueness and importance of the FSP and are familiar with its people and ideas, - it wouldn't be me moving away to an unknown place for unknown reasons.

Bob D.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:25 am »

13 and 14 are still tender ages, my family holds me back as well............

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:54:41 am »

Family was one of the reasons that delayed our move, too. Don't think less of yourself for it, the kids do need you there.

Matt Clem

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 10:14:43 am »

I think our cause can be served much better by a loving father teaching his children right from wrong. It's the little things that make the big things in the liberty movement possible.
Government is the great fiction through which everyone attempts to live at the expense of everyone else.  ~ Frederic Bastiat

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:40:33 pm »

Truth be told I almost ended up in a similar situation. My best advice would be to wait a few years. I basically lived away from home sine I was 16, and not being close to daddy wasn't that bad at that point. Once they're approaching college age it should be a lot easier.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front
Pages: [1]   Go Up