Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anywhere need a bakery?  (Read 4893 times)

Matt Clem

Anywhere need a bakery?
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:04:21 pm »

My girlfriend finishEs up culinary school this winter, and once we have her loans paid down we are going to make the move. She is an excellent baker (I hope we can find key limes in NH, her key lime pie is amazing lol) and wants to open a bakery. Are there an good places? We had pondered Hanover, because of Dartmouth and its vicinity to King Arthur flour, but it seems like there are already a lot there.
Government is the great fiction through which everyone attempts to live at the expense of everyone else.  ~ Frederic Bastiat

freedomroad

Re: Anywhere need a bakery?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:01:20 pm »

My guess would be to move somewhere in central southern NH and get a baking / resturant managment job working for someone else for 6 months to 18 months while she learns the NH baking business, scouts out locations, learns if seasons relate to the businss in the area she wants to setup shop, meets investors and so on. There is a fsper that owns a restaurant in NH that did something similar and it worked out great for him and his investors. I think there is a fsper owned cafe on the Seacoast. I dont know much about it. There are business/investor meetings in Manchester, at Porcfest and at Liberty Forum.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the baking business and don't buy stuff at bakeries. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:04:09 pm by 1DayAtATime »

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »

I would agree that working at an existing bakery, first, might make the most sense.

If you scout options correctly, you might find a situation where an existing business is almost ready to expand to a second location.  Then, after gaining some connection with them, you could buy into the existing business and manage the second location.  Just a thought...
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »

On a related note, there's a diner near here for sale, at a very good price.

If she's able to run a diner for breakfast and lunch (or, rather, have employees do so) and then bake in the afternoon/evening/night (to supply others, the following morning), that would probably be profitable.  Currently, it's only open for breakfast and lunch, and I doubt it could make money as a dinner place, but if someone could serve coffee and pastries and such as a cofee shop during the afternoon/evening, while the majority of the equipment is being used for baking, that might be quite workable - the nearest coffee shop is Dunkin' Donuts, and that's ~20 minutes away.

It's easily commuting distance from Grafton, so someone could live here while running it...
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

lildog

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:31 am »

I was driving home from work yesterday and just was thinking of how much Merrimack could benefit from a true bakery.  One of those places that make really good Italian pastries!

I even know the perfect location too...

There's an old Shaws plaza on Rt 3 that is nearly totally empty aside from a restaurant.  Its right next door to a apartment/ condo complex so you'd have a lot of locals right near by.  Plus Merrimack is half way between Manchester and Nashua (two of the largest cities in NH).  Because the plaza is empty I'm sure you could get a deal for the first couple months cheap until you get established.

Not to mention you have the new outlet mall that is generating a lot of traffic and the Bud plant that brings in tourists as well.  If you open a bakery with a hook that could draw some of the people from these other sites you would stand to make a killing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything