Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NH Intentional Communities (maybe cheap housing etc)  (Read 12891 times)

Luck

• FSP Participant
NH Intentional Communities (maybe cheap housing etc)
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »

[See end of thread for most recent posts.]

I [did] hope to interview people for this thread [but not enough time for if].

We've discussed a Free Town Project before. Free Staters are trying to make several towns "free". One is Grafton. It's one of the towns that has no zoning laws etc. I think the towns farthest south in NH with no zoning are Lempster and Washington, about 40 miles west of Concord. I'd be glad to interview by email anyone from a free town project for here too.

There are 19 intentional communities listed at http://ic.org at http://directory.ic.org/intentional_communities_in_New_Hampshire . The first one on the list is Atlantis Rising, Inc. Their contact is: PO Box 154, Bradford, New Hampshire 03221-0154. Bradford is close to 30 miles west of Concord. They don't give a way to contact them via email or phone, so one would have to write to them apparently. The only way I plan to interview anyone is via email. But here's their description of their group.

We are a small community in a very quiet, secluded, rural location. There are presently two member families. We have a mixture of community-owned and private lands totaling 220 acres. We adjoin the 1,760-acre Low State Forest. Our mission is to practice sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, and silvaculture. There are presently two homes and one under construction on the land. A blacksmith shop is nearly complete. Future plans include selling hardwood lumber to cabinetmakers and building a woodworking shop. There is an established fruit and nut orchard. We may take on new members and purchase nearby lands. Long-term timber income is a community objective. Current member interests include Reiki, intuitive readings and healings, herbalism, organic grains, history, blacksmithing, sand and gravel pits, bioregional and watershed politics, libertarianism, community self-reliance, biodiversity preservation, solar energy, real estate, books and antiques, football, hiking, camping, moviemaking and movie watching, guitar, and traveling. Future plans include building a pond and sauna, large livestock, and possibly establishing a community branch in New Mexico.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:25:41 pm by Luck »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: NH Intentional Communities (1st: Atlantis Rising, Inc.)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:26:35 am »

That wouldn't really be a town. An official 'town' in NH has to be incorporated as a municipality. So that project is subject to the ordinances of Bradford.

Sam Adams

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »

That wouldn't really be a town. An official 'town' in NH has to be incorporated as a municipality. So that project is subject to the ordinances of Bradford.
                              Atlantis Rising shouldn,t be bashful from the town govt officials, promote your ideas and thoughts with the electors and let your freedom ideological ring. Its hard to start over again, but its easier to go back to honest, basic, moral, living and no-one will argue with you, unless you ALLOW them to. John is right here, change them, or they won,t change, unless you show them a better way?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:40 pm »

My point was that it wasn't a municipality; that this type of project can be done just about anywhere in NH.
And where it can't be done; it would just be a matter of a warrant petition to change the local ordinances.

You will see things in local news that is more about individual freedom... the backyard chicken issue is currently sweeping around and comes to mind.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: NH Intentional Communities (Cite Ecologique)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:04:35 pm »

Cite Ecologique
The second NH intentional community listed is Cite Ecologique at Colebrook, New Hampshire (and at Ham-Nord, Quebec, Canada).
http://directory.ic.org/23695/Cite_Ecologique_of_New_Hampshire

They have not responded to my request for an interview.

Description:
Our Ecovillage is located in the Great Northwoods region of New Hampshire.

We give priority to education, the well-being of its members,sustainable development and respect for all living things.
We also believe strongly in serving our local community. Our dedication to working harmoniously with others while staying committed to our ideals has earned the respect of the local population.

Our activities;Community Business/Microenterprise/products, Organic agriculture, Internal School for children, renewable technologies/Energy management, Spiritual practices, Sustanable Animal Husbandry, Volonteer programs, Waste Management, Permaculture/Design, Educational Courses/Training

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: NH Intentional Communities (Peaceful Assembly in Grafton)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:07:38 pm »

Latest NHLA Newsletter has this mention of this Grafton group.

Peaceful Assembly Church in Grafton
Grafton's Peaceful Assembly Church is looking for members. If you believe in peace and liberty, perhaps you would like to join. Membership is free, and Peaceful Assembly Church is open to all who believe in peace: Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Nothing-at-all, or Something-in-between---all are invited.

Peaceful Assembly Church was organized in 2010 by John Connell, a liberty and peace activist who moved to New Hampshire as part of the Free State movement. Since its inception, the Church has been host to a number of community and liberty events, including dinners for the Liberty Scholarship Fund; the yearly Grafton Apple Festival; the Liberty, Justice & Peace Gathering the year that Liberty Forum was cancelled; and an NHLA activist-training event in 2012. This past year, Pastor John Connell signed the church over to a new Board of Directors who are looking to grow the Church's membership and expand the church's outreach to Grafton and to the liberty community around the rest of New Hampshire. Learn more at http://www.peacefulassemblychurch.org.

A potluck-style get-together will be held on Sunday, October 6, starting at 3pm, and is open to any interested potential members. They want to hear from you about what you would like to see in a church serving the liberty community. The church is located at 860 Main St., Grafton, NH, 03240. If you have any questions, you can contact Jeremy J. Olson at jeremy@jeremyjolson.com or Tom Ploszaj at tom@tomploszaj.com.

Cp4056

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »

I hope to interview people for this thread.

We've discussed a Free Town Project before. Free Staters are trying to make several towns "free". One is Grafton. It's one of the towns that has no zoning laws etc. I think the towns farthest south in NH with no zoning are Lempster and Washington, about 40 miles west of Concord. I'd be glad to interview by email anyone from a free town project for here too.

There are 19 intentional communities listed at http://ic.org at http://directory.ic.org/intentional_communities_in_New_Hampshire . The first one on the list is Atlantis Rising, Inc. Their contact is: PO Box 154, Bradford, New Hampshire 03221-0154. Bradford is close to 30 miles west of Concord. They don't give a way to contact them via email or phone, so one would have to write to them apparently. The only way I plan to interview anyone is via email. But here's their description of their group.

We are a small community in a very quiet, secluded, rural location. There are presently two member families. We have a mixture of community-owned and private lands totaling 220 acres. We adjoin the 1,760-acre Low State Forest. Our mission is to practice sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, and silvaculture. There are presently two homes and one under construction on the land. A blacksmith shop is nearly complete. Future plans include selling hardwood lumber to cabinetmakers and building a woodworking shop. There is an established fruit and nut orchard. We may take on new members and purchase nearby lands. Long-term timber income is a community objective. Current member interests include Reiki, intuitive readings and healings, herbalism, organic grains, history, blacksmithing, sand and gravel pits, bioregional and watershed politics, libertarianism, community self-reliance, biodiversity preservation, solar energy, real estate, books and antiques, football, hiking, camping, moviemaking and movie watching, guitar, and traveling. Future plans include building a pond and sauna, large livestock, and possibly establishing a community branch in New Mexico.

Man, that scratches me right where I itch, but I may be too far along in my life's flowchart to realize anything like that- too bad

Twigg

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:54 pm »

Later....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:51:36 pm by Twigg »

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: NH Intentional Communities (FrugalFannie's Community Land Business Plan)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:10 pm »

Don't be shy. Post the details anyway. (Please.)

[See next post for info.]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:07:34 am by Luck »

FrugalFannie

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:12:20 am »

Don't be shy. Post the details anyway. (Please.)

Twigg was referring to my project. He's already seen the details. I will be at Liberty Forum with a table so I will be able to find and talk to. But here's the just of it.

I know many of you have talked about doing a land purchase before. Some of you are interested in a “bug out location” and some are perhaps looking to permanently move to NH but are ‘tied’ to your jobs. Some of you may be just starting out and trying to get a grasp on a good start. And then there may be a few who want either a ‘second home’ or a retirement home.

I have a solution. I have launched a business to purchase a large piece of land in NH, ideally 200 acres, where you can build what you want for a home on your own time. A place where we can create our own community.

Most people get stuck trying to overcome the financial hurdle of doing this. This is why I have spent the last several months constructing a business plan that would allow people to live their dream AND prepare for a worst case scenario. This is a solution for good times and bad. In good times a business needs to make money, and this will. In bad times we will all need a group of mutually supportive people, a prepared and self sustaining community.

I am currently seeking investors with a minimum of $25,000 to invest.

I will be seeking ‘participants’ who would be leasing a lot on a 99 year term, guaranteed renewable and saleable after we purchase a piece of land.

If you are interested in learning more, please email me with your FORUM name and whether you are interested as an investor, participant or both. I will be scheduling group meetings for those who may be interested.

BetterWayLiving @ gmail dot com.

You can also find me on Facebook as Frugal Fannie

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: NH Intentional Communities (FrugalFannie's Community Land Business Plan)
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:17 am »

Can 25 people with 1000 each be co-investors?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:08:21 am by Luck »

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »

Twigg was referring to my project. ... I will be at Liberty Forum with a table so I will be able to find and talk to.

Fannie, you are welcome to present this at AltExpo#15 at Liberty Forum. We could capture it on video for you, as well.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: NH Intentional Communities (Peaceful Babe Farm)
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03:41 pm »

Peaceful Babe Farm
http://www.ic.org/directory/peaceful-babe-farm
Acworth, New Hampshire (20-30 mi. north of Keene)
[L]iving in what used to be “the apprentice cabin” at the Cold Pond Community Land Trust. What we have going is sort of a small farmstead within a larger farming community, surrounded by thousands of acres of woodland, situated in a small town in western New Hampshire. We are looking for people to stay with us, any time of year, short or long-term, to join our family and help us to grow and raise the food we eat! Things are in their beginning stages here – we have plans for the future, which have an emphasis on community, relationships, health, and celebrations of life and love. We want true community

See link for more details.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Re: NH Intentional Communities (Community land trusts)
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »

Community land trusts
http://www.thenation.com/article/how-to-get-rid-of-your-landlord-and-socialize-american-housing-in-3-easy-steps/
- But why endow private profit-motivated interests control over construction at all? There is no reason to suspect that a given property-development capitalist should be more capable of determining for a community what optimally desirable new buildings to produce than the community itself is. Luckily, there is an entity capable of turning development over to the most concerned parties: nonprofit community land trusts, their boards typically composed at least one-third of residents, take land off the market, and lease homes long-term to residents at below-market rates, retaining the majority of the home equity gained over time.
- The predominantly black and Latino residents of the Dudley Street area of Roxbury, one of Boston’s poorest neighborhoods, got Boston city officials to take the unprecedented step of granting the power of eminent domain to the community for more than 1,300 parcels of abandoned land. With this tract, the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI) established a community land trust that has democratically directed a renovation project resulting in hundreds of affordable-housing units and other public spaces, among them community centers, new schools, a community greenhouse, parks, and playgrounds.
- While the rest of Boston has lately struggled with a blight of post-bubble vacancies, followed by a massive wave of turn-overs due to rising rents, residents of DSNI’s land trust maintained a stable community. Most of the first batch of houses sold on the trust still contain their initial owners, who are passing them on to their children. “If you’re looking to buy a house, flip it, and speculate elsewhere,” says Tony Hernandez, longtime resident and director of operations for the land trust, “you’d better move on, because that’s not what this is intended for.”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:03:40 pm by Luck »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up