Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on residency  (Read 1316 times)

FD123

Questions on residency
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:08:48 pm »

Hello FSP members!!
I feel like a lost sheep that found his flock!!

I am a current CT resident and am extreemly disapointed with the current state of affairs here.  I do not want to run out on my liberty loving friends here however I fear things are near hopeless for my family's home of more than 100 years. 

I am ready willing and able to purchase real estate in NH.
I have a good job in CT at this time.
Now the questions,

Can I change residency to NH without phsically being there 6 months a year??
I would be there 3 days a week plus vacations.  It will total close to 6 months.
I will draw a paycheck from a CT based company.
I wish to change drivers license, and voting to NH and will pay all taxes due in both states.
I did some research and the threshold for residency was intent.  This I pass by far.  The tax stuff seems to be more about counting the days here or there.

Thank you for your thoughts-FD123

lildog

Re: Questions on residency
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:22:48 pm »

Only NH law I'm aware of regarding residency is RSA 21:6 which states:
A resident or inhabitant or both of this state and of any city, town or other political subdivision of this state shall be a person who is domiciled or has a place of abode or both in this state and in any city, town or other political subdivision of this state, and who has, through all of his actions, demonstrated a current intent to designate that place of abode as his principal place of physical presence for the indefinite future to the exclusion of all others.

That last part I put in bold is the only thing I can find about any period of time.  No NH laws specifically state X # of days a year or a week.

Considering that many of the NH liberals are the ones pushing for out of state college students who have cars registered at their parents address, use their parents addresses for insurance and any loans and/or scholarships should be considered NH residents for sake of voting, I personally think if you register your car here and use NH for primary address for most things outside your job (and maybe if you have a good employer, including your job since NH doesn't have a state income tax) then I would say you meet the requirements a lot better then the ones the liberals claim are valid residents regardless of the physical time spent here.

FrugalFannie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:18 pm »

I'm going to take a stab and guess you are looking for a way to legally own the guns CT just banned. AFAI and IANAL if you own property in NH you can store any firearm you legally own on your property. I don't know if that is correct or how CT would look at that.

FD123

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:09 pm »

I could go on for days about CT's disregard for US and state constitutions, but that is only part of the equation.  I also want to change to a more rural lifestyle, somewhat prepperesque, and feel NH offers more affordable opertunities than CT.  Live Free or Die just feels right to me.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:14:18 pm »

I was looking into something like this with Mass because I have to commute into Boston each day. I found that the residency problem wasn't with NH or NH Laws, it was with Mass laws. Mass has all kinds of laws and fines associated with holding residency in another state while spending more than a "tourist visa" amount of time in Mass. For example, fines for having an out of state plate (re: vehicle excise tax), income tax related stuff, etc., etc...

I would look at the CT laws to see if there is anything there that will prevent your plans. We'd love to have to you though. And, I know of no issues with NH laws. You could save a ton on car insurance and taxes (sales and possibly income) by doing a 3-and-4 thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up