Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice Needed! Nashua or What?  (Read 2921 times)

ScotsGael

Advice Needed! Nashua or What?
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:25:31 am »

I'm thinking about moving to NH, and to Nashua specifically. I'd like some advice though, so here's my situation and a few questions:

I don't have a job lined up yet, and will probably have to move first to get one, since I don't have any professional credentials. For starters I'll take anything I can get.  I'm all by myself. I'm in my mid-20's and have a bachelor of arts degree. As a writer/artist/filmmaker I kinda want to be close to Boston/Portsmouth. But I also want to be in an area with lots of people, both libertarians and artists. So then....

- Are there a lot of FSP members in Nashua?
- Is finding basic/entry level work in or around Nashua easy?
- Are there other areas in Southeast NH that might fit my needs?
- Is renting pretty affordable and available in this rough area?

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Advice Needed! Nashua or What?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:16:29 am »

- Are there a lot of FSP members in Nashua?

Yes. Smaller community then Manchester but all of us are pretty active. Come join our FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/NashuaLibertySocial/

Is finding basic/entry level work in or around Nashua easy?

It depends what you are looking for. Lots of retail and lots of technology.

Are there other areas in Southeast NH that might fit my needs?

Anywhere along the southern border.

Is renting pretty affordable and available in this rough area?

Apartments start at ~$800 in Nashua proper but you can get it down via Craigslist or getting a roommate.

ScotsGael

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:44:27 pm »

Thanks for the info. I've got a couple more questions.

- What are people in Nashua like? Is it a lot of Boston/MA commuters? Non-natives? Are there lots of 20-somethings?

- How hard is it to find less-than-one-year leases in the area? Preferably month-to-month. I just looked at a $700 1 bedroom in Hudson, but the lease is one-year. I don't want to get trapped in the area if it doesn't work out for me....

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:21:42 am »

Nashua is great, I can't talk bad about it since I was born there and everything... ;)

Are you planning on visiting? I think one of the most important parts of finding where you "belong" up here is visiting first to check out the different areas, people in them, etc.

I currently live in Manchester and I have to say I've come to love this place. (New Hampshire overall) Manchester is more like the "hub" of New Hampshire. It's got all the main highways coming into and out of it, Concord (the capitol) is only 20 minutes north, Portsmouth is close enough to the southeast when you want to go to the sea and whatnot. The mountains are only about an hour north, which is nice. There's lots going on in Manch and it's close enough to all the other cities that if you find work anywhere you're pretty solid on being open to it all. :)

The apartments I found to live in are a little more on the "higher" end of price but they offer 2 months free up front as an enticement to sign a year lease. It's really nice. :) (Helped me to move out of communist CT earlier than previously planned! :) )

I do wish you luck and hope to see you in the free state soon! :)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:33:16 am »

- What are people in Nashua like? Is it a lot of Boston/MA commuters?

Lots of local jobs too. The south end of Nashua is where most of Mass comes to do its tax free shopping so we have a huge mall, a couple of dozen car lots, various other stores etc.

Non-natives?

Nashua is probably the most diverse city in the state. The tech industry attracts a great deal of imports from all over the world.

Are there lots of 20-somethings?

Both in the city at large and the local liberty community yes. Both Keene and Manchester probably have higher proportions of 20-somethings in the liberty community though.

How hard is it to find less-than-one-year leases in the area? Preferably month-to-month.

Month-to-month is easier via craigslsit. The only corporate owned complex I know of which offers month to month leases is http://campbellapts.com/woodlands_info.html which is $875 for a 1 bedroom.

Hudson is a pretty nice town btw and its really easy to access the rest of the state and MA. If you live in the Nashua, Manchester and Salem triangle you are never more then 30 minutes away from all three so even if there isn't much going on where you are there is plenty of other things to do relatively close by.

The easiest way to figure out where you would like to live is to come for a visit. Portsmouth wins hands down on nightlife but is very expensive to live, Nashua has substantially more jobs then elsewhere in the state and has the shortest commute time to Boston while Manchester has the best bars, restaurants and the largest liberty community in the state.

ScotsGael

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 05:34:15 pm »

Thanks for all the info people. It's still a tough decision. I think I'll just make a visit soon and probably go from there.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:02:07 am »

Smart choice IMHO. :)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

plasma1010

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 02:57:55 pm »

If you're looking for a city which doesn't close down at 5pm on the weekends, actually has social people in it and entertaining things happen, don't move to Concord.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »

If you're looking for a city which doesn't close down at 5pm on the weekends, actually has social people in it and entertaining things happen, don't move to Concord.

lol well, Concord IS the capitol / place with all the politicians... ;)

plasma1010

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:21 pm »

lol well, Concord IS the capitol / place with all the politicians... ;)

It's def. the nicest capital of any state in the US I've ever been to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up