Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: experienced web developer and system administrator volunteers  (Read 8000 times)

webkeys

hi, i emailed the volunteer IT coordinator yesterday about helping with the site but haven't heard anything back yet so i thought i'd post here.  i've been looking through the site and have made a list of issues that i could fix quickly and easily.  could one of the developers or system administrators please message or email me?  is there someone else i should contact?  if so, please let me know who that is.

Alex Libman

Re: experienced web developer and system administrator volunteers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »

My observation over the years has been that there's no desire for dev / techie volunteers.  An unusually large fraction of Porcupines are in IT, and "too many cooks spoil the stew".  Ideas generally weren't accepted either, which I guess is understandable - "leave 'well enough' alone".

But good luck getting through...

webkeys

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »

Yea i get that vibe too, but it really shouldn't be an issue if you have a good project manager and devs use comments, version control and thoroughly test the code before deployments.  So I guess i'll just keep waiting in this thread with my awesome list of improvements and see if the IT people wanna at least read it. 

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:23 am »

So I guess i'll just keep waiting in this thread with my awesome list of improvements and see if the IT people wanna at least read it.

If you have an awesome list of improvements, it might make sense to post it here.  If enough participants like your ideas, and email the appropriate folks, there would probably be some action.

Right now, you're just one voice, among thousands who are all saying that they have a great idea.  If a few folks are reading those messages, there's little they can do so sort out what is and is not meaningful.  If, on the other hand, you present your ideas to the FSP's participants, and a couple dozen like the ideas, then all of a sudden there are a dozen voices saying the same thing, and it's much more likely that someone will notice that there's interest.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

webkeys

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29:07 am »

these were originally just notes to myself so some of it uses some technical words and other nonsense that only makes sense to me.  you can copy and paste the beginning parts to the end of http://freestateproject.org to see the page i'm talking about.  let me know if you want me to clarify anything.  i also didn't go through the whole site.  i can do more if i get a good response.

here it is:

1   landing page for IT center
     3   alt text for forum icons
     5   /content/fsp-web-standards typo: s/hes/hex
     7   /store merchandise full size image link, swatch even?s
     9   /store typo: s/one the other hand/on the other hand
    11   /store: images next to add to cart buttons
    13   /store: align buttons
    15   put store products into categories, product pages, views maybe
    17   /store: s/One the other hand, is it a look of snide derision cast upon those in the 'lower 48'/On the other hand, is it a look of snide derision cast upon those in the 'lower 49'
    19   /store no verb: No matter how you view it, a great design to remember a great time, and promote a great cause.
    21   /store what's his first name: Stark's immortal words
    23   /store FSP Merchandise Partners ...wtf? make it a block or something
    25   fsp web chat
    27   add products rss feed etc to google shopping and friends
    29   /store grey bg after bg image ends
    31   /store remove out of stock items from '05 last chance closeout section and thumbnail
    33   /store remove any other out of stock items that won't be restocked
    35   /store use an icon or css and/or some flag to normalize 'out of stock' and 'back in stock' text
    37   /store widen content area
    39   /store molon label ribbon pin: remove/fix dropdown
    41   bitcoin payment option
    45   *********************
    46   /store/porcfest05.php
    47   *********************
    49   remove double title
    51   separate section/category for closeouts
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:31:22 am by webkeys »

webkeys

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:10:00 pm »

Wow.  http://freestateproject.org/store looks a million times better.  Good job to whoever did that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything