Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana grower in Concord prison needs help getting his voice heard  (Read 3901 times)

gabriele13

My husband Carl Mabry is an inmate at the Transitional Work Center of NH State Prison. He was arrested on April 19th 2012 for growing marijuana and was sentenced to a 1 1/2 to 4 years. He has no previous records. While serving his sentence in prison he completed all required programs, never tested positive for drugs and has no disciplinary marks on his record of any kind. After serving one year he was approved by DOC to be released on the "bracelet", but Judge Vaughan of Grafton County Superior Court denied his request because he never approves early releases, no matter what crime was commited. My husband understands that his business was against the law and doesn't blame the police that arrested him or the court that sentenced him. But the laws are changing and he, as an experienced long time grower, wants to participate in the discusion of legalization, decriminalization and eventual taxation of marijuana. We are looking for someone to help write letters or get in touch with people or organizations that might be able to help him see freedom sooner. If you are willing to heard him out, you can contact me at gabriele13@gmail.com to set up date and time when he could call you or get my phone number. Thank you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shmalphy

Re: Marijuana grower in Concord prison needs help getting his voice heard
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:58:02 pm »

I am very sorry to hear that. The laws in NH regarding cannabis (marijuana is a pejorative term) are draconian, at best. This is one of the reasons I was surprised the FSP chose NH, a state which imprisons it's citizens over a single gram or less. Seems to go against the ideology of "live free or die" if you ask me.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:03:54 pm »

I am very sorry to hear that. The laws in NH regarding cannabis (marijuana is a pejorative term) are draconian, at best. This is one of the reasons I was surprised the FSP chose NH, a state which imprisons it's citizens over a single gram or less. Seems to go against the ideology of "live free or die" if you ask me.

If you looks at the statistics rather than one example you wouldn't be so surprised. Marijuana laws are one small piece, as a whole NH consistently comes at the top or near the top of things like the Freedom in the 50 states.  Also the Marijuana laws are softening since Lynch is no longer governor.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

shmalphy

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »

I have friends in NH, who have been to prison for the same thing, so I guess it depends on what your idea of freedom is and what you plan on doing with it. If you want freedom from big pharma, and want to grow your own medicine, or heaven forbid even recreational pot without being thrown in jail, NH is not the state to do that in. It is surrounded by more lenient states, when it comes to pot laws.

Having lived in a neighboring state my whole life, 20 min from the border, I can attest firsthand that NH is a lot less free than the license plate slogan would lead you to believe.

Bob D.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:06:50 am »

If you looks at the statistics rather than one example you wouldn't be so surprised. Marijuana laws are one small piece, as a whole NH consistently comes at the top or near the top of things like the Freedom in the 50 states.  Also the Marijuana laws are softening since Lynch is no longer governor.

The states that have made marijuana legal have a heavy population of Liberal Progressives, and a small state like NH is a lot easier to create a liberty minded majority in. Let the majority grow, and vote to change the laws.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:03 am »

want to grow your own medicine,

I grew up 5 minutes from NH, as a kid I used to walk to NH to buy fireworks that I couldn't in my state (ME). Medical marijuana is now legal in NH but you can't grow it yet.   That it is as far as it is now in the state has a lot to do with free staters. Considering that the move hasn't been trigger so only a small percentage of the final total have moved the amount of progress made is surprisingly large. The progress would be much smaller in one of those other states.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

shmalphy

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50:14 am »

Honestly, I hope it does change. I just wanted to point out that this would be a hurdle for some, and the contrast between the slogan "live free or die" and the draconian pot laws.

Even California, the supposed holy land of the herb (to some) has people serving life in prison for strictly cannabis related offenses, and the idea of growing it is still a grey area in CO and WA. Hopefully, the FSP can change this aspect when people move there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up