Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Must new members be 18?  (Read 20166 times)

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
Re:Must new members be 18?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2003, 02:51:53 pm »

Jason could probably answer this post, or Elizabeth, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't allow you to sign up, if you had your parents permission.

I'm assuming the reason for the 18-year-old requirement is that minors who aren't legally emancipated aren't generally able to sign contracts.

I'm 16 years old and I strongly believe in libertarian principles and the FSP. I'm currently registered as a Friend of the FSP, because it says I must be over 18 to register as a member. Is this requirement really necessary? I'll be 18 in a little over a year and a half, so I'll have no problem moving within the five-year timeframe after the Project reaches 20,000.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Patriot69

• FSP Participant
  • I'm supposed to be witty here, right?
    • Eternal Vigilance
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2003, 08:12:30 pm »

I am a 16-year-old male and signed up under "Friend." I am expecting to see membership pick up after the state is announced. Although I agree with most of what GimmeFuel says, now that it is too late for minors to vote, I don't see the point of signing up until age 18 anyway. I will turn 18 11/21/04, and be a Senior in high school. I will probably look at colleges in the Free State, thus aiding in the move from New York State. It is very hard to move without your family before 18 anyway, and the voting age is 18 too. I would like a lower voting age if possible!  :D Until then, I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement.

Both a wise and mature choice. Best of luck to you inthe "Free World", my young friend! :)
"The future doesn't belong to the faint-hearted.  It belongs to the brave." -- Ronald Reagan

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2003, 04:28:22 pm »

Jason could probably answer this post, or Elizabeth, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't allow you to sign up, if you had your parents permission.

I'm assuming the reason for the 18-year-old requirement is that minors who aren't legally emancipated aren't generally able to sign contracts.

That's part of it, but an equally if not more important part is the PR aspect -- we don't ever want to be in the position of being accused of "recruiting children".  It's not fair, but it's reality -- and we have to deal with image issues as an important requirement for success of our mission.

synthbaron

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2003, 11:18:22 pm »

No one seems to realize that we are not currently living in a country that allows "normal" 16 year olds to enter into contract or vote in an election. Not to mention that at 16, your parents own your ass...so you would at least need signed approval from them. As far as selecting and moving to the chosen state, not many 18 year olds would even have the means to do so.

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2003, 10:27:37 pm »

As far as selecting and moving to the chosen state, not many 18 year olds would even have the means to do so.

I know many 13-16 year-olds who informally move. Have to dig some of them off the streets. Motivation high enough, will move.

However, what it comes down to for me is this: the very first sf book I read was The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. In it, Hazel Meade gets recruited as a 12-year-old (or possibly 11). The adults involved evaluate her as an adult. I evaluate GimmeFuel as an adult, and would ofer full membership.

If I hadn't already voted, I'd ask GimmeFuel preferences and consider. I suggest that someone neutral do so. Yeah, it's a crappy work-around. But as a hacker, I'm used to getting around misfeatures in the system.

Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2003, 10:40:39 pm »

One further point: should we gain effective control of the Free State, we don't have to follow federal rules for state and local elections. Can set voting age at 16 or 21 if we wish.

Or we could give one tax dollar, one vote. If we could avoid strategic voting, I'd give tax receivers negative votes. I think of organizations that work: corporations and religious organizations. Can be dictatorship or pure democracy. The point is that authority must match responsibility.

As we know, in US voters vote for bread and circuses. So far, stadium votes are usually negative, although both Cleveland and Cincinnati have voted what amount to multimillion subsidies to professional athletes. Presumably, the Free State will do better.

I hope we take the fight on the offensive and encourage others. Let's especially note that teens are making life decisions. Many of them may be monitoring this thread. Or only a few, but key early maturers. So let's let those teens know that it is not the unanimous opinion to decide based on age-arbitrary criterion.

That said, Jason and the board made a decision. They created the Free State Project, not me (member >5000). So I accept the vote. I hope that we think out our decisions, and I know that we will discuss many at length (see which state as example).
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

John-Wiltbank

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2003, 10:51:51 am »

Excellent idea, bIlluminati!  I have not voted, and hereby offer my vote to GimmeFuel (although you'd better like Wyoming, Gimme.   :D  Just kidding!).  This offer only stands, of course, if he's willing to promise me he'll make the move.  I encourage any other age-impaired individuals willing to pledge to move to post here and maybe this thread can play matchmaker with other vote donaters.

We can call it the "No Child-Who's-Really-An-Adult Left Behind" Program
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 11:13:19 am by JohnWiltbank »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up