Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retiring to NH ?  (Read 2926 times)

Samadam

Retiring to NH ?
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:33:36 am »

I have 5 years left before retiring from the federal government. I currently live in MD.  I am concerned with the high property tax in NH being retired.  Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Re: Retiring to NH ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:52:13 am »

Although property taxes in NH are higher on average than most states it varies from town to town.  Also compared to other New England states you get a lot more bang for your buck in NH.  So you may end up paying less property taxes for the same kind of property then you would in a near by state.  Also costs are lower in other areas like no sales tax for instance.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Samadam

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »

Thanks. We will try to schedule a trip to visit the state.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »

Yes, the overall tax burden is either the lowest or second lowest in the U.S. - so property taxes get offset by that. Even then though, there are some towns in NH with very low property taxes. It all depends where you look.

I'd suggest giving the map a look: http://liberty603.com
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »

I have 5 years left before retiring from the federal government. I currently live in MD.  I am concerned with the high property tax in NH being retired.  Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

NH doesn't have high property taxes. Well, it does, but it also has no property taxes and low property taxes, depending on where you live.

What are looking for? If you are looking to move to the Lakes Region there are a lot of low property tax towns there. You just want to make sure your place isn't huge or actually next to a lake. Lots of trailer parks on there, also.

If you want to live in an urban area, Salem has a 55+ trailer park where trailers go for very little and park fees are reasonable. It's not very loud either, since only 55+ and their family are allowed to live there. Salem is 35 minutes from Boston and right on I-93. It's also really close to the MA train system so if you want to visit Boston or any of the MA 'burbs you have a short drive to the train parking lot.

There are also condos available all over NH from $50,000 - $100,000.

All of the above options mean low property taxes. You could even live in a trailer in a town with low property taxes and pay almost nothing. The thing about trailer parks up here is that they usually aren't that bad. State reps, city councils and that sort of thing live in trailer parks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up