Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Homesteading in NH  (Read 13333 times)

Erik The Red

Homesteading in NH
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:13:17 am »

Hello All,

I am a new forum member, not yet an FSP member/friend. I am considering a move to NH for various reasons, primarily proximity to my wife's family (VT, MA). I am currently in discussions with a couple of employers in NH for possible employment opportunities, but I have never lived in New England (I'm a southern boy) and am wondering about homesteading (gardening and such) in the NH area.

Can anyone share any insight as to what I need to consider in very general broad terms about homesteading in NH? For example, I like raising chickens and other small stock. What things do I need to consider to raise small stock in NH? Are there specific animal housing requirements in the cold winters? What about water rights? Are there any concerns with rain water catchment or pond construction to consider up there? Some states are very restrictive on rainwater catchment -- I don't know in NH. What about keeping stock inside of townships? It looks like there are very few unincorporated areas and most 'rural' homesites are still within townships. Are there regulations about livestock keeping in these areas?

I guess what I am really after would be 'What a southern boy needs to know about moving to the cold-ass New England area', with a specific emphasis on NH.

I apologize in advance for asking such broad questions, but I really have no clue about New England/NH. Any general information about living in the north, as compared to the south, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

erik
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:15:24 am by Erik The Red »

Connectisuck

• The Resident Misanthrope
Re: Homesteading in NH
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:37:40 pm »

That's a good question. Unfortunately, you may not get the answers you seek. Read sixty-nine times, and you posted this four days ago. What does that tell ya?

Erik The Red

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:41:07 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that it did not get any replies yet. I have posted a very similar question in another forum and have goten some good answers there.

What it tells me is that either this forum is not that heavily used, or that it is focused on other issues. Most of the traffic I see here has a more political bent, which is understandable, given the nature of the FSP.

erik

Connectisuck

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:48:16 pm »

I'd like an answer to that question as well, so you should link me to your post when you get a chance.

By the way, it's neither of those reasons.

Erik The Red

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:04:08 pm »

Hi OG,

This link is the near identical post I put out on The Survival Podcast forums and the responses I received.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42408.0

Connectisuck

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »

Seems like a lot of work. Too bad you can't get decent answers to decent questions on this site like you can on TSP Forums. How soon are you lookin' to relocate, Erik?

Erik The Red

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:15:04 pm »

Not sure yet. I am in negotiations with a prospective employer now, probably going to be visiting in about 2 weeks to meet in person and explore the manchester area/burbs. I also have school aged children, so would probably not move the entire household until June, though I could potentially be there and working as soon as a month form now.

Erik

Connectisuck

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:20:46 pm »

Like I said in the PM, we should try to keep in touch. I have a few challenges ahead of me too for homesteading. You mentioned visiting the suburbs. A bit counter-intuitive for someone who wants to homestead, unless you plan to rent and save up instead of Zerg rushing to empty land. Is that the plan? Rent, save, then buy?

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that it did not get any replies yet. I have posted a very similar question in another forum and have goten some good answers there.

What it tells me is that either this forum is not that heavily used, or that it is focused on other issues. Most of the traffic I see here has a more political bent, which is understandable, given the nature of the FSP.

erik

Sure, you got some good answers on the other forum, but you got some silly answers, too. It doesn't get nearly as cold in NH as some of those folks seem to think. Not everyone here even owns a winter coat, and you can see a few people walking around in shorts year round.

As to homesteading, it was discussed in a topic in this very subforum just recently. You would have seen the thread had you made even a cursory glance before posting. The best answer is that most of what you asked about is allowed outside of the larger cities, but it ultimately depends on the specific town.

Erik The Red

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »

Thank you for your reply.

Sure, you got some good answers on the other forum, but you got some silly answers, too. It doesn't get nearly as cold in NH as some of those folks seem to think. Not everyone here even owns a winter coat, and you can see a few people walking around in shorts year round.

That's nice to hear, the not as cold part. I realize that some of the answers on the TSP forum may not have been completely accurate, and I also realize that there is no real substitute for direct experience. Ultimately, I will only find out everything I want to know once I have lived there for some time.

As to homesteading, it was discussed in a topic in this very subforum just recently. You would have seen the thread had you made even a cursory glance before posting. The best answer is that most of what you asked about is allowed outside of the larger cities, but it ultimately depends on the specific town.

I actually did do some cursory searching and posted here when I realized that I was not finding the answers I was looking for. I did see some info on beekeeping and another thread about whether it was/wasn't feasible to have a year round greenhouse in NH.

erik

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

Thank you for your reply.

That's nice to hear, the not as cold part. I realize that some of the answers on the TSP forum may not have been completely accurate, and I also realize that there is no real substitute for direct experience. Ultimately, I will only find out everything I want to know once I have lived there for some time.

I actually did do some cursory searching and posted here when I realized that I was not finding the answers I was looking for. I did see some info on beekeeping and another thread about whether it was/wasn't feasible to have a year round greenhouse in NH.

erik

Fair enough.

One point that should have been made on the beekeeping thread concerns the idea of hiding your hives from local inspectors. It's not a good idea, just from the point of controlling disease in the bee population, and it's not necessary, as agricultural inspectors rarely care about local ordinances; all they want to do is check out the hive and move on. But, it's also nearly impossible to keep a hive secret. An inspector might not know that you have a hive, but other beekeepers almost certainly will. When new bees show up and start working an area, other beekeepers obviously know about it, and they will often track the bees back to their hive. So it generally works best just to be upfront with people in the local beekeeping community, and not worry too much about regulations.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 07:34:43 am »

Most of the questions would need a specific municipality to answer, as much of that is controlled by the municipality. Unincorporated areas tend to be owned by large timber interests that have no desire to sell.

Water Rights are State protected; and you may draw what you need.

As for visiting the suburbs...
NH cities tend to be small, so surrounding towns are sometimes considered to be suburbs, but provide decent access to a larger market.

Shane_C

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:21 am »

A good book to read on the topic would be Groundwork : A gardeners ecology Roger B. Swain . He lives in NH and owns a farm in NH that has been passed down in his family.

Karta

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »

I found this info on groundwater rights if you're interested:

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissioner/pip/factsheets/dwgb/documents/dwgb-22-13.pdf

We are also thinking of homesteading if/when we move to NH.

Jana In NC

• Independent & Unaffiliated
    • Homesteading Nation
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:06 pm »

Eric The Red, has a great list of questions regarding the North vs. the South.  NC has become very restrictive as many all over the nation have.
I found a great resource that shows an actual map  with details of state rainwater harvesting laws. 

State Rainwater Harvesting Statues, Programs and Legislation
http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/rainwater-harvesting.aspx

Glad to have found this forum, there so much to learn, this seems like a great place to start.
Jana M.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up