Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clevelanders coming to PorcFest, general ?'s  (Read 3140 times)

LibertyBell

Clevelanders coming to PorcFest, general ?'s
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:00 pm »

Hello! My husband and I are planning on moving to NH to join the FSP by the end of the year. We've lived in the Cleveland area our whole lives and are pretty overwhelmed trying to make plans and make sure we do things in order. We've decided to let employment pick the area we'll be moving to but we're not quite ready to start putting out resumes. We're really putting a lot of hope in this project! We're about to leave everyone we know to commit to living in a state we've never even visited! We just decided that we're coming to PorcFest 2013 to check things out. We assume we'll need to make at least 2 trips before we officially move; the tentative plan is if we decide to buy right away we'll make a second trip and if we end up renting we may just do everything online to save money for the move. We're now debating how our time will be best utilized while we're in NH in June. Unfortunately, we won't be able to stay for the entire week due to work restrictions, probably more like 5 days. So I guess what my main questions are: 1, How would you spend your 5 days if you were us? Should we focus most of our time on networking at the campground or should we be more focused on the areas closer to the cities where we'd most likely be living? I'm hoping that we can meet some people who might be able to point us in the right direction for work (my husband currently works in IT & web development) so networking seemed the most important to me but my husband is more interested in exploring the metro areas. 2, Since I don't think we'll spend our entire time at the fest, which half would you suggest that we make it to? It seems like the highest concentration of people would be there for the second half since it's over the weekend but I'd just like to confirm that with someone who knows for sure. Finally, if anyone has any sort of advice or tips on how you did it or things you wish you had thought of (hindsight), we'd really appreciate any info anyone can give us!

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
Re: Clevelanders coming to PorcFest, general ?'s
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:13 pm »

I'd probably, personally, suggest the weekend part of PorcFest to get "the most" out of it. :-)

As far as whether to stay at PF the entire time or not, it's totally up to how y'all feel. I think the majority (probably 60%+) of the people that are living in New Hampshire as FSPers will probably be at PF the entire time, if not most of the time... so it might be tough to spend only a part of the time you're up in New Hampshire at PF and expect to meet or network with anyone in any of the cities you'd be looking at living in. People probably won't be doing their normal weekly meetups and all that, since they'll likely be at PF. (This isn't a guarantee, just an observation I'm making.)

I think it'd be a safe bet that you'll be able to network with a LOT of people at PorcFest. We're expecting this to be the biggest PF yet, with probably 1,500 people or so in attendance. (Not sure on the exact numbers yet)

I think y'all will love New Hampshire and make great friends in the FSP. :-) (There's lots of IT minded folk)

Also, my wife's family is from Cleveland - so if anything, you've got at least one other couple to talk to that knows where you come from and whatnot. :-) (And we go there every year for Christmas to visit family)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:49 pm »

Welcome to the forum!

Get a prepaid cell phone for NH (603). Put that # on the resume. Put that you are moving to NH on your (or for your husband's) resume or even leave off your current address. Line up several job interviews to happen just before, after or during Porcfest. Go to those jobs interviews and spend the rest of the time at Porcfest. Most of the IT work is done close to the NH/MA border (especially in the Nashua area) though there are also jobs in Manchester, Portsmouth, Hanover and so on.

No need to wait until Porcfest to start networking. In fact, you are kinda doing it right now :)

Here is the FSP resource for jobs, housing and more. http://freestateproject.org/nhinfocenter

Join the FSP Job Alert and so on https://www.facebook.com/groups/fspjobalert/

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:13:59 pm »

Definitely come for the later part of the week. Fri and Sat are the slammingest days, but you should also keep an eye on the schedule at porcfest.com for planning purposes, there might be a talk that addresses your needs or you just find really interesting some other day. I would try to split my time pretty evenly between looking at the metros vs being at the campground personally. You will make a lot of friends and connections by being at the campgrounds, which will be invaluable to your move. Looking at the different cities is also important, but I wouldn't go into that with the expectation that you're going to find your future job or apartment/house. Just feel out the areas, get the lay of the land, go into some stores or restaurants and talk to people. See which places have more of what you need and want in your daily life. With your husband in IT you will more likely end up in Manchester or Nashua, possibly Portsmouth if your budget allows, just as a few first suggestions for places to check out.  Since NH is such a small state, you could actually spend each day touring the cities in daylight, then come back to the campground at night and party! For general camping tips at Rogers, assuming you're actually camping, I love copy/pasting this blurb:

"Lancaster, NH is pretty far north and up in mountain country, and even in late June it can still be a bit chilly sometimes. Things cool down at night significantly. Make sure you have warm socks, boots and sweaters to change into. Also, rain gear is absolutely crucial. Your tent should have seam sealer applied, and a coat of waterproof spray particularly if it's not a new tent. Have extra tarp and rope so you can do your cooking under cover (unless you only plan to use a campfire for cooking.) Have some practice setting your tent up so you're not fumbling, and a tent with a little screened in porch area or overhang is ideal so you're not dripping into your sleeping area and tracking in dirt. A basic rain suit can be had for $20 or so, I made sure to invest in that this year because last Porcfest it rained for most of the week and it sucks walking around getting soaked in a crappy poncho/carrying an umbrella all the time. On the other hand, there's heat considerations, make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, water, and bug spray because who knows what the weather will actually do. I also recommend having an air mattress at the least, if not a cot, unless you've already slept on the ground for extended periods and been fine with it. Last year I had bruises all over my body because I didn't think about sleeping on hard ground for a week in advance.  Basically, it's all about the gear. If you're car-camping, pack as much as you reasonably and comfortably can.
Aside from basic weather considerations, definitely plan on buying at least a few meals from vendors, trust me you will want to. You can get a pretty good variety of stuff and the vendors are great! Plus, I bet you will not feel like making breakfast hungover for yourself every morning. However, you should still plan your meals in advance and have a satisfying menu to shop for when you get there. Bring some source of other entertainment like a frisbee, cards, swimsuit, or music instrument that allows you to interact with other people when maybe the events aren't interesting to you. The more preparation and forethought you put into it, the less you will get distracted by the conditions or have to spend on chores, when you should be focusing on meeting people and having fun! Let me know if you have any other questions or I missed something. I'm happy to give advice so other people don't make my mistakes.

TL;DR: Prepare for any weather condition, could rain all week (like 2011) or be in the 90s all week (like 2012). Gear, gear, gear. Plan on entertaining yourself other ways besides pre-scheduled events. And have fun!"

time4liberty

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:15:46 pm »

Hello! My husband and I are planning on moving to NH to join the FSP by the end of the year.

Hooray! Welcome :)

We've lived in the Cleveland area our whole lives and are pretty overwhelmed trying to make plans and make sure we do things in order. We've decided to let employment pick the area we'll be moving to

That's what my wife and I did.

but we're not quite ready to start putting out resumes. We're really putting a lot of hope in this project! We're about to leave everyone we know to commit to living in a state we've never even visited! We just decided that we're coming to PorcFest 2013 to check things out.

Good idea!

We assume we'll need to make at least 2 trips before we officially move; the tentative plan is if we decide to buy right away we'll make a second trip and if we end up renting we may just do everything online to save money for the move. We're now debating how our time will be best utilized while we're in NH in June. Unfortunately, we won't be able to stay for the entire week due to work restrictions, probably more like 5 days. So I guess what my main questions are: 1, How would you spend your 5 days if you were us? Should we focus most of our time on networking at the campground or should we be more focused on the areas closer to the cities where we'd most likely be living?

That's a difficult question. I will say, though there is still plenty going on earlier in the week, Porcfest sort of ramps up over the week, with the later days being the heaviest attended (excluding Sunday, when people are mostly packing up and leaving). I plan to take three days off work, driving up Tuesday night.

Consider visiting lake winnepesaukee (maybe take a cruise on the Mt. Washington), the seacoast/Portsmouth, maybe take a hike in the white mountains if you like that sort of thing.

The great thing about NH, to me, is that you can live within 20-25 minutes commute of downtown, any city, and be completely in the country. I'm a country guy, so that's my bias.

One question is, are you planning to move first, then look for work, or look for work from Ohio? If you're planning to move into an apartment first, perhaps there's not as much time pressure for you to explore various areas right away.

I'm hoping that we can meet some people who might be able to point us in the right direction for work (my husband currently works in IT & web development)

Well, here's a start:

1000+ information technology related jobs in NH: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Information+technology&l=NH
(you'll find more by just searching IT, but there will be more fluff as well)

500+ web related jobs: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=web&l=NH

Your husband's profession is a very good one for the NH job market.

so networking seemed the most important to me but my husband is more interested in exploring the metro areas. 2, Since I don't think we'll spend our entire time at the fest, which half would you suggest that we make it to? It seems like the highest concentration of people would be there for the second half since it's over the weekend but I'd just like to confirm that with someone who knows for sure.

Thursday morning - Saturday night.

Finally, if anyone has any sort of advice or tips on how you did it or things you wish you had thought of (hindsight), we'd really appreciate any info anyone can give us!

I absolutely think it's wise to start in an apartment, and take your time to explore and get to know the surrounding areas, before buying a house.

Also, the highest concentration of jobs (and population) is in the southeast corner of the state -- in the triangle defined by Nashua, Manchester, and Portsmouth.

Here's one option, in Nashua, re: apartments: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000053702.php

The big advantage here is that it's month-to-month -- no contract. So, you can find a house you want to buy anytime -- you're not stuck with yearlong increments. If you didn't mind getting a contract, there are other, probably nicer options, but it's where we started, and we had a good experience.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:18:20 pm by time4liberty »

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:33:08 pm »

the tentative plan is if we decide to buy right away we'll make a second trip and if we end up renting we may just do everything online to save money for the move.

You may come across a town you fall in love with right away but if you don't you probably should not commit to buy immediately and take your time exploring. As Paul pointed out Nashua Woodlands is a good landing spot as they don't have leases, we also started out there and while its certainly a very average apartment complex you can't beat the month to month lease.

1, How would you spend your 5 days if you were us?

I would take a long day drive up from Boston to Lancaster stopping in a bunch of places and then use Sunday to do the same thing on the way back down (Sunday's at porcfest are relatively quiet). If you get an early morning flight in to Boston and a night flight out this will work perfectly as you wont need to get a hotel room anywhere on the route.

This is the route I would use.

B is south Nashua around where the already mentioned Woodlands apartments are and also where there is a huge density of tech companies (Oracle, Dell, BEA, Intel etc all within half a mile of each other), this is also the densest shopping district in New Hampshire and where the Massholes come to do their tax free shopping. C is where I would stop for breakfast/brunch, walking south from here down the route you drove is Nashua's Main st. which has lots of little stores, bakeries, bars etc. http://www.freenashua.org/ has more suggestions for things to do around Nashua.

D is the start of Manchester's Elm St which contains the bulk of the bars, restaurants etc. There is parking along the street so plenty of opportunities to pull over and have a walk around. E is the restaurant I would stop at for lunch. http://www.freemanch.com/ can offer some more suggestions for things to do.

F is where I would stop for coffee, the state house is a couple of blocks walk north too.

After Concord I have routed you along one of the prettiest drives in the state from Alton to Meredith, plenty of places to stop for pictures and coffee along this route. After this it is a straight shot up to Porcfest. Presuming you started at 8am and you stopped for 90 minutes in each city this would get you to Porcfest at 6pm. If you need even more food then stop at any restaurant in http://www.thecman.com/

On the Sunday after porcfest take the back way down to the state towards the coat. Brunch in Portsmouth, Lobstah lunch in Rye and coffee in Hampton. This route wouldn't take very long and would also have the benefit of giving you the oppertunity to check out all the places you have been told about at Porcfest, you might decide you really really want to visit Exeter or Salem.

I'm hoping that we can meet some people who might be able to point us in the right direction for work (my husband currently works in IT & web development)

Most of us also work in IT and its absurdly easy to find work around these parts. Feel free to stop by Camp Nashua (site 16) to talk to us about opportunities in the Nashua area.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:14:02 pm by greap »

LibertyBell

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 02:12:20 am »

WOW! Thanks so much, I've never had people be so kind and truly informative in a forum before! I'm a bartender and work nights so I'll wait until tomorrow to make a more formal response when I'm more coherent but I just wanted to say thanks for everything!

time4liberty

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:48:09 am »

+1 on that route, greap. Excellently done.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »

+1 on that route, greap. Excellently done.

+2
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

LibertyBell

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »

Thank you so much! We've talked about it and we think we'll stay 2 days and one night in the metro areas (using the routes as suggested and stopping by the apartment complex) and Porc Fest on Friday and Saturday, probably driving home Sunday. I think making plans for the trip has suddenly lit a fire under my husband, Andy. We were planning on waiting until he's done with school to leave to make it easier to find work (he already works in his field, though) but suddenly he's considering moving sooner and taking a lower paying job to just finish school there. He goes to an online school so his location won't matter. Even though it's probably the slightly less responsible decision, it's definitely my preference! I can't get there fast enough! If it were up to me we'd be packing tonight and sleeping in the car until we figured it out  ;) So, I guess indeed is generally the most suggested site to use? He's been looking around a bit but I think he was mainly searching careerbuilder and monster. I could be wrong, he's obviously way more computer-savy than I am lol. I'll mention it just to make sure.

Thanks again everyone!

**Realized after posting that I should've mention we have a lot of pets....I think that apartment complex only allows cats. We have 1 chihuahua, 2 cats and 2 ferrets lol. I think we'll end up having to rent a house, not many corporate buildings allow that many animals. We'd love to know of one if you know any!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:25:12 pm by LibertyBell »

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 01:03:03 pm »

I think the Sunset ridge complex run by Red Oak apts in Manchester allows dogs and cats. With a chihuahua you won't run into as many problems but it will definitely be a little harder for you.

LibertyBell

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 01:43:34 am »

I have a feeling this forum is going to make this move immensely easier....Thanks again!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up