Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porcfest 2013 Campsite Registration Officially Open  (Read 22577 times)

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
Re: Porcfest 2013 Campsite Registration Officially Open
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 05:34:26 am »

There will be day passes.

Hmmm. I was told on the PF Facebook page that there will not be day passes, that  it's $50 or nothing.

I know you're heavily involved in making PF happen, so can you clarify for me? We know several locals who are interested in checking out an event or two, but don't want to pay for a week of conferences and activities that they don't participate in.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22:33 am »

One-day-only passes will be available at the door for ~$30, subject to capacity/availability.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:46:57 am »

You're absolutely right, and I apologize for the mis-statement.

I went back and checked that Facebook conversation, and saw that it was indeed $30 for a day pass. To me, that's the same as "not available".

I still disagree with that price point, charging 60% of the full price for 14% of the content. I understand the intent: encouraging people to pay $50 for the week in order to better fund the speakers and activities. But, the effect is to discourage people who might want to get a taste, or possibly just go to the dance parties. I think $10 a day wouldn't be unreasonable, but $15 for one day or $20 for two would be a good teaser rate.

Yes, I know: if I want to change it, I should be more directly involved ahead of time. And I will be, in the future.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 04:18:39 am »

No apology necessary. I truly understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the fact that you're trying to bring as many people as possible to PorcFest. I personally bring several price-sensitive, liberty-curious guests to PorcFest every year, so I share many of the same concerns.

With that in mind, there were several other factors which the organizers had to consider (some of which aren't readily apparent until you get into the details of planning and marketing an event like this), and the decision was made thoughtfully with the goal of putting on high-quality, well-attended event.

Glad to hear that you plan to be directly involved in the future!
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:41 am »

Rather than the amount, I think it's the proportion that throws me. I'm reminded of movie theater popcorn.  ;)

freedomroad

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

Porcfest is very expensive this year compared to previous years, in general. Though, the day pass does help lesson the blow. Plus, people under 18 are free this year, so that helps some folks. Plus, the famousness of the speakers is at least twice as high this year as ever before.

Maybe in the future, people with a NH ID should get a discount to encourage folks to move to NH? But that might look bad so maybe not.

IMO, Porcfest shouldn't cost more than $50 at the door and a day pass shouldn't cost more than $20, at the most. Of course, I don't run the event so whatever. On the other hand, you don't have to actually pay the Porcfest fees to be on the campground. You just cannot (morally) attend many of the events. It is like how Liberty Forum is free if you just want to go to the vendor room, the FTL studio and talk to people in the halls and lobby.

There is another camping event that is very reasonable. I highly recommend it. It's $25 including full access to the event, 3 nights of camping and even a meal. http://bardoproject.com/events/bardo-fest/

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »

You just cannot (morally) attend many of the events.

Just to be clear: if one wishes to attend any of the PorcFest events, that person will need a ticket, not only morally but because there will be people checking.

I highly recommend people pre-register online before June 1st. There's a reason tickets significantly cost more at the door: the organizers need people to pre-register so they can plan the event! (speakers, equipment rentals, etc) 

Porcfest is very expensive this year compared to previous years, in general. Though, the day pass does help lesson the blow. Plus, people under 18 are free this year, so that helps some folks. Plus, the famousness of the speakers is at least twice as high this year as ever before.

You may not have realized it, but the price has actually gone down. Last year the price was approximately 3-4 bitcoins. Right now, the price is less than half of one bitcoin. If you were under the impression that the price had gone up, you may wish to reconsider your choice of currency ;)

Kidding aside, everyone is entitled to their opinion as far as what things should cost, and I respect that. To me, $50 for a full week of activities seems like a good deal. There are many more early-week events this year (compare Mon-Wed last year to Mon-Wed this year), more big name speakers, more activities in general (there are now 200+ events on the schedule). As far as day passes go, one big improvement: last year, there was an extra $5 facilities fee for anyone not staying at Rogers. This year, no extra fee!

Maybe in the future, people with a NH ID should get a discount to encourage folks to move to NH? But that might look bad so maybe not.

The discount is that we don't have to pay big bucks to get ourselves here, because we already live here   :)   Seriously, I'm always impressed by how many attendees spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on travel to come to PorcFest from across the country and even from other countries. Some of them are well off but others are of modest means and save all year in order to come. I figure if they're willing to do that, year after year, I should probably be happy with how relatively inexpensive it is for me to attend as a local.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:00 pm »

Yeah, the $5 facilities fee -- per person -- was always tough for those not staying at Rogers (which was us, some years). IMO, the cost is pretty reasonable this year and certainly far below what other conventions and conferences typically charge. Too bad I'll be in Spain. :-/
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:23 pm »

It's cheap compared to a typical major SF convention these days.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up