Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Smart" voting?  (Read 6159 times)

LincolnEllis

• I'm a llama!
Re:"Smart" voting?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2003, 11:56:39 am »

I'd argue ranking a state last does exactly what the stubborn and argumentative intend it to:  it assures one the particular state they're arguing against ends up placing lower in the overall standings.  It doesn't help their state win in any way, but once you have a certain level of emotional attachment to an argument it's not about your choice anymore but rather about making sure the other guy doesn't win.  While placing NH dead last instead of 2nd doesn't help Wyoming win it does help NH lose.

That said, I don't think you need to worry about people spitefully voting.  That line of thinking is endemic to message board arguments and the 10 people who follow through with their online threats won't hurt the overall vote.  

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2003, 03:05:55 pm »

How many times do I have to go over this? :P  
Putting your 2nd favorite state last just because you think it might compete with your first state does not help your first state in any way, shape, or form.

Think of the voting system as a round-robin tournament.  If A beats B, C, and D in its 3 games, then it doesn't matter whether B beats C or D.  A still wins.  Changing the result so that B loses to C or D doesn't affect anything, so long as B loses to A.

Please remember this when casting your votes!
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

skypod

• Friend of FSP
  • BADNARIK for President!
    • Skypod.DeadBangGuns.com
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2003, 06:09:33 pm »

Although it's probably too late now, I would suggest that anyone confused visit the Condorcet Voting Method website:
http://www.ElectionMethods.org
Melissa Seaman - Skypod.DeadBangGuns.com
When the extraordinary becomes commonplace, that is a revolution.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2003, 07:22:36 pm »

Thanks Skypod,  I have visited the site many times and finally think I have a reasonable idea how it works!  Takes me longer than many I fear. ???

While I have been as partisan as any during this state debate, and to be honest I am not certain of my 2-10 voting even now.  To those from WY that I have opposed, please know that WY most assuredly will not be in my position number 10.  You have made many points, and made them well.

Know that I am a porcupine first, and will look forward to working with you in the Free State!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything