Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Federal land ownership in Alaska  (Read 1898 times)

Doug R.

• I'm a llama!
Federal land ownership in Alaska
« on: August 18, 2003, 02:50:12 am »

I've been reading a lot about the detriments of extensive land ownership in Alaska.  I can honestly say, that the Federally and State owned lands pose no real concern here.  Federal lands are governed by Alaska fish and game laws.  They are so extensive that they are mostly unmanageable.  

If you're set upon returning Federal lands to private ownership, it won't happen here.  Most Alaskans don't really see the need.  The area is so unbelievably vast that it really doesn't matter who owns the land.  Practicality overrules principle here in Alaska, in more ways than one.

The real culprits when it comes to land ownership are the Native Corporations.  

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
  • My sister was bit by a moose!
    • kbarrett's web page
Re:Federal land ownership in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 12:26:26 pm »

I think the Native Corporations actions are a good argument for not just auctioning the fed and state lands off on ebay.

The members of these corporations can all only agree to one thing ... getting big dividend checks ... so their land gets treated like a strip-mine.

Simply returning to some version of the homestead act would be better. If you want it, then you should bloody well live on it.

--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett
Pages: [1]   Go Up