Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free State Businesses  (Read 4193 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Free State Businesses
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 06:02:03 pm »

Speak with someone, English people speak with their mouths, but speak to someone.

Actually, we do either.  Speaking with implies a fairly-balanced conversation.  Speaking to implies something more like lecturing.

Plus we have three foot pedals in our cars which we drive on the correct side of the road.  ;D

How do you fit pedals that large in your cars?  And shouldn't that be "one meter pedals," anyway?

Actually, I rarely find anyone here in NH who can't drive stick.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
Re: Free State Businesses
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 09:10:50 pm »

Responding to somebody's question, marriage to a US citizen doesn't grant citizenship, it merely grants a Green Card resident permit and sometimes a faster track to citizenship which would still be years down the road.

Some of us are better at handling the variety of English accents than others, but it always helps to speak like the BBC types that are most of what we (and you) hear from your television.  My own complete lack of accent comes from having been born and raised in the heart of American television, Los Angeles.  I did spend several high school years trying to acquire a New Hampshire accent (or something close to it - good teaching aids are the Bert and I comedy records from coastal Maine) but I lose it within a day away and only gain it back after a few hours up there or five minutes on the phone with a customer also in exile (he 30 years, me 40 years, he in Florida, me in New Jersey, both ex-USAF) in which case none of my cow-orkers can understand me for a couple of hours (possibly I extend this longer than some might see necessary).

While my own ancestry is mostly from all over the British Isles, I've never been there though my late wife visited several times and we had a roommate/caretaker for Lisa's father from somewhere near London.  My own contact is rather distant since there seems to be a spread from the 1620s to the 1850s when my known forebears got over here and very few return visits.  (In the case of Dad's Welsh ancestors, there seems to have been more often than not a choice between America now or Australia soon if things went well in court).

By the way, ancestors of mine fought on both sides of the War for American Independence as well as on both sides of the War of Northern Aggression.  Managed to miss the World Wars, but I can produce VA hospital and/or death records on members of my family in almost every undeclared war since Korea to current (none in Grenada or Panama).  (Lisa's family covered the World Wars, mostly in their own blood).

--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up