Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Free State Businesses  (Read 4511 times)

Alasdair

Free State Businesses
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:07:45 pm »

This is the year when I will make my first visit to NH from the UK and I'd like to spend my tourist $ wisely.
Is there a way to identify FSP Member owned businesses?

I'm thinking coffee shops, bars, cafes, bars, tourist attractions, gift shops etc.

I'd also like to do some shooting (which for the most part is banned here) whilst I'm there. Any recommendations for places to do that please?

Many thanks for allowing me to tap your local knowledge.

Alasdair.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Free State Businesses
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:00:36 pm »

Welcome!  :)

I think it is awesome that you are coming all the way from the UK to visit us. Post the dates that you are coming and we will try to make specific suggestions!
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:57 pm »

I'd also like to do some shooting (which for the most part is banned here) whilst I'm there. Any recommendations for places to do that please?

Commercially, Manchester Firing Line & Range is the big name in southern NH.  http://www.gunsnh.com/

Privately, just about anywhere you visit, there are Free Staters who will take you shooting, either at a club or on private or public land.

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:22 pm »

Cool! Whereabouts in the U.K.? I got my master's degree from the University of Buckingham, midway between Milton Keynes and Oxford.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

Alasdair

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 07:34:56 am »

Cool! Whereabouts in the U.K.? I got my master's degree from the University of Buckingham, midway between Milton Keynes and Oxford.

I'm up in the North East, between Durham & Newcastle Upon Tyne.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:03:33 pm »

This is the year when I will make my first visit to NH from the UK

Fellow Brit here.

Is there a way to identify FSP Member owned businesses?

Ask them. In reality I wouldn't fixate on this too much, we are all members of the community after we move and there is nothing special about the FSP owned business other then they might share the same views that you do. No guarantee that they make good coffee or food :)

I'm thinking coffee shops, bars, cafes, bars, tourist attractions, gift shops etc.

If you can try and make it out for Porcfest week in June. If you arrive a few days earlier then you can also explore some areas of the state to see where you like, if you are looking for Boston access for jobs/transport then stick to the SE corner of the state and look at towns like Nashua, Manchester, Concord and Portsmouth. Your best bet on finding cool things to do is to post in the local groups for those areas, there are events all week which will give you the opportunity to mingle and network. Also keep in mind public transport is not an option in most of the state (when it exists its sparse) so you will need a car for your visit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2204983906/doc/10150550837878907/ lists all the local (and other) groups.

That's an option everywhere in the state at any time, my suggestion would be to settle on an itinerary and then ask in the local groups for those areas about upcoming shoots.

Many thanks for allowing me to tap your local knowledge.

To pre-warn you if you have a strong geordie accent some people might have trouble understanding you. I have the most average middle-class London accent around and there are a number of people who don't understand me at all. Also get your fry-up quota in before you come, sausages and bacon here are awful.

Alasdair

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:25 pm »

To pre-warn you if you have a strong geordie accent some people might have trouble understanding you. I have the most average middle-class London accent around and there are a number of people who don't understand me at all. Also get your fry-up quota in before you come, sausages and bacon here are awful.

Why no bonny la'ad. Aye tark propper me like.  ;)

I'm not some Gazza throw back. Used to do radio work for the BBC up and down the country so my accent tends to morph depending upon who I'm talking to.

Just as a matter of interest, how long have you been over there? How did you get on with things like work permits, tax etc.?

Here's a joke nobody will get just for you:

Geordie walks into a pub in the East End of London. Goes up to the bar and says to the barmaid "I'll have a pint please". She duly brings him the glass of beer. Now Geordie's been on the train all day heading down to the Smoke and is feeling a bit peckish. "Have ya got a pie?" he asks.

The barmaid looks a little confused and replies "Pie? Pie? Course you gotta pie! It's not free you know."

There you go, the culture clash of Tyneside meets London.  ;D

Thanks for the reply.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:17:13 pm »

I'm not some Gazza throw back. Used to do radio work for the BBC up and down the country so my accent tends to morph depending upon who I'm talking to.

Good to know, I just thought I would warn you as I thought my accent was the most neutral in the universe yet people still have trouble with it :)

Just as a matter of interest, how long have you been over there?

A year last October.

How did you get on with things like work permits

American wife. Usual disclaimers regarding not being a lawyer but the avenues you should look in to are;

• H1B - Mostly issued to technology workers, on jobsites (strongly recommend indeed.com for your searches) just add H1B to your keywords.
  • E-2 - If you have half a million quid laying around this will get you in within a few weeks.
  • L-1 - Work for a US multinational for a year and then they can transfer you to the US
  • Get married to an American (who knows, maybe you will meet someone at porcfest :))

, tax etc.?

I earn about the same that I did in London with about half the tax rate and about half the cost of living. Credit is also much easier to obtain over here, banks were pretty much falling over themselves to give me credit cards and car loans within a few months of arriving.

There you go, the culture clash of Tyneside meets London.  ;D

Indeed :)

escapist_reborn

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:35 pm »

Geordie walks into a pub in the East End of London. Goes up to the bar and says to the barmaid "I'll have a pint please". She duly brings him the glass of beer. Now Geordie's been on the train all day heading down to the Smoke and is feeling a bit peckish. "Have ya got a pie?" he asks.

The barmaid looks a little confused and replies "Pie? Pie? Course you gotta pie! It's not free you know."

Epic joke mate.  ;D Cheers!

If you do end up moving, please bring IRN BRU. Lots of it. If fact, if you open up a little news shop, and I'm your sole customer, I'll probably be enough to sustain your business.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:29:21 pm »

If you do end up moving, please bring IRN BRU. Lots of it. If fact, if you open up a little news shop, and I'm your sole customer, I'll probably be enough to sustain your business.

Just drive across the river to Scotland By The Yard in Quechee, VT.
Or you can order it by the case from Amazon.com.
Get a free Tshirt by ordering 4 cases from the American distributor http://www.irn-bru-usa.com

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »

http://www.britishaisles.com/ sells it, they are in Greenland. http://www.britishdelights.com/ also sells it, they are just over the border in MA.

Also Lucozade > Irn-Bru
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:53:03 pm by greap »

escapist_reborn

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »

All true, but nothing quite beats popping into the local Londis equivalent and getting a bottle on a whim.

tortuga

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »

Welcome!
Some people will be shocked to learn how tyrannical UK gun laws are:
British government relaxes gun laws on sport ahead of 2012 Olympics

American wife. Usual disclaimers regarding not being a lawyer but the avenues you should look in to are
How did that work? Where did you get married? Who officiated it? How long is it from marriage to citizenship?

peckish
If I hadnt read/watched Hitchhikers Guide, Id have no idea what that word means. Silly Brits! Somewhere I have a book that explains the differences between British and American and how confusing it can get. Here, knocking someone up means impregnantion. There, it means literally or calling (phoning) someone.
Move Date: May 2014! (tentative)

Alasdair

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »

peckish
If I hadnt read/watched Hitchhikers Guide, Id have no idea what that word means. Silly Brits! Somewhere I have a book that explains the differences between British and American and how confusing it can get. Here, knocking someone up means impregnantion. There, it means literally or calling (phoning) someone.

Oh dear play nicely. Remember the language is called English for a reason.  :P

If peckish is a bit odd to you, you'd have absolutely no chance of understanding Geordie, the part of the world where I'm from. You really do need a translation for that.

Off the top of my head, Americans:-

Fill forms out, not in.

Speak with someone, English people speak with their mouths, but speak to someone.

Plus we have three foot pedals in our cars which we drive on the correct side of the road.  ;D

You really mean tom-arrrr-toe when you say tom-ay-toe.

We have courgettes where you have zukini, squash is something we do on a commuter train, but you folk grow the butter nut variety.

Only goalkeepers are allowed to handle the ball in a football match which is played on a pitch not a field, which for some strange reason you call soccer, and our Rugby players never wear helmets or pads.

Now, if you really want some verbal chaos here's some Geordie:

• Pallatic - very drunk
  • Plodge - paddle bare-foot in water, usually the sea
  • Marra - a friend or work colleague
  • Lowp - to jump
  • Hoy Oot - the act of a newly married couple throwing coins for children gathered to see them off in the car
  • Claggy - a sticky suface
  • Clarty - covered in dirt or mud

See what I mean? Completely different language.

escapist_reborn

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:07 pm »

You'll be fine as long as you don't ask people if they're alright (they'll check to see if they're bleeding somewhere) or say that you're pissed when you've had a few drinks (they'll be expecting a beatdown). Although I will say, I rather prefer my three pedals whilst driving, but that's more a function of an agricultural upbringing than Olde World sensibilities.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up