Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: We're buying land!  (Read 4280 times)

shadylady23

We're buying land!
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:50:50 pm »

Not 100% sure we want to make the full move yet.  However we've got an offer on some land and I think we're kinda leaning to move forward with it!!  We live in Mass,  and my biggest concern is they are going to take away our right to have guns.  Ie Protect ourselves.  This is huge for me as I have two young children to think about in addition to myself.  Im hoping NH will somehow be able to avoid these bans because honestly I'm quite concerned that once that happens,  what else are they going to try to do to us!?!?   

I currently own a company here,  which I'm thinking of selling and cashing out.  Photography is my real passion,  I would love to open a studio up there and do portraits for families in addition to my normal landscapes and nature photography.  But who knows! 

Can't wait to find out if our offer gets accepted!! 

Mary  _

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: We're buying land!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »

Welcome!  :)

Since you are so close by, I hope you will be able to come join us next month at Liberty Forum in Nashua, it's an awesome event and a great chance to meet people and learn about New Hampshire.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

Not 100% sure we want to make the full move yet.  However we've got an offer on some land and I think we're kinda leaning to move forward with it!!
Welcome to the FSP Forum! Awesome. I assume you have visited the land and talked to a real estate agent so you know exactly what you are legally able to do with the land. If not, please do before you buy.

We live in Mass,  and my biggest concern is they are going to take away our right to have guns.  Ie Protect ourselves.  This is huge for me as I have two young children to think about in addition to myself.  Im hoping NH will somehow be able to avoid these bans because honestly I'm quite concerned that once that happens,  what else are they going to try to do to us!?!?  
Honestly, I thought you were already not legal allowed to protect yourself in MA. My understanding is that it is very hard and expensive to get government permission to even carry a gun. While away from your home, if you have a gun, I beleive MA doesn't have stand your ground so you have to try to retreat. Also, I don't think MA has the Castle Doctrine so you must try to act passively and evade criminals, even on your property, if possible. Is that not correct?

I currently own a company here,  which I'm thinking of selling and cashing out.  Photography is my real passion,  I would love to open a studio up there and do portraits for families in addition to my normal landscapes and nature photography.  But who knows!
Great. You might even be able to run your MA company while living in NH.

shadylady23

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:21:29 am »

The real estate agent and town states that we okay to build.  Just have to get the plans for septic design and drill a well.  Their is electric at the street,  just not to the house.  Electric company quoted like 5k to put in a pole and get it to the house.  (right now it's just a cabin)   It seems the biggest thing to overcome is the fact that it's on a class 6 road.  Which means the town does not maintain or plow it.  However my husband has a tractor and plow so this is no problem for him since the road is about the length of any normal driveway up here anyways.  The town didn't seem to have any problems building on it though.   It's so different here in MA,  when a lot comes up for sale,  you wonder, "What CAN I do with this land?".  In NH,  the town woman was like,  "well,  it's your land,  and if you can get the trucks in to do the work,  then you can build on it."  We're not accustomed to this at all in MA,  being so many restrictions here.  We're going up again today to spend more time in the local towns,  I saw a beautiful Mill and bridge I want to photograph,  it truely is a different world up there for sure!

As far as carrying in MA., so far you can still carry with a LTC license.  Not for long I'm sure.  They're already pressing bills and not renewing anyone,  then arresting them when they're found to be without license.  People have been waiting over 9 months to get their renewals!  One guys wife just ratted him out because she was mad at him and they're going through a divorce,  now he has a minimum of 10 years because he had and old "illegal" gun from the 30's or something.  Poor guy.  Just waiting for his renewal. 

jsChicago

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »

...the town woman was like,  "well,  it's your land,  and if you can get the trucks in to do the work,  then you can build on it."  We're not accustomed to this at all in MA...

Congrats and I understand your shock. I went through the same thing when I was looking at the possibility of building on some land in Warsaw, KY. I kept grilling the woman about zoning and whether I needed actual architectural drawings and I didn't believe her when she said none of that was necessary. Finally, she got fed up and told me - as far as she  ( or the county ) were concerned - I could bring in a drawing of my house plans on the back of a cocktail napkin.

I guess I've gotten so use to gov't red tape and interference that I'm confused when it's not there anymore. Oh well, sure was nice!!!

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »

Story I heard from an early mover:

Newcomer:  Can you tell me how many building permits the town issued last year?

Town clerk:  Zero

Newcomer:  What?  Nobody built anything in town last year?

Town clerk:  Lots of people built stuff last year, but we don't need any stinking permits!

shadylady23

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:38:53 pm »

Haha!  That's awesome!  I totally can see them doing that!    We went up there today,  sure was beautiful.   Got some nice pics,  I'll see if I can load one.

daninreallife1980

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:45:38 am »

Check this out!  Wyoming may be the only state that tries to stand up to the federal government.  Wyoming may not be the freest state, but when it comes to gun rights people around here arent messing around.  They have drawn the line in the sand.  I just fear that they will back down due to the bribes and threats of the federal government. 

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/10/Wyoming-Lawmakers-To-Federal-Gun-Grabbers-Don-t-Tread-On-Us

sako

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:37:25 am »

Check this out!  Wyoming may be the only state that tries to stand up to the federal government.  Wyoming may not be the freest state, but when it comes to gun rights people around here arent messing around.  They have drawn the line in the sand.  I just fear that they will back down due to the bribes and threats of the federal government. 

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/10/Wyoming-Lawmakers-To-Federal-Gun-Grabbers-Don-t-Tread-On-Us

NH should be doing this as well!

shadylady23

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:21 am »

Yes they should.  We need to spread this!  There's a meeting coming up for everyone.  Maybe I can get my husband to go.  He's a super awesome group speaker and actually won an award for it.  haha!  Maybe he can rally up to get people on board. 

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 11:43:36 am »

Not going to waste our time.

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »

"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

sako

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:08 am »

Feinstein will never give up until she retires.

time4liberty

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:22 am »

Story I heard from an early mover:

Newcomer:  Can you tell me how many building permits the town issued last year?

Town clerk:  Zero

Newcomer:  What?  Nobody built anything in town last year?

Town clerk:  Lots of people built stuff last year, but we don't need any stinking permits!

Awesome :D

shadylady23

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 08:57:58 am »

Offer Accepted!  I think I'm going to go up and look at the area schools for the kiddos.  Does anyone know if they have school choice up there?   Our current elementary school is rated very highly in our area and I'm concerned that the elementary schools up there may not be up to par.  The land under contract is in Allstead,  does anyone have any inside information or experience with any elementary schools nearby?  AGain,  is there school choice to give me options if I'm not happy with the local school? 

Thanks for your input!

Mary
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up