Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Barrier to Entry in New Hampshire  (Read 15552 times)

plasma1010

Re: Barrier to Entry in New Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 01:11:39 pm »

To give you an idea, I know people paying rent of under $250 a month in NH. I know people paying rent of under $300 a month in NH. I know people paying rent of under $350 in NH. It really isn't that hard. It depends on where you are willing to live, how hard you try to find cheap rent and how you are willing to live and who you know.

I saw a 2 bedroom, 1 story home for rent for $600 a month, but was a little too far from where I will be.

freedomroad

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:58 pm »

Every state has various sales and excise taxes. NH's happen to be near the lowest in the US. This is unrelated to your pay. For example, NH has no general sales tax. NH doesn't tax liquor. NH doesn't tax cigars. NH has the lowest taxes in New England on smoke, gas and beer. There is also property taxes to consider. While property taxes might be a little higher in NH than VT/MA/CT, rent itself isn't much higher and in many case, it quite a bit lower. So, if you are renting and comparing NH to other New England states, property taxes are only a minor consideration, at best. Also, income tax comes out of your check, whether you make $20,000 or $50,000. Of course, not so in NH.

Yeah, I had no idea about the Sales Taxes before this thread. I imagine that, combined with State/Local income tax, does make quite a good difference assuming people do not charge more for merchandise accordingly. I'm not really comparing NH to the rest of New England, as I'm from Ohio but I can see how regionally it's better. Nationally it does seem somewhat average, although a little surprising.

Some goods are priced even less, not more, in the areas near the MA/NH border. For example, cigarettes and beer are often less expensive near the MA border than in most of NH. You see this on cigarette prices in Salem. This store in rural NH is a good example. http://countrymilenh.com/ Also, Market Basket, a MA based grocery store, has lower alcohol prices in the NH stores than in the MA stores, even without sales taxes figured in.

Really? That's amazing. Where do people find rent for this cheap? I'm very interested in seeing this. Everything I've seen is at least $600/month for a 1-bedroom and $900/month for a 2-bedroom. I have seen *some* places that are slightly cheaper but I've also seen many more places which are significantly more expensive ($1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment isn't uncommon)

Did you go through the resources I pointed out to you? If you are just looking in the papers, on craigs list and roommates.com, the prices will mostly be a little higher than I pointed out. However, once you get to know folks in NH, know where to check and are willing to put in the work, you can often find less expensive places. Keep in mind, I'm talking about renting 1-2 bedrooms in a house or apartment, not renting a house or apartment.

GregSarnowski

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:58 pm »

Really? That's amazing. Where do people find rent for this cheap? I'm very interested in seeing this. Everything I've seen is at least $600/month for a 1-bedroom and $900/month for a 2-bedroom. I have seen *some* places that are slightly cheaper but I've also seen many more places which are significantly more expensive ($1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment isn't uncommon)

http://nh.craigslist.org/roo/ is a good place to start. I don't see much on there at the moment but I a came across a room in Concord for $200/mo plus utilities last week, and I regularly see all-inclusive rooms in populated areas (manchester, keene, portsmouth, etc.) listed for $400/mo. Of course living with random people is not for everyone, it probably helps to be young and single.

kurtis

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 01:35:16 pm »

That explains the prices! I was under the impression people were finding whole apartments for that price range. Makes a whole lot more sense. And just as Greg pointed out, definitely helps to be single. I don't think I'd rent a room from a stranger with my son. More for the stranger's sake ;) haha

I have looked through some of the resources listed quite a bit. After seeing prices on various apartment sites, craigslist, etc... I was beginning to wonder how people were making it work. I didn't realize many were open to renting out rooms in other people's houses. It would be great to find a place for that cheap, though!

freedomroad

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:47 pm »

I have looked through some of the resources listed quite a bit. After seeing prices on various apartment sites, craigslist, etc... I was beginning to wonder how people were making it work. I didn't realize many were open to renting out rooms in other people's houses. It would be great to find a place for that cheap, though!

After you have been here a while and get to know people, you learn about openings at homes and apartments controlled by liberty folks. There are sometimes posted on various forums, sometimes on Facebook groups and sometimes found on PorcManor. I've lived in NH years and I've always rented by liberty folks. I've never with dogs, cats and children. Never had a major issue the whole time. In fact, the worst roommates I've ever had were none liberty folks in the military and even they weren't terrible roommates.

plasma1010

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »

My problem is not being up there yet and being really delayed researching the different small towns in relation to where I am going to be in Canterbury.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 03:14:37 pm »

How far from Cantebury do you wish to be?

plasma1010

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »

How far from Cantebury do you wish to be?

Half hour at most, preferably rural living.

tortuga

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 09:26:03 pm »

Ive read that NH is succumbing to the recession like everywhere else, altho not as badly. Look around, save up before you go, and take a lesser job until you can get settled.

My plan is to save several thousand dollars in FRNs and silver, then get a cheap apartment somewhere in NH, find a job that gets me started, and then look further. I am a good saver, so I should be able to pay rent, food, utilities, and still save, even on $7.25 an hour, which is $1160. I can live on that and save at least $100 a month easily. I also may have some self-employment that could be transferred up there easily.

You're very optimistic! haha. I think you can definitely do it if you put your mind to it, though. I'm not quite sure about surviving on roughly $1,000 per month after taxes. The reason I say this is because most apartments I've seen, alone, are at least $600 per month for a one bedroom. Then you have to include utilities, the option to eat, and transportation. I suppose it is possible but looking from out of state it's looking extremely tight. Maybe I've just been looking at apartments in the wrong areas?
I had an apartment in NJ, one room, shared bathroom and kitchen, for $725. $450 each with a roommate. You cut corners and make sacrifices until you can get what you want.

Roommates.
Move Date: May 2014! (tentative)

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:14 am »

I think a lot of the other potential states the FSP could have picked would've been WAY worse. Who was ever really going to move to Alaska, for instance??? And WY might be cheap but it's also isolated from everything. I have a friend who was living in NH, but had a job offer in WY that was too good to pass up. He's been there for maybe 6 months now and wants to move back a lot...it may be cheap but there isn't much to do and the weather sucks, not that NH is like an entertainment paradise but it definitely beats out the Midwest.
For me the prices for things in NH are roughly the same, coming from PA. I second others, being here physically will help you find better deals...I scouted out my apt in person and I always recommend others do the same, no matter where they are.

freedomroad

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 09:42:27 pm »

I think a lot of the other potential states the FSP could have picked would've been WAY worse. Who was ever really going to move to Alaska, for instance??? And WY might be cheap but it's also isolated from everything. I have a friend who was living in NH, but had a job offer in WY that was too good to pass up. He's been there for maybe 6 months now and wants to move back a lot...it may be cheap but there isn't much to do and the weather sucks, not that NH is like an entertainment paradise but it definitely beats out the Midwest.
For me the prices for things in NH are roughly the same, coming from PA. I second others, being here physically will help you find better deals...I scouted out my apt in person and I always recommend others do the same, no matter where they are.

WY isn't cheap, not at all. Of the 10 states seriously considered, NH was the freest, had the 2nd best job market in the area, had the 3rd least bad weather, had the 2nd most amount of entertainment options and was the most welcoming to us.

matsukez

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 01:29:07 am »

This has been an extremely helpful thread for me to read! The input from everyone has been great!

matsukez

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 12:14:17 am »

After you have been here a while and get to know people, you learn about openings at homes and apartments controlled by liberty folks. There are sometimes posted on various forums, sometimes on Facebook groups and sometimes found on PorcManor. I've lived in NH years and I've always rented by liberty folks. I've never with dogs, cats and children. Never had a major issue the whole time. In fact, the worst roommates I've ever had were none liberty folks in the military and even they weren't terrible roommates.

I've joined some of the Facebook groups and looked at Porcmanor.  Is this the best way to find some liberty people that are looking for roomates that may have a place already and are looking for a roommate or are looking to get a place? Any other resources for connecting with other Free Staters?

freedomroad

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »

matsukez

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:35 pm »

Any other resources for connecting with other Free Staters?

Here you go. http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/Housing.php
Another option here http://forum.shiresociety.com/index.php?board=6.0

Thank you very much!  These are very helpful!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up