Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Scotland  (Read 5029 times)

Michelle Therese

Re: Hello from Scotland
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:50 am »

How do you even *begin* to explain British sausage?!  ;D But you've given me a great idea: research exactly what it is that makes British sausage so... British. Then try and carry that with us across the pond!

Do you have PG Tips available in NH?

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 10:33:12 am »

How do you even *begin* to explain British sausage?! 

Incredibly delicious is how I do it :) I was half thinking about doing a bacon & sausage stand for next Porcfest with the obligatory brown sauce :)

Do you have PG Tips available in NH?

Yes, its available from "British stores" (http://www.britishaisles.com/ is the one in NH I use) as well as the "Irish" section in Market Basket which is one of the big NH supermarket chains. There are also tea stores selling good quality black & greens all over the place, cafes serving them (we just had one at PF too, it also was doing a low tea and scones too but didn't have time to sample beyond the tea) as well as some good tea rooms. http://www.thecozyteacart.com/ is the best tea room I have found so far and http://www.thebirchwoodinn.com/londontavern.html is a British restaurant run by a British couple which does good food (sausages are better then elsewhere but still not enough fat content).

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 02:29:01 pm »

Those are not "real" sausages in the same way flavored tea is not "real" tea :) Also they use lean meat which is part of the problem, you want a fat heavy meat to bring out flavor and so it doesn't dry out while cooking. I have to date found two butchers this side of the country which do real sausages but both are in NYC, i'm looking for the meat to have a fat content of around 25%.

I was referring to them more for bacon than sausage.

And, as I said, "among others."  Small farms that do their own sausage can certainly make you whatever you're seeking.  They just don't typically have websites.  Go to a farmers' market, find someone selling sausage, and ask if they make their own or use a butcher.  If they do their own, they can probably do custom orders.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

time4liberty

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:54 am »

No offense to the British, but Swiss sausage is superior. Just sayin'  ;D

Michelle Therese

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 03:53:00 pm »

All sausage "across the Pond" is awesome!!  ;D

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:54 pm »

Quote from: Terry Pratchett "The Fifth Elephant"

Vimes cut into a sausage and stared. "What is in these? All this... pink stuff?" he demanded.

"Er, that"s meat, your grace," said Inigo, on the other side of the table.

"Well, where"s the texture? Where"s the white bits and the yellow bits and those green bits you always hope are herbs?"

"To a connoisseur here, your grace, an Ankh-Morpork sausage would not be considered a sausage, mmph, mmhm."

"Oh, really? So what would he call it?"

"A loaf, your grace. Or possibly a log. Here, a butcher can be hanged if his sausages are not all meat, and at that it must be from a named domesticated animal, and I perhaps should add that by named I do not mean that it should have been called "Spot" or "Ginger", mmm mmhm. I"m sure that if your grace would prefer the more genuine Ankh-Morpork taste, Igor could make up some side dishes of stale bread and sawdust."

I've never visited Europe, never had what people use for food there.  In fact, all the reports I've had concerning cuisine in the British Isles have been "not interesting" to a man whose taste buds were forged near the barrios of Los Angeles.  Described as bland like the New England cuisine my grandmother in Laconia did spectacularly (but while she called the flavor "subtle", as a teen to me it was bland).  My last ancestors from Britain came over in the 1850s from Wales, the ones from Scotland had been here for two centuries by then.  I'd love to try real sausage from real Brit recipes from either side of Hadrian's Wall.  Since the chance of me visiting Britain while the TSA exists are rather slim.

My chili business starting next year when I move will involve a lot of beef (also pork, lamb or if I can get it mutton instead of lamb), and as much as I can I want to source locally.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Michelle Therese

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:38 am »

Er... yeah. The food of the Isles. This has been an interesting experience for me, especially in Scotland where Oats reign supreme and tremendously-overcooked roasts drowned in the remaining grease (with a hint of cornflour to make it into "gravy" thrown in) is desired daily by the Scottish Side of this family tree. But after 8 years, and the loss of one gallbladder, and the gaining of enormous amounts of weight, I've FINALLY managed to convince my Better Half that white meat without thickened grease is actually quite tasty! One problem remains: the sausages are 50% grease (and still cooked in "gravy") and the roast chicken must be roasted while immersed in its own grease + the resulting "gravy" slathered on afterwards.

I'm thrilled to be returning to America with my Scottish husband. Not only will I shed a few pounds but my kids will stay healthy and none of us will drop from a grease-induced heart attack! I will miss a lot about Scotland but I am not going to miss the grease!!

time4liberty

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 07:40:50 am »

All sausage "across the Pond" is awesome!!  ;D

True that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up