Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annie Kuster Calls For Assault Weapons Ban  (Read 7723 times)

anon37268573

• First1000
Annie Kuster Calls For Assault Weapons Ban
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:25:34 pm »

“Like most Americans, I believe we can and must respect the Second Amendment while also doing more to protect our children, our families, and our communities,” Kuster said in a statement. “I am eager to partner with law enforcement and members of Congress to pursue common sense reforms that keep guns out of the wrong hands, rid our streets of assault weapons, and keep our communities safe.”  - Annie Kuster

And, Sen. Jeanne Shaheen showing an absolutely profound level of ignorance regarding the US Constitution and US history thinks the 2nd Amendment Right to bear arms is only about hunting:

Speaking Monday at a business event at Polartec in Hudson, U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, the state’s senior senator, called for Congress to once again consider a ban on assault weapons.

“I do think we do need a comprehensive response to this tragedy that looks at weapons,” Shaheen, a Madbury Democrat, said as she toured the Hudson business. “We need to ask whether people hunting need assault weapons.” - Jeanne Shaheen

From the Nashua Telegraph:
NH’s senators, incoming reps, governor call for review
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/statenewengland/987735-469/nhs-senators-incoming-reps-governor-call-for.html

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Annie Kuster Calls For Assault Weapons Ban
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »

She's going to frame it that way... as it protects her politically from hunters that might have concerns.

BDJ

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

She's going to frame it that way... as it protects her politically from hunters that might have concerns.

Anyone who believes the lies and votes for her again is a fool.

kenlee101st

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »

Well I would say yes, you are correct in that question on whether hunters need assault weapons, but the media needs to ask her if hunting is the only valid purpose for the second amendment and the answer is a resounding no.  Thank you very much and go away is what I would tell her.  Starting a conservative blog soon on this.  Need a snazzy name for it so any input would be great  ;D

Sam Adams

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:49:06 pm »

What really is a so called assault weapon, any semi-auto? Real assault weapons are military machine guns, automatics. Now are semi auto pistols considered assault weapons. I see a definiion is a few or three of the following are considered assault rifles, collapsing stocks, high cap mags, flame suppressor, pistol grip. These are no different than a simple semi-auto rifle, except the harding of the steel barrel, or extra rifling. I think a assault weapon ban bill would be totally different than the last one. It will inlude a registration of existing ownership, incude all semi-auto pistols and rifles and of course a tax and maybe even testing and license. Why not require trigger locks and gun safes and psyo testing every year?

kenlee101st

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

Anti-gun proponents are not restricted nor confine to using technical details of fire arms to sell their ideas.  In the market place of ideas, it is far more convenient to redefine the subject to something that will sway the people in the middle.  The word assault is perfect; it brings to mind the term “assault” which is a crime.  To be honest I don’t think the public at large really cares if the AR-15 meets the strict definition of an assault rifle, and I don’t believe that gun owners should try and downplay its significance or its appeal as an effective weapon. We need to sell the point that we as citizens value the AR-15 for the exact same reason that the police do.
They can call the AR-15 and assault rifle but I will not allow them to flat out lie as to its purpose.  AR-15 are not "weapons of mass slaughter".  To deem them so disparages the dignity of our first responders and the military.  A police officer with an AR-15 is not going to "mass slaughter" anyone so why should we call it that.  It is a tool for peace, which maybe co-opted by evil or mentally insane to full fill their own misaligned agendas.  If AR 15s are so bad, with so many more people purchased then the numbers should be astronomically proportional, violence to gun sales ratio.  It is not, and to link the two is disingenuous.

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:06:41 pm »

It just goes to show that Anne Kuster has no idea what she is talking about. The federal government took care of assault weapons in 1934. The issue is long since resolved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

NFA items may also be transferred to corporations (or other legal entities such as a trust). When the paperwork to request transfer of an NFA item is initiated by an officer of a corporation, a signature from local law enforcement is not required, and fingerprint cards and photographs do not need to be submitted with the transfer request. Therefore, an individual who lives in a location where the chief law enforcement officer will not sign a transfer form can still own an NFA item if he or she owns a corporation. This method has downsides, since it is the corporation (and not the principal) that owns the firearm. Thus, if the corporation ever dissolves, it must transfer its NFA firearms to the owners. This event would be considered a new transfer and would be subject to a new transfer tax.
US National Firearms Act Stamp, affixed to transfer forms to indicate tax paid.

The tax for privately manufacturing any NFA firearm (other than machineguns, which are generally illegal to manufacture) is $200. Transferring requires a $200 tax for all NFA firearms except AOW's, for which the transfer tax is $5 (although the manufacturing tax remains $200).

Dealers who pay a special yearly occupational tax are exempt from these taxes for transfers to or from other special occupational taxpayers (SOT's). Only a Class 2 manufacturer can “make and register” a machine gun—and that gun becomes a Post May-19th, 1986 Gun—salable only to police, State, local, Federal-Government, and the military. Low volume Class 2 manufacturers (those with sales under $500,000.00) pay the $500.00 per year SOT tax, while high sales volume Class 2’s pay the full $1,000.00 SOT “ticket” price.

Transferable machine guns made or registered before May-19th 1986 are worth far more than their original, pre-1986 value. And items like registered “auto-sears,” “lightning-links,” trigger-packs, trunnions, and other “combination of parts” registered as machineguns before the aforementioned date are often worth nearly as much as a full registered machine gun. For instance, as of September 2008, a transferable M16 rifle costs approximately $11,000 to $18,000, while a transferable "lightning-link" for the AR-15 can sell for $8,000 to $10,000. New manufacture M-16s sell to law enforcement and the military for around $600 to $1000.

The registration or transfer process (to an individual or corporation) takes approximately 3–6 months to complete as of October 2011. Additionally, the firearm can never be handled or transported by any other private individual unless the firearm's registered owner is present. Corporations which own NFA firearms can loan them to any employee of the corporation with a letter of permission on the corporate letterhead. NFA items owned by trusts may be legally possessed by any trustee (i.e., if a husband and wife are both trustees, either of them may use and transport the firearm without the other present).

Upon the request of any ATF agent or investigator, or the Attorney General, the registered owner must provide proof of registration of the firearm.[15]

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »

Anti-gun proponents are not restricted nor confine to using technical details of fire arms to sell their ideas.  In the market place of ideas, it is far more convenient to redefine the subject to something that will sway the people in the middle.  The word assault is perfect; it brings to mind the term “assault” which is a crime.  To be honest I don’t think the public at large really cares if the AR-15 meets the strict definition of an assault rifle, and I don’t believe that gun owners should try and downplay its significance or its appeal as an effective weapon. We need to sell the point that we as citizens value the AR-15 for the exact same reason that the police do.
They can call the AR-15 and assault rifle but I will not allow them to flat out lie as to its purpose.  AR-15 are not "weapons of mass slaughter".  To deem them so disparages the dignity of our first responders and the military.  A police officer with an AR-15 is not going to "mass slaughter" anyone so why should we call it that.  It is a tool for peace, which maybe co-opted by evil or mentally insane to full fill their own misaligned agendas.  If AR 15s are so bad, with so many more people purchased then the numbers should be astronomically proportional, violence to gun sales ratio.  It is not, and to link the two is disingenuous.

I think you're right that it really is about the language we use. People would be a lot less interested in banning a "Home Protection" or "Sporting" rifle. I've heard people try and re-brand assault rifles as "modern rifles". I'm not sure that will catch on, though.

I think we'll wind up with something that prohibits the sale of clips containing more than 12 rounds, short barrel lengths, and collapsible stocks. Pretty much just the re-establishment of the old ban. The old ban had little effect on crime and mass killings. We might get a trigger lock requirement, too. Fox actually had a pundit on saying trigger locks could have prevented the tragedy. I mean, come one? You supposedly have a genius IQ, are about to kill your own mother (the gun owner), and are about to kill a class room full of kids, and then kill yourself. But, you come across a trigger lock and that's going to stop you cold in your tracks?  You're not going to be able to find the key, remove it, or drill/break it off? I think there was a removable trigger guard piece below the trigger on the AR15 model he used. Just remove the lower trigger guard and the trigger lock probably could have been slid right off.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 03:07:16 am by anon37268573 »

kenlee101st

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »

I don't think you are giving her enough credit.  She knows exactly what she is talking about.  She isn't concerned with the truth or technicalities of what an assault weapon is.  To her it is a useful phrase to sell gun control.  Imagine yourself in a hostile anti-gun rally.  You try to explain that the AR-15 isn't "technically" an assault rifle.  They are going to look at you like your a weirdo or worse a "gun nut".  She is pandering to the crowd.

The anti-gun crowd is great at twisting words.  

If I had my way, "tactical rifle" would be the way to go.  

It is a rifle we can customize to make it more usable for recreation shooters to shoot comfortable while adding on practical safety mechanism such as a flash light to minimize collateral damage so innocent people won't get hurt.  Optical attachments give precision aiming and discourages spray and pray tactics favored by untrained marksmen.  Everything we attach to these "tactical rifles" is to encourage the safety of the shooter and his family, optimizing situational awareness for civilians shooters who are not law enforcement or military personnel.  Recognizing that civilians are not put in these stressful situations every day, we are trying to make a safe practical rifle for home defense to dissuade home invaders or other mass killing incidents.

How much more benign and user friendly is that than.   I like my guns with big ass lasers cause I want that darn crackhead to pee his pants when he comes through mah door.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:18:55 pm by kenlee101st »

plasma1010

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »

So how far do people think this will run in NH ?

I mean, Obama can use an executive order to ban all types of guns. Not that it is legal if he does, but he can still do it.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:55:36 pm »

So how far do people think this will run in NH ?

I mean, Obama can use an executive order to ban all types of guns. Not that it is legal if he does, but he can still do it.

I think he'll just bring back the 1994 ban on new sales with out a sun set date.  That will be nearly impossible to ever
overturn. So, if people want something they should buy it now.

If they actually try for a full ban rather than just a sales ban, I think NH could get a law passed allowing them (like the
1986 in state machine gun laws). I don't think they'll even try for that, though. The 1994 ban contributed to Clinton
losing the House. And, I think Obama is pretty sensitive about losing seats since he has been able to accomplish
almost nothing as president and the things he has accomplished (Obama Care) will likely be gone shortly after he
finally is in 4 years.

What happens in NH of course really depends on what the state representatives do. We desperately need more people
to run and get elected both on the Democrat and Republican side (and to vote and contribute money to people that do)
if the FSP is going to have any real success. There are far too few movers involved in state level politics, right now.

I'd love to see the guy 3D printing the AR15 speak at Porc Fest. I'd love to recruit him to be a mover. He's a law school
student... where will he go when he graduates?

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 01:57:58 pm »

Apparently, in the national news about the NY firefighter shooting an AR15 is called an "assault rifle" when a civilian has it and a "duty rifle" when a police office does.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 02:01:19 pm »

AR-15 are not "weapons of mass slaughter".  To deem them so disparages the dignity of our first responders and the military.  A police officer with an AR-15 is not going to "mass slaughter" anyone so why should we call it that.

Actually, he very well might.

The only violent crime committed by a lawfully-owned assault weapon (ie, an actual NFA-registered machinegun) was by a cop.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Sam Adams

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 05:31:24 pm »

Apparently, in the national news about the NY firefighter shooting an AR15 is called an "assault rifle" when a civilian has it and a "duty rifle" when a police office does.
                              I don,t like being called a  civilian. This means that law enforcement who uses the term consider themselves Military. Posse Comitatus is the law of the land, unless the Patriot Act or HLS changed that. Any official [public servant] using that term should be terminated[fired i mean] and prosectuted for Tyranny against the State.

D. Dominguez

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »

I don't think you are giving her enough credit.  She knows exactly what she is talking about.  She isn't concerned with the truth or technicalities of what an assault weapon is.  To her it is a useful phrase to sell gun control.  Imagine yourself in a hostile anti-gun rally.  You try to explain that the AR-15 isn't "technically" an assault rifle.  They are going to look at you like your a weirdo or worse a "gun nut".  She is pandering to the crowd.

The anti-gun crowd is great at twisting words.  

It is a rifle we can customize to make it more usable for recreation shooters to shoot comfortable while adding on practical safety mechanism such as a flash light to minimize collateral damage so innocent people won't get hurt.  Optical attachments give precision aiming and discourages spray and pray tactics favored by untrained marksmen.  Everything we attach to these "tactical rifles" is to encourage the safety of the shooter and his family, optimizing situational awareness for civilians shooters who are not law enforcement or military personnel.  Recognizing that civilians are not put in these stressful situations every day, we are trying to make a safe practical rifle for home defense to dissuade home invaders or other mass killing incidents.

How much more benign and user friendly is that than.   I like my guns with big ass lasers cause I want that darn crackhead to pee his pants when he comes through mah door.

Yest kenlee101st you are quite right. You should give her more credits for the fact. There much more people out there to lit the fire on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up