Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Report: New Hampshire  (Read 8081 times)

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
Re:New Report: New Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2002, 06:06:11 am »

That's an excellent point. Also how much of the land is actually usable. Some of the big Western states LOOK like they have a lot of land, but, it's often Federal land, or, unusable (desert, range land etc). I assume there are maps somewhere which indicate what land is "private" and therefore possibly up for sale; I don't know how to determine if land is liveable without first hand knowledge. 1 acre if arable land is worth a lot more than 1000 acres of non arable land:-)

AMEN

Mega Joule

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2002, 05:10:59 am »

DH is an engineer, and I know they love numbers, so here are some for you.  We have 20,000 individuals coming into a state over, say, a five-year period.  

Something to consider in future calculations...
I've been saying on other threads that we need to keep in mind that if we reach 20,000 and start moving, the moving process is to take no longer than five years.  I believe that unless we stop signing up new members we will far exceed 20,000 by the time the five year move is complete.  The attraction, if we are even marginally successful, will bring still more new residents into the choosen state in the first few years.  My point is that we need room to grow.

Just food for thought. :)

Meg
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

mikegags

• FSP Participant
  • Just waitin' for the Revolution to start...
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2002, 12:42:46 pm »

Understood on the need for room to grow.

So how much room does a person need?

Also, wouldn't the kind of land matter too, if not more?
(Millions of acres of dry soil isn't good for very much unless a nearby
river or well is available for irrigation and drinking, right?)

(Yes, I am ignorant - I'm an engineer, not a farmer!)

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will.  But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."

Thomas Jefferson

freedomroad

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2002, 02:59:13 am »

DH is an engineer, and I know they love numbers, so here are some for you.  We have 20,000 individuals coming into a state over, say, a five-year period.  

Something to consider in future calculations...
I've been saying on other threads that we need to keep in mind that if we reach 20,000 and start moving, the moving process is to take no longer than five years.  I believe that unless we stop signing up new members we will far exceed 20,000 by the time the five year move is complete.  The attraction, if we are even marginally successful, will bring still more new residents into the choosen state in the first few years.  My point is that we need room to grow.

Just food for thought. :)

Meg

As soon as the state is picked some people will start to move in.  As we move in some people might even more out.  As we gain more and more power others might move out.  All of the states except DE have plenty of land.  All of the Western states have cheap land.  MT and WY are located next to several other FSP states so if worse came to worse and 50,000 people moved (that is a good thing) those states are in the best location for the spill-over to go to other FSP states.  

DE, ID, NH, and WY are closest to major job markets.  If you need a high paid job these are likely your best states.  If a ton of people moved these would be the best states for jobs.  Of course, economics shows that if people move to an area with low regulation (like WY) jobs will come.  More people means more goods and services are needed which means more jobs are created.  WY might not have 50,000 expected new jobs put it is near major cities in 4 other states.  Billings, MT, Rapid City, SD, Salt Lake City, UT, and two cities in CO (Ft. Collins, Greerly) are close.  

Denver is the largest town near any of the Western states.  Maybe a couple FSP members who only need to work 3-4 days a week could either share a place in WY and one in CO or both.  Lots of companies offer 4 ten hour days a week.  Some people could work in the city for the week and enjoy the Western life of WY during the weekends.  Others could work in the country during the week (WY) and enjoy the city life (Denver) during the weekend.  CO does have a large LP so maybe some of the CO LP members could help us out and maybe we could help them.

When it comes to open spaces and amount of none government owned land MT, WY, ME, and AK are all very good.  All of these states have the land to handle 50,000 more people.  NH, and DE are expensive when it comes to property so that could be a problem.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up