Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do Free Staters feel about Republicans?  (Read 12376 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: How do Free Staters feel about Republicans?
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:17 am »

It wasn't as easy this time to vote party line as before, you actually had to work your way down the column.
And Ovide fell into the same trap as Romney.

BDJ

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:29 am »

The statement "There are extremely few decent Republicans and no decent Democrats" is one that is often used and not far from the truth. I cannot recall a Democrat in the last 20 years that didn't have wealth redistribution as their core value. I've been told there are some in NH and hopefully that is true but I find it difficult to imagine how any person that is respectful of liberty could become a Democrat. The Republicans occasionally talked about some of the right things but the party never really acted on them and has abandoned those values but if you decided that a major party was the only real option due to party line voters, R was the only option.

Hell, even the LP with Johnson is removed from real liberty since Johnson refuses to let go of the "Fair Tax" and I hear him say things like "Obama says all the right things but doesn't do them" and I have to throw up in my mouth a little. We're so far removed from actual freedom it is mind boggling.

To be honest, most of us probably have the ingraned left/right pieces dangling even though we know better. Virtually all Republicans are as opposed to Liberty as Democrats but hearing the Democrat numbers for NH really got to me. My biggest fear in moving to NH is the influence of massholes. The idea that I'm debating moving near a state that could jail you for having a spent casing in your vehicle is haunting me since I already feel totally violated living close to CA.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 10:47:54 am »

Johnson is aware of both the LPs focus on the Constitution; and the reality of the Union's need to pay its bills/debts.
I don't think he had a firm grasp of the Fair Tax proposal, although I'm sure some economists supporting it spent time with him.

Republicans took a hit for various reasons that are pretty easily determined when looked at.

time4liberty

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 11:35:11 am »

The statement "There are extremely few decent Republicans and no decent Democrats" is one that is often used and not far from the truth. I cannot recall a Democrat in the last 20 years that didn't have wealth redistribution as their core value. I've been told there are some in NH and hopefully that is true but I find it difficult to imagine how any person that is respectful of liberty could become a Democrat. The Republicans occasionally talked about some of the right things but the party never really acted on them and has abandoned those values but if you decided that a major party was the only real option due to party line voters, R was the only option.

Let me assure you that the handful of pro-liberty democrats really and truly are pro-liberty.

If you live in a district that's majority democrat, running as a democrat is the only way to get elected. It's what I would do if I lived in such a district.

I really don't place much value in party labels, personally, though it's true that at the state level there are more pro-liberty Rs than Ds.

BDJ

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 11:45:46 am »

Johnson is aware of both the LPs focus on the Constitution; and the reality of the Union's need to pay its bills/debts.
I don't think he had a firm grasp of the Fair Tax proposal, although I'm sure some economists supporting it spent time with him.

I see Johnson as not really having the message down. He constantly tries to appease instead of speaking on real principal. He's not a bad guy but when I see him, I don't see a real libertarian, I see a Republican that really leans libertarian. What gets me about him is that he doesn't say "X is the goal" and this is a step, he waters it down. His voting record and background is pretty good but I just don't see half measures getting things done. Either you believe that the items listed in A1, S8 are the only items the Feds ought to do without an Amendment and believe that tax is theft or you don't. Nobody thinks it can happen right away but set the goal and plan based on principal.

This election cycle was often beautiful in the sense that Ron Paul awoke many to asking real questions about principal and values. If you can wake people up, they don't really go back to sleep. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone else except Judge Napalitano that has that ability to bring people on board. Johnson while a valuable ally, isn't the guy that will lead the charge. I'm thinking that we probably do have to change the system from within but that doesn't excuse some of the late movements and the Rand Paul BS. The challenge is getting a person of real charachter imbedded in the party to essentially destroy the corrupt party system.

telomerase

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free Or Die
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

I'm ecstatic that some pro-liberty people work in the Democratic Party. I wish there were more. We need pro-liberty people in both parties to counteract the mindless vote swings that are driven by the national media.

I'm working in the Republican Party because I was a Ron Paul county coordinator, and unless you're very wealthy you can't just change parties every election.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:18 pm »

You'll have to wait till the house calendar is published tomorrow, but be prepared for a rather surprising seating arrangement for the reps for the next two years.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up