Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: where to live  (Read 8484 times)

dumbthumbs

• Viurem Iliures o Morirem
    • @dumbthumbs
where to live
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:32:04 pm »

I would LOVE to move to New Hampshire in the near future. However Im having trouble talking my future wife into it. She's from Santa Cruz, CA and really hates cold weather. We both love the outdoors. Where would be there best place for an outdoorsy couple to live? We both enjoy mountain biking, road biking, snowboarding, camping, and hiking. We're both nursing students right now so living commuting distance from a larger city would also be ideal. I think I could talk her into it if I can prove that there we can still enjoy all of our favorite hobbies. Any ideas?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
-Frédéric Bastiat, The Law
“The greatest purveyor of violence in the world : My own Government, I can not be Silent.” -Martin Luther King Jr.

freedomroad

Re: where to live
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »

You can do all of that within a relatively short drive in NH. So just move anywhere in NH where you find a job and you are set.

If you really hates the cold weather, you can always have a place in NH and a place in CA. Mitt Romney does it, why cannot you :) But seriously, NH has the highest or near the highest amount of 2nd homes in the country. It is pretty common for people to have a house in NH and another in FL, MA or another state. A 3 season cabin in NH isn't expensive and the property taxes are likely low on it.

Of course, if you want to sell her into moving here, I recommend asking her if she wants to live in a place with low pollution, low traffic, and the lowest crime in the US. Or maybe ask her if she wants to live in the state with the smartest people in the US. Here are a whole bunch of non-liberty related reasons to move to NH. http://freestateproject.org/101Reasons

You could always take her to the New Hampshire Liberty Forum in Nashua, NH. It is coming up in Feb. She will have a chance to actually experience the weather of NH. There will be 100s of people, many of them already living in NH. If she asks people questions, they will answer. It is a good time to get a feel for the community and learn more about NH.
http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 04:45:28 pm »

Well, I had the same objections as your wife and I'm very happy up here anyway! Distinctly lacking from the 101 reasons list, as I always say, is the absence of all kinds of icky bugs and pests. Nothing like a deep freeze to keep cockroaches away! Another thing that helps is the enticing prospect of going shopping for a nice winter wardrobe :) Making snowmen, hot apple cider, missing work for snow days, getting cozy in front of a fireplace, skiing, snowtubing, ice skating are all great things about winter. Ultimately, if your wife really loves you and is even somewhat interested in liberty, I think she'll come around sooner or later. Best of luck!

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »

The most mild climate here is the seacoast no doubt, probably the Seabrook area.  The mountains are a short drive up 101 or 16 from there.  Liike L&P posted  and if you have money you may want to be "snow birds."  As long as you spend 6+ months in NH you're legal residents.  However if you like snow boarding the snow is only here in the winter ;).  If the temperature is less important you can live in the mountains, which is probably the best place for outdoorsy people.  There are a ton of outdoorsy things to do in NH regardless of the season.  Somethings you may want to try that you can't do in southern CA is cross country skiing, or snowmobiling.  You get the fall culture (cider, pumpkins, apple festivals) and leaf season (which is a great time to bike in the mountains) you don't get in CA.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

dumbthumbs

• @dumbthumbs
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 05:16:54 am »

I talked to her today about NH and she seemed pretty open to the idea after I told her that an outdoor lifestyle could be enjoyed from almost anywhere in NH. I realized that I really havent introduced myself on here yet so here goes... My name in Ross and Im am currently going to school in Lincoln, NE. I am a nursing student, as is my girlfriend, and I graduate in 2015. We are going to Spain to study abroad next semester so I dont think we'll be able to make it to next years liberty forum or the porc fest but there is always the year after!!!
I'm thinking that the Manchester area looks the most promising for a nursing job right out of school so if we make it there we'll probably get an apartment in that area. If we decide to stay there long term I'm liking the idea of building on some land between Manchester and Keene. That seems like the ideal place to take in some country living while taking part in the FSP. It looks like it should be close to future liberty forums as well (assuming that they're usually held in Nashua). In the mean time, I've recently become involved in the Libertarian Party of Nebraska. It seems like the best option I have to hang around some liberty minded people in this area. I'm trying to do some recruiting for the FSP whenever possible as well. Thanks for the advise and I look forward to visiting the free state ASAP. Let me know of there if anything else I can do to help the FSP from... SMH Nebraska lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:18:45 am by dumbthumbs »
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
“The greatest purveyor of violence in the world : My own Government, I can not be Silent.” -Martin Luther King Jr.

TheMagicBullet

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:29:44 am »

That's great to hear that she was open to it! Have an awesome time on your semester abroad, and hope to see you at future stuff!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

Portsmouth Hospital and Darthmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center are the biggest/best hospitals in NH.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

time4liberty

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »

Eric Freerock

• Moving Summer 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 03:05:55 pm »

There's plenty to do in all seasons.  The cold isn't really a big deal, you get used to the cold plus if you're properly clothed it doesn't really matter, if you're cold you're not wearing the right clothes.  You pretty much have skiing/snowboarding from November to May if you want it.  There are plenty of other winter activities out there to strike your fancy like ice skating, pond hockey, sledding (totally not just for kids), tubing, snow golf.  Hiking and camping opportunities are abound, there's 100s of miles of the Appalachian trail in VT, NH and ME , plus plenty of mountain biking and trail running opportunities.  Surface water such as lakes are clean and good for swimming, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, etc... There's rock climbing, mountain climbing.  Motor sports of all kinds.  NH,VT and ME have extensive snowmobile trail systems with 100s, probably over a 1000 miles of trail if you added it all up, most of those trails are also open to cross country skiing in the winter as well as human powered traffic in the non-winter months.

dumbthumbs

• @dumbthumbs
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:45:57 pm »

Yeah I really miss snowmobiling I haven't had a chance to do that since I lived in Minnesota! NH just keeps sounding better and better!

time4liberty

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »

Here's an ambitious hike -- a friend of mine and I did it last summer, and it was gorgeous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Traverse

Or, you can do one or more of these peaks separately (I don't know how strenuous you and your future wife prefer your hikes).

My favorite ski mountain in NE (other very nice resorts are much closer, but none are better IMO):

http://www.sugarloaf.com/index.html

Here's some very ambitious skiing/boarding (I haven't done this):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckerman_Ravine

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:57:12 pm by time4liberty »

dumbthumbs

• @dumbthumbs
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:36:44 pm »

Wow very impressive! We did a four day guided hike on the Inca train in Peru this summer with and elevation gain of 1100m in one day. She's hiked half dome and I've done some smaller hikes in the MN boundary waters. But that hike does look pretty sick! I feel pretty comfortable about moving to NH now!

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:52 am »

There's plenty to do in all seasons.  The cold isn't really a big deal, you get used to the cold plus if you're properly clothed it doesn't really matter, if you're cold you're not wearing the right clothes.  You pretty much have skiing/snowboarding from November to May if you want it.  There are plenty of other winter activities out there to strike your fancy like ice skating, pond hockey, sledding (totally not just for kids), tubing, snow golf.  Hiking and camping opportunities are abound, there's 100s of miles of the Appalachian trail in VT, NH and ME , plus plenty of mountain biking and trail running opportunities.  Surface water such as lakes are clean and good for swimming, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, etc... There's rock climbing, mountain climbing.  Motor sports of all kinds.  NH,VT and ME have extensive snowmobile trail systems with 100s, probably over a 1000 miles of trail if you added it all up, most of those trails are also open to cross country skiing in the winter as well as human powered traffic in the non-winter months.
NH has about 7000 in itself. Maine probably close to 10,000. But Maine is cheaper.

time4liberty

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14:42 am »

NH has about 7000 in itself. Maine probably close to 10,000. But Maine is cheaper.

I hear Maine has no snowmobile speed limits (unless the land owner sets one), wheras NH does (even on private property). Another thing for pro-liberty reps to fix ...

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:23:59 pm »

I hear Maine has no snowmobile speed limits (unless the land owner sets one), wheras NH does (even on private property). Another thing for pro-liberty reps to fix ...

NH has specific limits, according to RSA215-C:8, for certain specific situations:
(1) 10 miles per hour within 150 feet of any so-called bob-house, fishing shanty, or occupied fishing hole of another.
(2) 10 miles per hour on class I through VI highways when the snowmobile is being operated within the rights-of-way adjacent to such highways; town or city sidewalks; class IV, V, and VI highways approved for snowmobile operation; and bridges open for snowmobile operation.
(3) 10 miles per hour at trail junctions or parking lots, or when passing trail grooming equipment.
(4) 15 miles per hour on plowed roads on department of resources and economic development property open to snowmobile operation.
(5) 35 miles per hour on all trail connectors.
(6) 45 miles per hour when operating a snowmobile or OHRV on any approved snowmobile trail.
(there are some specific speeds set forth for specific lakes, elsewhere)

So, the general 45mph limit only applies on "approved snowmobile trails," which appears to be a governmental designation by the bureau of trails, so I don't know that it would apply to totally-private property; it seems like it would only apply to private property for which the owner has sought that designation.  Else, the speed limit is whatever is "reasonable and prudent" with "regard for actual and potential hazards," and that seems to be the only part that would apply to totally-private property.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up