Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: checking out N.H.  (Read 3015 times)

realquiet09

checking out N.H.
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »

My family and I are coming up from N.J. in a few weeks to search for a fitting community in New Hampshire. I plan on checking out the Lebanon area along with Deerfield and Keene. I consider myself a lower case libertarian who is looking for a good community for my two little ones five and two. Im in search for a home with a little property for my self reliance needs (garden,chickens,goat,ect.) Any other places that anyone can suggest would be much appreciated. Also I was wandering about services that are needed or in demand. More in the labor area. I commmitted myself to the F.S.P. 2014 2015 but would love to make N.H. my home by spring of 2013 because my gut is telling me to leave now ! Thanks Craig G.

freedomroad

Re: checking out N.H.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:08:00 pm »

Welcome to the forum. If you are considering putting your kids in non-charter government schools, I recommend against Keene. Some of the government school kids don't like some of the actions some of the people in Keene have taken. There are a variety of private schools in Keene and the area, though.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: checking out N.H.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »

Be sure to check out other areas of the state too;

Until you actually live somewhere its very difficult to tell how you will like it so focus on getting here then on finding somewhere permanent. Its worth renting until you are settled in, different areas of the state really do have very different personalities.

In terms of schools it really depends what you are looking for. This map is very good for looking at public school districts, the suburbs and feeder towns around Nashua, Manchester, Concord and Portsmouth score the best. Charter schools there are 18 in the state with a bunch more waiting for the state education board to open back up approvals after a funding issue was resolved, as with public schools it very much depends what you are looking for as most of the charter schools specialize in a specific area. Private schools are also fairly affordable particularly with the new voucher program, if you qualify then you would be paying $3-$7k per child per year for private school.