Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atlas 2  (Read 5810 times)

Sam Adams

Atlas 2
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

Just saw Ayn Rand movie, Atlas 2 in the cinema. FANTASTIC Movie. I,m sure most of you read her book, Atlas Shrug? I better buy the book now, instead of waiting 4 Atlas 3 to come out. Of course, movie content is direct attack on US govt in complete form as we know it today. Must see for all, and may even open up some none believers eyes? Movie hit on Fair Share, Occupy movement, collapse of economy, Govt directive 10386 I think# which is emergency powers passed last year which controls ALL manufactoring,natural resources, comm., means of trans, storage,  food and farms, even LABOR. Shows what happens under cost controls and govt take over, loss of private prop. and private business.

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
Re: Atlas 2
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:39:16 pm »

I liked it a lot as well (particularly in relation to the first one). Really made a gripping story out of the moral case for free enterprise. I especially loved how they meshed it with current events.

I went to a pub with some friends afterwards, and to our surprise the busty Asian waitress had actually read the book and seen the first movie. A pleasant surprise, to be sure.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:07:55 am »

Both were very enjoyable. I'll have to read the book(s) as well. :-)
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

Winston Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:40:12 am »

Never read this one, but I enjoyd Anthem very much when I was in high school.  If you like 1984 but with an extra Libertarian twist, give it a try.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:02:20 am »

Never read this one, but I enjoyd Anthem very much when I was in high school.  If you like 1984 but with an extra Libertarian twist, give it a try.

Anthem is the only Rand book I've read (obviously, length was a factor), and I enjoyed it. Pretty much sums up the whole "screw you guys, I'm going home" mentality without having to read a huge tome.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

crossonscout

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:15:03 pm »

I still haven't read 1984... I gotta change that...
"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act." - Why The Gun is Civilization

Cbonas81

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:53:28 pm »

Just watched it last night via on demand. The only disappointing aspect was when it ended now forcing me to wait for part 3 lol

crackbottomlouis

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:23:06 pm »

My dad gave me atlas shrugged when I was 13 and I couldn't put it down. I've read all her stuff and love it. It does get pretty long winded at times but I owe a lot of my political leanings today to her books.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:06:36 am »

I went in with extremely low expectations due to the first movie so I actually ended up pleasantly surprised. It wasn't totally awful.

I liked the premise and message of the book but I thought it was horribly-written. This causes Neal a great deal of stress. We've talked about it on the show a couple of times if you care to hear my reasoning.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »

I went in with extremely low expectations due to the first movie so I actually ended up pleasantly surprised. It wasn't totally awful.

I liked the premise and message of the book but I thought it was horribly-written. This causes Neal a great deal of stress. We've talked about it on the show a couple of times if you care to hear my reasoning.

Well, it is horribly written. As literature, The Fountainhead is much better, and makes the same points.

mbuckley52

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »

reminds me of what is going on now. the government takes what it wants and taxes you on the rest.
If someone can't afford Insurance to bad get a job. I don't go to work to support a bunch of free loading pieces of crap that want to sell drugs and suck off my money teat.

I say F them

Great movies both of them
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything